Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excessive Diesel Use

flashgary1

On my dash comp screen it tells me the miles i have done but the range i have drops by 2 miles to every mile i do. The fuel gauge is also going down fast. I have checked for leaks and tires are at correct pressure. Could it be as simple as changing Air and Fuel filters?

an engine service always a good first step

any other symptoms of poor starting / poor performance or black smoke etc

other reasons could be

brakes dragging

fuel leak

a sail on the roof lol

overfueling

trip computer innacuracy due to wheel / tyre change differences or even a different gearbox with a lower ratio fitted.

trip computers are just a rough guide anyway and i always fill up and do the average manual calculation.

the vauxhall trip computer is rotten as every time you stop at lights it sees engine running and no mph this gives the whole average fuel consumption figure a bum steer. the only way to make it accurate is to constantly reset it.

• Like 2

Yes thanks for that. I changed the Air filter before going to darts last night and it made a bit of difference. I will change the fuel filter this morning as soon as the drummer in my head stops his epic solo and post the out come for all to see. Oh and i took the sail off the roof.

I wasn't getting good mpg. I always use BP.

So I have used just had it serviced today.

Air, Fuel, Oil filters changed & oil 5w 30 and some Toyota injector cleaner.

Will let you know if it makes any difference.

• Like 1

Right after the drum solo stopped i got out and changed the fuel filter. Never done one before cos i am more a hawk and trowel man than a spanner and screwdriver man. It was ***** easy and it seems so far my troubles are over. The old one was brown with what looked like rust and the diesel that came out was filthy and had water in it along with flakes of brown ******* so i would say it needed doing about 5 yrs ago, anyway better late than never i hope.Thanks for any advice given if i can repay the help i will.

• Like 1

I have found in the past that, after refuelling, the range meter dropped rapidly - approximately double the rate of the miles covered. It evens up after a while. If your issue is persistent then the servicing checks and changes you are making will help. EGR valve may be coking things up a bit as well. There's loads of information on here about cleaning EGR valves etc if you do a search.

All the best.