Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2003 Vvti Rattle/vibration From Engine

Dax

Hi all,

I've recently bought my girlfriend a rav4 runabout. It's been brilliant with no complaints, but yesterday when she picked me up I heard a noise from the engine.

I had a quick listen this morning and there appears to be a rattle/vibration noise which is at its loudest at about 3000rpm. It seems louder when the engine is cold and using a long screwdriver to have a listen it sounds like its coming from the air intake side.

Does anybody know what it may be?

Thanks in advance

Dax

first thing is to inspect released parts / hoses / plastic covers

second thing is to inspect MAF and sparks

wait for others

cheers /Igor

Hello Dax. A bit more information would help those who may have suggestions. Just simple stuff like model, year engine type.............

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry for the lack of info. It's a rav4 vx 2ltr vvti.

It's only done 44k. It's full of oil etc.

like I said previous the noise seems to be loudest from the back of the engine. I think ill try post a video after I get home. If you hear it you might know what it is.

Could it be anything to do with cold start because it seems to quieten off when it's warmed up.

Cheers

Dax

Dax......have a good inspect underneath.....is there an exhaust heat shield come loose and rattling aff yer exhaust....?

Big Kev

Hiya mate thanks for the reply. I will have a look at that but to e honest it's not that sort of rattle. I've had heat shields rattle away before. Using a long screwdriver to listen around the engine it was definitely a lot louder when I listened to the inlet manifold round the back to the left hand side. It's not a ticky rattle its more of a whirring rattle that intensify a with engine speed. Like I said as the engine warms up the noise reduces.

I can't do any further inspections until I finish work unfortunately.

Regards

Dax

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links