Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**important**verso-S T Spirit.......replacement Dunlop Tyres...

Red Yaris 54

A word of warning to those owners of the T Spirit with OEM fit of DUNLOP SP SPORT 2030 tyres size 185/60 R16 86H

These tyres are not available in UK and currently there are no plans that DUNLOP will be marketing them in the foreseeable future

I have spoken to Dunlop customer support and they are notifying their commercial department of the shortcomings.

Further research has found that only Bridgestone produce a tyre suitable for our 16 inch wheel size.......HOWEVER....At time of writing the Bridgestone tyre is on back order with a minimum waiting time of FOUR WEEKS!

This of course means that if TSpirit owners get a blow out that is irreparable by using the supplied tyre repair solution and compressor, your car may well be off the road for four weeks

When I purchased my car I bought a space saver as a back up......but these only should be used for a maximum of 50 miles at 50 MPH

I HAVE FOUND THAT OUR SIZE OF TYRE IS MARKETED BY Continental AND FIRESTONE......BUT IS ONLY SUITABLE FOR WINTER USE......(And considerably higher priced)

TOYOTA GB were notified of the situation by me on Thursday 28 February and have registered the query ......I am yet to receive a reply

So T Spirit owners.....be careful not to get a blow out and when your tyres are approaching replacement time...get your tyre supplier notified before you really need them

As an aside.....If presented with a blown out tyre, would YOUR Toyota dealer lend you a courtesy car for four weeks???

• Like 2

Just to inform you i had this problem with my verso s t spirit when it needed two replacement tyres after 20,000 service. The dealer was unable to locate any replacement tyres. I contacted a local tyre supplier who was also unable to source replacement tyres. I eventually had to replace all four tyres with a different size. The tyre replacements were 195/60-16 Nexus N6000. Toyota contributed the price of two tyres as a gesture of goodwill which was a very satisfactory outcome. I believe that the car handles better with these tyres than the original tyres.

The Dunlop tyres were indeed out of stock, we had a customer waiting for some, however the official Toyota tyre wholsaler now has stocks in

Apparantly only the Verso S and Honda Jazz use that size, the Honda's use Bridgestones which are out of stock

So if you do need the Dunlops, your dealer will be able to source them for you from the official supplier, they may not be as easy to get hold of at your local tyre house for the time being

Kingo :)

The Dunlop tyres were indeed out of stock, we had a customer waiting for some, however the official Toyota tyre wholsaler now has stocks in

Apparantly only the Verso S and Honda Jazz use that size, the Honda's use Bridgestones which are out of stock

So if you do need the Dunlops, your dealer will be able to source them for you from the official supplier, they may not be as easy to get hold of at your local tyre house for the time being

Kingo :)

Dunlop have already informed me that they do not market that size in Britain and currently have no plans to do so :(

Their Commercial department have yet to decide if the situation will change

Well I can only tell you the current situation Steve, maybe Toyota have sourced some stocks from Europe???

All I can say is we had two Dunlops for a customer last Thursday, from our official Toyota wholsaler, they have more in stock, but we have to ring them to order (they are not on the normal online ordering system) maybe this is done to retain limited stocks for Toyota dealers rather than having them available for general tyre house ordering (thats a guess!) whilst stocks are limited

Kingo

• Like 1

Well I can only tell you the current situation Steve, maybe Toyota have sourced some stocks from Europe???

All I can say is we had two Dunlops for a customer last Thursday, from our official Toyota wholsaler, they have more in stock, but we have to ring them to order (they are not on the normal online ordering system) maybe this is done to retain limited stocks for Toyota dealers rather than having them available for general tyre house ordering (thats a guess!) whilst stocks are limited

Kingo

Thanks for that......I will get in touch with the local parts manager and let him know of the situation as I don't think he was aware that they were available "offline"

That makes me feel a bit happier should I need one prior to normal replacement :)

Coolio..........bet they don't have any left now I've posted all that :lol:

• 9 months later...

How does changing tyre size stack up with insurance companies who need no excuse to void a customers cover?

Quite an old topic. The only change is to width - an increase from 185 to 195. Would still need to inform insurance company, but confirmation from a Toyota dealer to say the original equipment tyre size is unavailable in the UK should support the case for the increase in width.

• 3 months later...

Hi, just purchased our 2012 Verso -S T Spirit Multidrive having traded in our 12 year old Yaris CDX Auto.

We have for many years purchased our tyres from www.mytyres.co.uk to be delivered and fitted by our local tyre company.

Mytyres currently have Dunlop SP Sport 2030 185/60 R16 86H in stock. They also have the Toyo Proxes CF 1 in stock. Plus 7 winter tyre options.

