Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Joined The Rav4 Club Today..alarm Problem

Flashash

Learnt a lot on here the last few weeks, loads of info and knowledge.

Picked up my first Toyota today, rav 4 xt4 2005 vvti manal with 47000 miles and very tidy condition.

Has a fault with the alarm which the seller did tell me about before I bought it.

This is what happens

Pull up at petrol station

Unlock petrol flap and get out with keys

Fill with petrol

Close flap... Alarm goes off

Any ideas what could cause this?

Standard Toyota alarm I assume

Cheers

Ashley

Learnt a lot on here the last few weeks, loads of info and knowledge.

Picked up my first Toyota today, rav 4 xt4 2005 vvti manal with 47000 miles and very tidy condition.

Has a fault with the alarm which the seller did tell me about before I bought it.

This is what happens

Pull up at petrol station

Unlock petrol flap and get out with keys

Fill with petrol

Close flap... Alarm goes off

Any ideas what could cause this?

Standard Toyota alarm I assume

Cheers

Ashley

Hi Ash, and welcome aboard the Nub of Clutters,

I have never actually checked wife's car which is similar age to yours, but I am sure the petrol flap will lock as part of the central locking. So at least you are inadvertently isolating the fault to one particular area / switch. As far as how to fix.....? Well I am off to see what access there is to said switch.....could it be corrodified (yes....it's a word.....), and setting off alarm....? There are much more electrically clued up peeps on here will be along to compliment me on my first bit of sense this year......aye......right......

Big Kev

Hi Ash

Welcome to the club.

I too have experienced this issue and was advised by other more knowlegeable members here that the interior alarm sensor is located inside the RAV around the same area as the fuel filler flap and the transmission of the vibration from closing the flap sets the alarm off. I've also found that hosing under this wheel arch also sets the alarm off.

I now only lock the car after filling up to avoid this embarassment.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thank you both for your replies.

I have taken the car to a friends garage for a quick once over and it seems that the alarm is not the original.

There is an indicator lamp mounted in one of the spare switch blanks under the ashtray, it doesn't look original?

It also has the indicator lamp next to the ignition. The one under the ashtray blinks faster when a door is opened and then goes into alarm after about 10 seconds.

So I think what's happening is the alarm sets itself after 30 seconds when the ignition is turned off and the drivers door is shut. So by shutting the petrol flap it is setting the alarm off which it also does when you open any door. The doors don't lock themselves unless I press the fob button.

So I think it's just how the alarm is programmed to work and we just need to get used to that.

Thanks

Ashley

I think it is original although yes, it does look a bit cobbled. I can also assure you the fuel cap release is not linked to the central locking as my drunken Scottish friend is suggesting.

On some models there is a glass breakage sensor and it lives in the rear quarter panel. You can check by allowing the sytem to arm (usually 30 seconds) then tapping on the rear door window with a coin (but don't break it!!!).

Here is a picture of one but yours may differ slightly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-RAV-4-GLASS-BREAKAGE-SENSOR-/150900357962

Some have an adjustment screw on them and some have the adjustment remote. The control unit on a T180 is on the drivers side. I know because I had to moves Guys when I wired the boot lights.

Thanks anchorman.

So it's normall for the alarm to arm after shutting the drivers door?

I will have to try shutting the petrol flap gently and see if it still goes off.

Any way my mechanic friend had a good look round the car on the ramp and it all looks good so I'm very pleased with my purchase so far :)

Thanks guys

Thanks anchorman.

No. Who said it was?

Thanks anchorman.

No. Who said it was?

No one, it was a question.

Washed the car today and set it off twice hosing under the rear left arch as catweazle said.

So if it is not supposed to arm itself does anyone know what might cause this?

Cheers

Welcome fellow newbie.
I've just bought a T180..what a brilliant car..as are all the Rav4s..
The wifes on her third and does 22k mls year and never had a single issue with any of them
lets hope I havnt jinxed mine now.ha

Ok problem solved!

It seems that automatic arming on the tvss iv alarm is set to on

After hours of searching and trying to change the setting using instructions for the tvss v which is different I finally found the right instructions and changing it to not set automatically was easy. Here are the tvss iv instructions

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B1B61A262-6063-4E19-80F5-01ABC951B6F6%7D/TVSS%20setting%20guide%20for%20TVSS%20IV-S%20%20LHD%20T4SLSET-2-0-F.pdf

Thanks to all who helped