Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starlet Compatible Workshop Manuals?

hirocase

I have recently purchased a 1999 Starlet Life in Australia and am having a hard time finding a workshop manual.

I believe this model is also known as a Starlet Caret or EP91 and has the 4e-fe engine. Is there another workshop manual I can purchase which will at least cover the same engine?

Thanks!

First generation 4E-FE

The first generation of 4E engines found in the Starlet GI, Soleil and Corolla models were produced from 1989 until 1996. The engine found in these two models produces 99 bhp (74 kW) at 6,600 rpm and 86 lb·ft (117 N·m) at 5,200 rpm. This engine had more in common with the 4E-FTE, sharing the same throttle body, and slightly larger fuel injectors.

Specs:

74 mm Bore

77.4 mm Stroke

9.6:1 Compression Ratio

4E-FTE

The first generation 4E-FE was the basis of the 4E-FTE in 1989, which was a turbocharged engine producing 133 hp (99 kW) at 6,400 rpm with 116 lb·ft (157 N·m) of torque at 4,800 rpm. The 4E-FTE was the most powerful of the E series engines ever produced. It was produced exclusively for the Toyota Starlet GT Turbo (Japan Only) and its replacement, the Toyota Glanza V (Japan only). However the 4E-FTE was a very popular conversion engine by enthusiasts for many small Toyota cars such as the Corolla, Tercel, Paseo and Sera which it fitted into with standard Toyota parts. The 4E-FTE differed internally from the 4E-FE only by its stronger connecting rods, lower compression cylinder head and up-rated valve springs. It also featured a harmonic damper instead of a normal crankshaft pulley. The turbocharger fitted to the 4E-FTE was Toyota's own CT9 model, which featured an internal waste gate and had 2 modes: low (0.4 bar/40 kPa) and high (0.65 bar/65 kPa) boost. The low boost mode was electronically controlled by a solenoid valve and the ECU and the high boost was controlled by an actuator connected to the turbocharger. The 4E-FTE also had a top mounted, air cooled intercooler. The 4E-FTE was mated to the Toyota C52 transmission (for the EP82 Starlet GT) and the C56 transmission (for the EP91 Glanza V).

Specs:

74 mm Bore

77.4 mm Stroke

8.2:1 Compression Ratio

Second generation 4E-FE

The 2nd Generation of the 4E-FE was introduced in 1996 producing less peak power: 88 bhp (66 kW) at 5,500 rpm, but with a slight increase in peak torque 87 lb·ft (118 N·m) at 4,400 rpm. The 2nd generation of the 4E-FE was essentially the same engine as the first but the intake and exhaust manifolds were changed along with a slight alteration of the ECU meant to reduce exhaust emissions.

Specs:

74.3 mm Bore

77.4 mm Stroke

9.6:1 Compression Ratio

Third generation 4E-FE

In 1997 the intake manifold was changed again along with the ECU and the result was 85 bhp for the Corolla and 82 bhp for the Starlet. This engine was discontinued in 1999.

Ok so I have a 3rd generation 4e-fe then? Great thanks!

Now any idea what about a compatible workshop manual?

Ah unfortunately all the manuals on this site appear to be in russian or other non-english languages?

You could try a Google search

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota didn't allow Haynes to produce a manual for the later models! You had to buy Toyota's own for the same price as a small island!

There's a Corolla Manual that has the 4EFE engine and similar suspension. I have a pdf copy I use.

• 3 years later...
On 3/16/2013 at 5:44 AM, Dicky-Art said:

Toyota didn't allow Haynes to produce a manual for the later models! You had to buy Toyota's own for the same price as a small island!

There's a Corolla Manual that has the 4EFE engine and similar suspension. I have a pdf copy I use.

Thanks for the info Dicky-Art. Any chance you still have the pdf (and perhaps a link to it)?

On 3/2/2013 at 4:54 PM, hirocase said:

I have recently purchased a 1999 Starlet Life in Australia and am having a hard time finding a workshop manual.

I believe this model is also known as a Starlet Caret or EP91 and has the 4e-fe engine. Is there another workshop manual I can purchase which will at least cover the same engine?

Thanks!

Hi Hiro

I'm looking for the same manual. Were you successful in your search?

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I agree with Dicky-Art that the Haynes manual on the Toyota Corolla is useful for Starlet owners.

So for anything engine and transmission related you want Haynes 3259: Toyota Corolla Aug 1992 to 1997 (K to P registration) Petrol. That one covers the 4E-FE engine and the C150 manual transmission, there is also a chapter on some automatic transmission.

For other parts of the Starlet I found the official Toyota RM486M "Werkstatthandbuch für fahrwerk und karosserie" useful. The German version was the only thing I could get my hands on. I bought it from a German eBay seller. I think it was used in a professional repair shop. I also went to a Toyota dealer and ask for a dealer level workshop manual but I found them not friendly at all. I didn't get a straight answer if they where able to order it. I doubt if they are using such a manual themselves. Maybe only the Germans had the high work ethic to do the repairs by the book.

Regards, Center

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

On 3/2/2013 at 5:54 AM, hirocase said:

Thanks!

Hi hirocase, 

I have a 97’ Starlet, EP91 4E-FE and am also looking for a workshop manual (Rear axle torque value - bearing change) . Did you end up finding a workshop manual? 

Cheers,

Daphney