Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Avensis, Excessive White Smoke...

BigMo82

It's more then a little smoke Ben. I'm sure there's a fair amount of water still in the tank. Any ideas on how much someone will charge to have the back box off and back on?

if u boil a kettle u get a lot of steam for little water loss. providing the exhaust seperates ok i would guess at no more than an hours labour if u insist on doing it

There's really no point in removing the box. The condensation will simply return as a natural by product of combustion. Stop looking at the steam, keep checking your fluid levels and just 'keep on running'.

Seriously, if your coolant isn't disappearing, stop worrying, it will be fine.

Thanks for all your help guys.

my £14 elm327 bluetooth interface works with my android based smart phone (htc one x ) and the free app called torque lite...on my avensis

tried it yesterday to check out any historic or pending fault codes

everything was ok

worth a small investment

but experience tells me poor mpg visible white exhast which should smell as if running rich

is USUALY lambda sensor faulty

but could be other things

Thanks for the reply robster, I also think its some kind of sensor related issue problem is I'm sure there's more then 1 lambda sensor so does the code explain which 1 it is likely to be?

Well robster was right, according to the code reader I got a fault code of P0057 which according to the book I got with the reader is H02S bank 2 sensor 2 heater circuit low. I reset the code but it was back within 10 miles of driving. Is the O2 sensor the same as a lambda sensor?

i belive they r one and the same. but as i said b4 at least test it b4 u get a new one.#

coop

How could I test it?

Mo

you will be hard pressed for any info on how to test sensor except check the heated wires for continuity or get a manual and check voltage feedback.to see if it is in range

o2 sensors and lambda sensors are the same thing yes

sounds as if the heater element is away in it as they only give good feedback when warm hence someor most are heated depending on how far away from the engine they are. it sounds as if your duff sensor is downstream in the exhaust and struggling to get to temp and this may explain a good thrashing makes the rich running conditions almost dissapear.

might not be the right thing to do but you usually just replace the sensor

ive taken sensors from forklifts to get a car through mot most if not all fitting threads are the same

as long as its same type

i.e

4 wire etc

zirconia etc

heated 02 sensor bank2 sensor 2 im not sure which one this is on your model but some good guys on here with the same moter as you will be able to tell you which one ( of a few fitted )

someone replied that rich running will cause black or blue smoke

think they thought you had a diesel

black smoke is over fuelling on a diesel for numerous reasons

blue smoke is usually comes in puffs from fuel starvation (diesel) or ofcourse after startup from leaky valve stem seals or weeping turbo

or all the time due to worn piston rings /oil control rings or leaky turbo.

glad your heading in the right direction and hopefully picking up a few tips

i personally would get an eBay £15 deal i have used them and cant fault them . only difference is you have to cut plug off old one and crimp to it

most common as above

4 wire zirconia

2 x white wires heater circuit

grey ground

black signal or is it the other way round

they come with instructions anyway

hard to solder as wires are silver but the crimps and some insulating tape are fine

ive seen a few garages use these and will charge the premium price of over £100 of what youd expect to pay for a Bosch

Robster thanks again for all your help. Going to look into this sometime next week.

Mo

Here are some pdf files about where to find the sensor in the engine room and how to test it.

I was not sure wich engine you have, but I assumed you have the 1AZ-FSE.

I don't remember where I found these files, but I had that fault code in November after I had driven through some water on the road and I used them then.

58.pdf

m_12_0013.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you soo much for your reply. That first diagram was exactly what I was after.

Mo

another great service manual extract

is this from a subscribed to, or purchased pdf ebook ?

I believe it is something I found at internet and then saved it on the computer. Sometimes you find good stuff there.

i wouldnt go buying new 02sensors just yet check the connection plugs on them first give them a bit of a clean have been told 95% of sensors/plugs just need cleaned.

Ok planning on cleaning/checking or replacing this sensor on Wednesday this week. I have seen the replacement parts tend to have different length cables on them. Any ideas on how I can check how long the cable has to be? Also are these sensors pretty easy to replace? As always I appreciate any help

Mo

i belive u need a specalist socket weather this is cos u cant get enough leaverage with a spanner im not sure... but i imagine they will be in there tight becuse of the extreem temp differences etc.

coop

my £14 elm327 bluetooth interface works with my android based smart phone (htc one x ) and the free app called torque lite...on my avensis

tried it yesterday to check out any historic or pending fault codes

everything was ok

worth a small investment

but experience tells me poor mpg visible white exhast which should smell as if running rich

is USUALY lambda sensor faulty

but could be other things

Ok got a service done yesterday including spark plugs, smoke is still there and I have tried the connection for the lambda sensor so I'm going to go and get another sensor. The sensor that's out is the one at the top, near the front of the engine and its the easiest to replace. It's bank 2 sensor 2. Looked at Euro Car Parts and they seem to have about 10 different versions. Will they all be compatible?

Just went out to drop the little one to nursery and noticed that a few drops of what looked like water dropped out of the exhaust. I tried to smell it but it didn't smell like fuel or oil. I keep trying to ignore the smoke but its become a habit where I keep looking at it in my drivers side mirror. I think the car my have given me a little OCD!

That dripping is normal, just condensation getting blown to the end of the exhaust. Most motorbikes have a little hole on the lower part of the silencer to allow this condensation to drain away. Nothing to worry about here - although it makes a right mess of the garage floor when it drips and sprays about. Gives owners a scare the first time they notice it though! 'Oh no! I've got a hole in my exhaust!' etc

Thanks for the reply Druid Boy, now that I know the water is normal I just need this damn smoke to stop. Fingers crossed the o2 sensor replacement will sort this.

Just weird that theres no oil loss, no coolant loss, no overheating, good power in every gear, no misfire or juddering.

What I have noticed is the smoke is more visable when I am reversing! And also I dont get much smoke for the first few minutes of driving and then I can see it when im pulling off from stationary.

Does the exhaust have some kind of a recirculating valve which may be blocked? just a thought.

Mo

Nope, no valves, no trickery, just plain old simple water vapour as a natural by-product of combustion. If you aren't losing coolant then the only place the steam can be coming from is combustion. The reason you see it more when you reverse is because you are driving into it - a bit like pi**ing in the wind, if you catch my drift....

"a bit like pi**ing in the wind, if you catch my drift...."

Well thats one hell of a description there mate. lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links