Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Fluid Change Every 2 Years Or Not..?

2912pwil

Next service due, just passed MoT (good) but brake pedal a bit spongy - albeit braking is fine.

Couldn't remember when brake fluid last changed so I checked all my service invoices & notes (blimey that was boring..). It appears - according to the service invoices & service tick-sheets - never to have had brake fluid changed.

The service book says change brake fluid every 2 years: The Car on 99.9k miles, 5 years+ since registered... still running fine, mainly.....

Anyone's views?? I'm thinking I'll tell Mr T to change it at service next week..

Regards & thanks in advance...

changing the fluid realy isnt a hard job and shouldnt add much more to the bill. it is well worth doing as the fluid can break down and effect the brakeing perfomance as u said.

coop

Cost usually adds approx £ 50 to the bill

50 quid to change the fluid??? whats it made of gold/????? i guess im out of touch with garage prices as i never use em unless i absoloutly have to.

coop

Buy some fluid and take it in to them if you are not willing to do it yourself and they should only charge you half an hours labour really, however with it being so easy to do just go for it yourself, just remember to bleed furthest away from the resevoir first and work that way around the car

Regards phil

Avensis brake pedals can feel a bit spongy. If the brake fluid hasn't been changed I would suggest a friendly chat with your dealer to find out why not or why it doesn't show up on your invoices. That little conversation should open the door to a friendly request for a free brake fluid change if they have neglected it in the past. Dealers don't like words like 'neglected', it makes them think about negligence and solicitors etc.....

A brake fluid change is required every couple of years and a dealer should advise you if one is due at a appropriate annual servce.they should not do it without your permission unless its included in a prepaid servicing agreement.

£50.0 seems a bit pricey to me. Most workshops can test brake fluid for contamination if asked to.

It is very easy to get a bill to £50, half an hours labour, £6 for fluid and VAT IS £50 at least, more if you are in the home counties. The VAT is often the killer, £50 pre VAT is only £41.66 :mellow:

Kingo

EDIT: The Toyota fixed price service cost for replacing brake fluid is £39 across the range

If the brakes fade/fail due to boiling brake fluid it can be very serious, the fluid being hygroscopic it absorbs water from the atmosphere, this water can boil causing gasses which can be compressed giving a very spongy pedal.

Dot 4 glycol basedbrake fluid can't be compressed under normal operating temperatures up to around 450 degrees f and for Dot 5 silicon based fluid it's around 500 degrees f.

So ... paying £39.00 for a "liquid gold" fluid change can be a very wise investment! ;)

Pete.

Ta: Hygroscopic I fink....

Ta: Hygroscopic I fink....

Correct .... Oops! LOL.

Pete.

i think every mfr suggests change fluid every two years to cover theirselves

DONT PUT DOT5 FLUID IN YOUR BRAKES it will wreck all the seals DOT 5 isnt that common and is for braking systems with seals that wont inflate with this fluid.

however dot 5.1 fluid is acceptable

i used to use this in my track subaru as it has a higher boiling point than dot 4

dot 5.1 is slightly more hygroscopic and recommended change every year but no one does it as the system is sealed most of the time not allowing moisture in from the atmosphere.

a garage can do the old strip dip (like a piece of litmus paper) test to check the level of corrosion inhibitors present

and use a refractometer to check amount of moisture in the system

best visual test is to see if the fluid is turning dark due to age and what ive always thought as the wear from the seals mixing with the fluid

so you can look at all the science or the 39 quid deal sounds good ( plus vat maybey ?)

abs systems can feel a bit vague on the pedal but my avensis brakes are braw.

my renault trafic feels front bias nose diving but if im at a junction and i press the brakes hard then it sharpens up the whole system for about 10 mins. possibly my lsv is needing adjustment with me carrying tools to a gross weight of 2650kg.

also check your flexi hoses for any bulging etc as these can cause spongy brakes

also different grades of brake pad.

also poor adjustment on drum rear brakes but this probably wont apply

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links