Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq - Car Hesitates Sometimes When Starting Off

bobkneale

This has happened a few times now and at first I put it down to me rather than the car, however it is the car and it is very intermittent, so I have written to my Toyota dealer, I have also checked (from previous posts and pictures etc ) it seems my car has the old type EGR valve fitted. So beginning to feel this is the problem and I should get the later EGR valve fitted as has been reccomended by many on this forum. My Toyota dealer will receive my "registered delivery" letter in day or so, a part "Extract" from my letter is outlined below FYI:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I purchased the car from you as an approved Toyota on 24th Jan 2013.
The car has covered approximately 1,000 miles since the above purchase date and I am happy with the car with one exception.

The Vehicle has on occasions (Intermittently) hesitated from pulling away a few times.

This did concern me from a safety perspective. I joined the Toyota owner’s club forum and discovered that there is a very well documented problem with this particular car related to the EGR valve and associated components.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136556&hl=%20egr%20%20problem&page=5

The Toyota’s owners club forum have quite extensively researched this safety issue to its satisfactory conclusion it is also mentioned on a number of reputable internet posts about the Toyota IQ vehicle, this information has enabled me to visually check my vehicle’s EGR

valve layout in my engine compartment in comparison with the new modified EGR
valve that has been fitted to many Toyota IQ vehicle’s by Toyota in order to resolve this issue.

I can see that my vehicle has the old (problematic) valve and associated components fitted to it.

As the problem is intermittent and also a safety issue I am writing this letter to request that my vehicle be repaired under the Approved Toyota Warranty that I have in place.

I am somewhat disappointed that this known fault was not rectified in advance on me buying the vehicle, also disappointed that there have a number of others Toyota owners on the owners club forum that have had the same problem and in some cases have not got a positive response
from there Toyota dealer in the first instance. However in spite of this my faith in the Toyota Motor Company in general will be restored after the repair has been quickly successfully and comprehensively resolved by you. Please find attached to this letter copies of “some” of the information that has led me to this conclusion as stated above. I now look forward to you contacting me very soon to book the vehicle into your repair workshop to get the problem rectified.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Comments on the above are welcomed.

Regards Bob.

Well constructed letter Bob. That will hopefully mean you get a positive response, and the EGR updated.

Why didn't you just ring them first, if they are a good dealer you could have it booked in by now. Also why put an internet link in a hand written letter? They won't be able to see the web page by typing that in.

Actually given the shenanigans getting this issue sorted out for some people, I can understand putting it in writing, and therefore getting the facts out without having to go through any fob offs and back and forth with the service desk

I would have thought ringing them or calling in person first to give them a chance (not all dealers are the same), then if you get fobbed off go the letter route. Would be just my preference that's all.

Why didn't you just ring them first, if they are a good dealer you could have it booked in by now. Also why put an internet link in a hand written letter? They won't be able to see the web page by typing that in.

Hi Soeley, You are right I could have rang them first, it was a choice I made based upon other peoples struggles to get the fault retified also based upon the fact that perhaps Toyota should have fitted the modified valve and associated parts before I took ownership of the car, I did specificaly ask about any warrenty work that might be required up front and also have checked "on line" and this problem does not come up a product recall for my specific vechile. I have included hard copies of internet refrences with my letter as well as the "link" Googling Toyota IQ EGR valve problem the issue pops up quite easliy, anyhow, so based upon all these facts decided to write a letter up front. Lets hope they are a good dealer ? that I have no hassle and get it sorted. Many Thanks for your inputs, Positive Regards Bob.

Had a call from my Toyota dealer today stating that the EGR valve problem is a known issue and they should be able to get it corrected through the modifications as already outlined earlier in this forum through my warranty. I have not got any date yet for the work to be done, however the response looks positive so far, will keep this forum posted of progress.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

Had a call from my Toyota dealer today stating that the EGR valve problem is a known issue and they should be able to get it corrected through the modifications as already outlined earlier in this forum through my warranty. I have not got any date yet for the work to be done, however the response looks positive so far, will keep this forum posted of progress.

Update, - Dealer has now confirmed appointment for 20th March 2013 for work to be completed under Toyota Warranty so so far a very positive result from my Toyota dealer. After completion of the work I will post my review of the dealer.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

Glad to hear of your success so far, Bob, lets hope the dealer continues the way he started and does the work to your satisfaction.

As you say, keep us informed!

John

Good result :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

EGR valve and associated parts replaced yesterday under extended Toyota warranty, a very good and fast response from Toyota Dealer Service Manager Steve Ure at Lindop Toyota Queensferry Deeside. :flowers: Now assuming problem is fixed, time will tell.

• Like 1

Good news, now you can really start to enjoy your iQ :)

Since EGR valve replacement on 20th March 2013 so far:

No more hestiation starting off, engine seems a bit more responsive in general to me. MPG average is slightly up from previously, now at 52MPG (short runs & cold weather) So all looks promising.

Glad I pushed too get it done !

Positive Regards, Bob.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dear Bob

Just a note to ask a few things...

How is the car now 2.5 months after the repair? No more hesitations on start off?

Please briefly expplain what they changed. I understand that they changed the EGR valve. Is it a new one different than the old one you had?

What else did they change?

Your reply will be much appreciated

Regards

Dear Marios,

I answer to your above questions:

No more hesitations at all now when starting off.

Car runs smother than before, and more power (well it "feels" that way) !

I believe there are a few other associated parts that got changed along with the new modified EGR valve, and there are pictures of the differences between the old EGR V new and "modified" EGR in older posts on this forum, just do a search and you will find more info.

EGR valve change was done under warranty at no cost to me other than my time.

My dealer responded quickly to my letter and the work was completed in about 4hrs ish after booking it in.

Very glad I got it done whilst still under warranty, will be quite an expensive job if you have to pay for it outside warranty period.

Car is still performing well a few months later.

Also my MPG improved from about 55MPG to about 60MPG average after the EGR change, however that could also be due to my improved driving habits !

Positive Regards, Bob.

• Like 1

After reading the above posts, I am wondering if the problem I have with my North American 1.3L CVT 2012 IQ is possibly due to the same EGR valve problem as it would intermittently stall when stopping at an intersection waiting for the lights to change. I also experience very slow acceleration off the start, but I just assumed it is due to my hypermilieaging driving habits on a CVT IQ, LOL. Anyone else experience the same problem, and do you think I should take the car in and ask them to check for faulty EGR valve problem?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Why hasn't there been a worldwide recall on this safety issue by Toyota? Are they waiting for the first victim before they move?

Toyota may or may not monitor topics and posts on TOC - don't know.

If they don't, making posts on TOC suggesting recall or similar action may be wasted effort.

If owners are concerned about problems with their vehicle which may be safety related, there is a mechanism for reporting vehicle safety defects via VOSA - see https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect (which also includes some guidance on vehicle safety defects). This may be a more effective method of making Toyota aware of your concerns.

• Like 1

Toyota and others like results in Consumer Surveys, Best Used Car, Best Dealership etc.

Best car over 4 years old.

These posts forewarn potential Customers., Forewarned is Forearmed.

Toyota can look after them shelves, by looking after Customers.

If anyone wants to make Toyota more aware that EGR problem should be made re call item by Toyota UK and worldwide you can write to:

Mr Jon Williams, President and Managing Director of Toyota GB,

Toyota (GB) plc

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

United Kingdom

OR:

IN JAPAN - Board of Directors

Address - Toyota-Cho, Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture 471-8571, Japan

Akira Imura - Chairman

Chairman

Akira