Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Range/mpg

cooper12000

ok another (silly) question. The other week i brimmed my tank (cost over 80 quid) when i looked at the range it said 406 miles. i reset the mpg average and have been driving like miss daisy most the time, ie i have it on the momentry mpg and try to keep it at atleast 60 occastionaly it drops to 30 if im going up a steep hill on the motorways i try to keep it at 70 mpg at least unless accelerating to pull into another lane to over take.

I am now down to well under half a tank (just under 300 miles) and the average mpg says around 42.

b4 this car i had a skoda 1.2 i was getting an average of 44mpg with out realy trying and when i filled it up to the brim (alot cheaper and 45 liter tank) i had 428 miles on the range.

i have spoken to several other people that own desils and they all say when they fill up the range comes up to well over 500 and thier mpg is around 50. one of the people spends most of thier time on the outside lane of the motorway making good use of the loud pedal. the other never takes the engine over 2.5k revs

i have read the desil sticky and saw the howto on cleaning the egr however once he did it the guy was reporting back figures simular to mine sticking to the legal speeds.

im disapointed if this is the sort of mpg im going to get i deliberatly bought a desil for better economy yet this is going to cost me a fortune.

coop

What engine have you got? I believe the 2.2 to be a thirsty chap but the 2.0 should give you 50ish. Also check the computer's accuracy against actual economy. One of mine was bang on, the other 5% high.

sorry should of said i have the 2.0 should of said the skoda was a petrol as well

coop

Both mine were 1.8 petrols. Driving like a granny I could get a bit over 50 mpg from the manual and about 38 from the auto. Normal driving the manual came down to about 44 but it made no difference to the auto. Motorway driving at reasonable speeds both came down to high 30's. I hear the new small engined Skodas are getting great economy figures.

I've not had my T27 2.0 diesel for long but I got 50.4 mpg over the first full tank (computer said 49.6). This was mainly motorway with cruise on and sitting at 65 mph ish. To be honest I don't think it would've made any diffence if I'd been sitting at 80.

How about checking the air filter and maybe changing the fuel filter? A choked air filter will take an easy 10% off your economy.

thanks for ur replys i shall give the car a dang good service over the next week

thanks

coop

I have a 2.2 manual with cruise control: Regularly get 50+ on longish trips, but I am OAP ....

well i tend to stick to the limits if a road is 30 i go at 30 if its 60 i go at 60. unless o course there is a valid reason why i should ie road conditions. unfortunatly this sometimes means over taking the person ion front that seems to be having a full on relastionship with thier brake pedal rather than thier accelarator and seems to forgoten that thier car has at least 5 gears not 2.

but even refraining for over taking and harsh acceleration the mpg is poor.

If I hav'nt missed the boat on this ...can anyone enlighten me with their experience of what the MPG should be in practice, of a 2009 1.8 Automatic Avensis in Town AND long distance motorway driving

Thanks

By the way I had better confirm that the car is petrol ...not Diesel

My 2.0 vvti has a range when brimmed of around 320miles and thats what it does not had any more out of a tank full regardless of how i drive

Coop, a combined mpg of about 42 is probably about right. Clealry motorway mileage helps.

then im disapointed my petrol 1.2 skoda fabia estate did that with its eyes shut

I don't believe that the range shown on the computer in an Avensis includes the reserve - I've done 600 miles on a tank in a 2.2 Tourer before I started getting twitchy & even then it iirc it only took 55 litres. Your 2.0 should do even better.

Best that I ever got was ~56mpg but that was on journeys that were pretty much all motorway with only a few miles of urban at either end (btw I don't have the lightest of feet so I'm sure that could be bettered by some - 60mpg is probably achievable).

Diesels are affected by the cold temps more than petrols combined with taking longer to warm up (& these particular engines are known to take a long time to warm even for a diesel) & more use of aircon, electric screen & mirror demist plus lights over winter all will drop your mpg noticeably.

An Octavia is also lighter than an Avensis.

