Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Issues

Danj2010

Hi guys been a casual viewer here for a while but needed any help until now...

I had my 2007 manual Aygo given a full service and MOT about 3 weeks ago cost £750 to get it through but all was fine until a few days ago.

I had been driving about 10 mins with no problems went to pull out at a roundabout in first gear and nothing happened, put it in first gear again put my foot down a crawled out very slowly (the kind of speed when trying to move from a standstill in 3rd gear) though maybe it was me so carried on home with no problems.

Was all fine driving to work the next day (about a 30min drive) but then the gear issue reared its head again twice on the way home so I started playing about with the gear stick and noticed then when driving in any gear I can move the gear stick about as if its in neutral. Also noticed the more I drive it the heavier the clutch becomes.

So I took it down to Toyota this morning and was told they haven't got any space free to look at it for 2 weeks so I've booked it in but does anybody have any ideas what could be wrong?

I'm guessing a new clutch at least so any ideas on rough costs from Toyota? Having just spent £750 on it I'm reluctant to spend much more.

And should any clutch or gear issues been noticed during its full service only 3 weeks ago?

FYI: 2007 3 dr Aygo black petrol manual with 44k on the clock.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Dan

Sorry to go off topic but £750!!!! I thought Aygo's were meant to be cheap to own and run. What did it need to get through MOT?

Hi Dan,

Firstly, why book it into a dealer? No matter what the issue is they'll charge you top dollar to put it right whereas a decent non-franchised garage should be able to diagnose the problem and recitfy for a good deal less. Secondly, the dealer expects you to wait a fortnight for the privilige of over being overcharged!

If you continue to drive the vehicle over the next couple of weeks you have no idead what kind of (additional) damage you could be doing which could have a significant bearing on the final bill.

"And should any clutch or gear issues been noticed during its full service only 3 weeks ago?"

Not necessarily. You mentioned yourself that the problem only became apparant a few days ago althought the service was carried out about 3 weeks ago. The problem may not have existed at the time or if it did it may not have developed to point were it would become noticeable. It's just one of those things.

The issue could be related to the clutch or its cable or it could be an issue with the shift cable adjustment. It could even be a partially siezed release bearing. I'd recommend you get it booked in to a non-franchised garage asap and avoid or at least limit driving it until it sorted out.

DSH

I had the clutch replaced on our car a few weeks ago. I took it to an independent garage rather than Toyota, and the total cost was £400, this was for the slightly larger recommended replacement and did not include the cable.

£400 doesn't sound too bad for a clutch; My local dealer quoted me £700 for my Yaris, although I had it done for £400 by a travelling mechanic that was recommended to me.

I'd like to know what the OP needed doing to his Aygo for the MOT too; £750 is a lot unless there were some major failures!

I suspect tyres and possibly an exhaust at dealer prices. Apart from the high cost, for me its the dismissive attitude of not being able to look at it for two weeks. I would take my business elsewhere.