Anyone that bothers to rattle the turkey cage to ask 'em about Christmas deserves to be told some mis-informed rubbish and / or ripped off for a hefty 'mid term' fee.

How many have told their insurance company that they now carry (and intend to use) a 'space saver', not the gunk and pump supplied?

A tyre is a consumable not unlike brake discs and pads are, and we all replace them with the exact same OEM fitting don't we!

It's all urban myth and/or in the case of insurance companies that have seen a chance to grab some easy money, a con and rip off........

Almost every policy you can buy in the UK allows for travel to other EC, so long as you behave and comply with the different motoring rules, you're covered...........and that includes having 'winter tyres' or 'snow chains' for travel during the winter months in many Alpine and other regions..............

The list of scenarios where the tyres/wheels may be different to the OEM fitted on a vehicle is numerous and various.

Can anyone point to a single case where a customer (including the vain fools that fit rubber bands to their bling) has been left high and dry by the insurance company because of a tyre fitment?

Can anyone point to a single case where a customer (including the vain fools that fit rubber bands to their bling) has been left high and dry by the insurance company because of a tyre fitment?

Actually, having worked in this job for nearly 40 years, I have seen this happen on several occasions. What tends to happen is you get a reduced payout. I have seen two claims being refused altogether, not specifically for the tyres fitted, but rather the alloys and bigger wheel/ tyre combo

As with all things insurance related, the quote they give you is based on the information provided. You might think it is a rip off, nobody has ever lost out bla bla but I would prefer to air on the side of caution and inform my insurance company of any material changes. Yes it's a rip off, I was charged a fee (think it was £15) to change address FFS, but what can you do?

Kingo :thumbsup:

One instance of an insurance company refusing to cover smaller wheels and winter tyres (not me):

"Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

As my topic has been lost in clouds, I would like to point out to members again, that Toyota Insurance do not accept a change of wheel size from original specification. I have a 2012 Auris HSD T-Spirit with 17" wheels, and enquired about fitting 15" wheels and appropriate tyres for the winter. Toyota insurance will not provide cover for this change. I have concluded that if I want 15" wheels I will have to seek out an insurer that will provide cover for alternative wheels, or change my car for an Auris HSD T4 supplied new with 15" wheels. I think the 1st option will prove the most cost effective. A disappointment, but from the number of cars fitted with different wheels, I am sure that some insurers will accommodate this change (with an amendment charge of course)."

So Toyota Insurance won't allow you to make your vehicle safer in the winter months but they'll allow you to run with 3 x 17" and 1 x space saver spare...........daft or what?

I respect the situation you have encountered with Toyota Insurance, however, it simply points to the fact that Toyota Insurance, along with a number of other insurance providers are run by fools.

As I mentioned above, travel to mountain regions in the EC, winter tyres required by law, how the fools at TI deal with that one?

I often drive down to Italy and my (smaller steel wheels with winter tyres, but same rolling diameter) sometimes stay on my vehicle for 9 months of the year, that's the way it's always been and I'm not about to start checking the situation with a operator in a call centre who works for fools!

If ever need be in the future I'll take my chance with the ombudsman and or the courts

• Like 1

The ABI have issued a notice on winter tyres, generally, they do not charge for winter tyres being fitted, they will cover them at no extra cost, what they wont cover is a non standard wheel size where you change the wheels (for larger or smaller wheels)

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

• 2 weeks later...

My Verso S T Spirit went in for service and MOT two weeks ago and needed two tyres to pass the MOT. It proved very difficult to obtain suitable tyres involving a number of phone calls by the dealership.

I am not prepared to be driving up and down the motorway with no spare and little possibility of obtaining a replacement tyre at short notice. I have reluctantly sold the car.

A poor state of affairs for a car which was first marketed only 3 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Verso-S that I bought in November 2013 with 11.5k miles on the clock.

Unfortunately I have noticed that all the wheels (Dunlop SP2030) have all cracked and with an up and coming MOT I have been advised to change 2 of them, but I am inclined to change all of them as the other 2 won't last much longer. All I can put this down to is the car not being used much and standing for a long period of time. The Dunlops seem to have a number of negative reviews.

I have been in touch with my local Toyota dealership, who have been very good and well priced.

The question is do I go for another set of Dunlops or go for another brand like Nankang AS-1?

Any opinions or experiences would be most welcome!

www.mytyres.co.uk have Toyo Proxes CF1 in stock, £107.10 fitted at your local tyre dealer. Had Proxes in the past and proved to be good tyre.