When you consider that the usually unachievable 'official' MPG fig for the 2.2 engine is in the mid 40's. why do people expect to suddenly get 50+ MPG ? My Audi A4 Tdi did an average of 53 MPG, but that's because it didn't have all this emissions control to get through. DPF's kill a lot of the potentially high MPG's we could be getting these days. Unfortunately that's just reality. Even driving like a nun I struggle to get more than 43 MPG, that's why I drive normally (ie. keeping up with traffic & overtaking when necessary) & still get 41 MPG.

then im disapointed my petrol 1.2 skoda fabia estate did that with its eyes shut

Um, but this is a 2.0 diesel, its 60% bigger so you're not really going to be able to compare them. Apples and oranges and all that.

I own a 2010 1.8 petrol estate and generally drive with fuel economy in mind.

On the occasional long journeys I get about 49mpg but for local urban driving I average 38mpg but this can get down as low as 35.

When I fill up the range usually shows 440 miles. The tank holds 13.5 gallons which works out at an average mpg of 32.5. This suggests the computer does not use my driving data to calculate the range as I often get more than 500 miles from a tankfull.

Using cruise control uses more petrol than manual drive, providing you are light-footed!

there will be a bit of difference in every ones car with same engine ( same fuel and cc)

due to the model changes and specs over the years

d-cat or non d-cat

level of dpf soot clogging before the regeneration starts to clear it out causes lower mpg and holds back the power.

different gear box ratios maybey?

defo auto is worse than manual due to power transmission losses in the torque converter

cruise control always gets me much better mpg but you have to be on a long motorway run

5 and 6 speed box differences with higher overdrive ratio coupled with revised engine software and ancillaries etc

different wheel and tyre combos causing different rolling radius

drivers styles and using more or less of mentioned aircon and electricals.( putting a resistance on the aux belts sapping available power)

different petrol stations used.and grades ( different octane or cetane) ( different levels of additives or percentage of biofuel etc)

and multiple reasons why no 2 cars are exactly the same.

if your getting a bigger heavier car with more poke and defo more torque

this bigger car will soak up the road a lot better

guessing fabia 1.2 is about 70bhp

but getting same mpg

that would be enough for me

if i was wanting even better mpg id get a 1.4 or 1.6 hdi 206 estate or picasso but they are not in the same league as a toyota d4d in my opinion.

I agree with all your post Robster, except your reference to getting more mpg using cruise control. Maintaining a set speed up hills will increase fuel consumption, compared with keeping engine revs at same level allowing car to reduce speed depending on gradient of hill. The same applies going down hills where cruise control will limit your speed and not let you take advantage of the hill. Reducing the revs downhill will use less fuel and with no engine braking allow higher speed.

I've noticed my mpg has dropped recently I've got the 2.2 D4D version 2008 150bhp. No matter how gentle I am with the throttle best I can get running round is about 40mpg. Last run I got according to fuelly is 35.1 a drop of 2.8mpg. I cleaned the ERG valve as recommended last April. Question I have are

1 Do I need to clean the ERG valve again (journeys are short and local)?

2.Does it need to be taken to a garage to check it out?

3 Would a can of the additive that people mention on here make a difference?

I've tried the "Italian" tune up a few times

a drop compared to when?

MPG will drop in winter temps compared to summer & especially if your journeys aren't long enough for the engine to reach normal operating temp.

Fair point there Heidfirst would you expect to see such a drop apart from the cold weather?

I run a 2.0 D-4D T4 which I bought new in June 2010. Have maintained a meticulous mileage record since then and the average over 31,000 miles has been 41 mpg with little variation over the 3 years of ownership. The mileage covered includes a lot of stop start town driving and I have noticed that in colder weather consumption goes down to as low as 30 mpg. On longer journies down to south of France for instance, have achieved over 50mpg with load including 4 adults and roof box.

Lately has been losing power particularly in cold weather and have had fuel filter replaced today and egr valve cleaned out. Has made such a difference.

For some reason this egr clean is not included in the official maintenance schedule and I reckon this is very much an ommission on Toyota's part. The egr valve clean today showed how much residue had built up over 31,000 miles and I don't know how Toyota can condone not making this an essential feature in the service schedule.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with this economy but I don't think it is as good as the Toyota statistics suggest it should be.

Hope this information is of some help

speedwaythom thanks for the info

I'm thinking of getting the EGR valve done again I think the way I did it wasn't as thorough as a garage could do it

Changed the air filter about 2 weeks ago but not the fuel filter

I didn't think air temp would have such an affect