Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daylight Running Lights

diverdave

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a quick question, I have just bought a new Prius Gen 3 with daylight running lights. When I looked at them today I noticed that although there appears to be six bulbs in each of the clusters, only the top four illuminate, has anyone noticed if this is the same with their cars or are the two bottom bulbs in each of my clusters not working.

Thanks in anticipation,

Kind regards,

Dave.

I noticed the same thing in the Auris HSD, same on both sides. I assumed that is normal.

Thanks for that T Sport, I was hoping someone would come back with that answer, though it does seem odd to have two dummy lens's at the bottom.

Thanks again,

Dave.

I have the same problem with my 2013 Prius Plug-in. Spoken to sales manager at my dealer who was not aware (he drives a plug-in) of the problem but said that he will get back to me.

The pre facelift gen3 has dummy LEDs.

I guess Mr T has a thing about lots of LEDs but only puts one or two real ones in.

Perhaps the dummy LEDs are replaced with real LEDs in some countries but not others?

If they are dummy LEDS - whats the chance of being able to replace them and have DRL's ?

Depends how good your DIY skills are. They aren't actually dummies that can be taken out, they are just bumps which look like LEDs. You can probably drill them out to take real LEDs and wire them up.

There are folks over on the prius chat forum who have done crazy things to their prii with LEDs and suchlike. But I guess they don't have to worry about upsetting their car insurance company.

• Like 1

Yep, just noticed that the gear stick can be replaced with buttons too. Plenty of Prius enthusiasts in the US it seems.

Depends how good your DIY skills are. They aren't actually dummies that can be taken out, they are just bumps which look like LEDs. You can probably drill them out to take real LEDs and wire them up.

Maybe some fibre optic cable to the back of them from the sidelight or another single led ?

• 3 years later...

I drive a 2014 gen 3 model two with just over 35,000mi. I noticed the lower two LEDs mysteriously extinguish around 34,000mi. Parked in front of glass storefront I first noticed the bulbs on the right hand side were out, which were followed some time later by the left side. It's no big deal because they are symmetrical and still bright enough to help alert other drivers. I would just like to know why they turned off.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2016 at 0:55 PM, Robert C said:

I drive a 2014 gen 3 model two with just over 35,000mi. I noticed the lower two LEDs mysteriously extinguish around 34,000mi. Parked in front of glass storefront I first noticed the bulbs on the right hand side were out, which were followed some time later by the left side. It's no big deal because they are symmetrical and still bright enough to help alert other drivers. I would just like to know why they turned off.

Hmm - by "some time later" do you mean seconds, or weeks? If weeks, it sounds like the individual LEDs failed. You might want to consider new DRL units (or replacing the failed LEDs). LEDs do fail over time.