Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worried About Something Under Bonnet - Yaris 2010 1.33

oldie68

On checking my levels a few days ago, I saw something I hadn't noticed before.

('Back' and 'front' are with reference to standing at the front bumper).

Just to the right of the back of the water header tank, there's a black (plastic?) block about 1.5 * 1 inches. There's a a thick cable coming in the back, which splits into 7 or 8 thin wires, each going into the centre of a cylinder.

It looks to me as though there should be a cover on this, because I don't remember noticing it before. There is what could be either a shield, or a lid, on the front of the block, raised above it. This moves slightly, but doesn't fold down over the block.

Anyone recognise this, and know whether it should have a cover? I've done google searches, but can't find a decent photo of that part of the car.

I'd take a photo myself, except that I don't know how to link to it.

Thanks in advance.

I believe the plug, wiring harness & control unit you are referring to is the control system for the stop / start fitted to your Yaris, I work at a Toyota dealer and you are not the first person to mention this, we investigated and found that the plug is actually fully sealed and water proof when plugged in, we also compared with other stop / start Yaris's which where all the same. We raised a case with Toyota's technical department as the client was not satisfied and wanted a cover, the response was as we had already found the plug is water proof and any cover would only serve a cosmetic purpose a was not necessary.

Devon

Thanks Devon Aygo : that's a weight off my mind. For some reason I'd never noticed it before when I've been checking the levels.

This is why we need Devon on the forum .... a man in the know .... who actually knows! ;)

Pete.

This is why we need Devon on the forum .... a man in the know .... who actually knows! ;)

Pete.

I will second that!

Regards Geoff Peace

I've just had a nosey under the bonnet of my 1.33 and to be honest I've noticed what you mean, it does look like there's a cover missing over this module. The block on mine's a metal thing similar in appearance to the car's ECU (that is under the scuttle panel behind the Battery with Denso on it, out of interest).

Question; how do I upload a pic from the computer onto here?

• Thanks Adam C. It makes me happier that they're all the same. Mind, you'd think Toyota, if they're asked so often, could produce a little plastic cover with "Happy now?" stamped on it.