Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3Zz-Fe Engine Upgrades

dumschmuck

Hello...

I'm from Manila and was wondering if you guys could help me out with upgrading my 3ZZ engine and giving it a little more oomph. Sad to say, we don't get a lot of aftermarket parts at these parts of the woods.

Here are a few pics of the car...

Altis_zps3da06832.jpg

_MG_4802_zps593944c9.jpg

_MG_5132_zps4f43e38c.jpg

_MG_5048_zps0a9b88c1.jpg

Very nice looking corolla you got there! I think the red rims suit her just fine!

To increase the bhp on a 3zz you got some options.

You start easy by changing the air filter in the airbox with a K&N one, or even install a cone filter.

You change the backbox with a more sportif one.

I think your accelerator is electronical (not cable) so you could also install a sprint booster.

Ofcourse don't expect too much increase in bhp from the above.

To get real increase you either have to oversize the engine with 1zz parts (like I did), or swap your engine with a 1zz one (or even 2zz one or 3sgte one - sky is the limit), or install a turbo in the engine.

It all depends on how far you want to go and how much money you are prepared to pay.

thank you for indulging me on this.

I don't plan on severing away from the 3ZZ platform. I'm leaning more towards bolt-on parts that I could easily utilize to make a little more power.

I've seen that sprint booster. Is it the same as the Blitz Throttle Controller or the Pivot 3-Speed. Is the throttle really significant? The thing I've noticed after installing the SRI with a KNN filter is that, it seems to have a flat spot on 1.5 - 2.5 rpm, then it shows up again at around 4.8 to 5k (its really more like hesitation), but aside from that.. everything is ok.

After that first outing in the track, I've grown to realize that I'd be needing grippier tires hence I'm leaning towards a set of Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002's. Also I was planning to get some aftermarket pads and some steel braid brake lines. I'm just not quite to sure what the part numbers are for the lines and what brand pads would work for street and occassional circuit racing. I've used SSS pads on my old rig with 0 - 650 deg ratings. Do I need a similar operating temperature for a stock car?

The thing is with this Corolla (which is called the Corolla Altis here in the Philippines), I don't have an idea what the chassis code is. And its not helping that around the world, the Corolla has so many iterations that I lost count already. Are there parts that I could use with other model platforms? like the matrix, XRS or the Sportivo?

Sorry for all the questions.. the local board for the Corolla is not so much leaning towards perfromance as they are more into aesthetics. So I have to relegate my queries to you guys.

Once again, thank you in advance!

I believe your model is E15. Mine is E12.

funny thing..

on the body markings.... its ZZE141 (just found in on the driver door sticker) but when I went to HK to buy parts.... the have NZE141 instead.

does anyone here have experience wiring in an E-manage Ultimate to their rides? Just got the universal harness and was wondering where i could get the diagram.....

Hi dude.

I have a 3zzfe but an older style with a manual throttle body unlike your electronic one.

Me and a few other members have made some pretty nice mods to our 3zz engine. Just the type of thing you describe...bolt on.

What we have done is a pretty much cut down version of madvinegar. Instead of stroking the full engine up to a 1.8 we bolted on a 1.8 inlet manifold 1.8 throttle body and 1.8 injectors. We all have found a good difference between this and stock.

In your case you would need to source a 1.8 electronic throttle body. This is all from a 1zzfe engine. We found that using parts from a Avensis 1zz was perfect but im not sure what differences there are with newer 3zz engines.

As i say they are all straight forward bolt on parts. I am yet to dyno the car but believe me it does make a difference.

Another point to note. If you are running a Bosch ecu you may have issues with using 1zz injectors...although a member did sort this out by adjusting the throttle and is running the 1zz parts i have mentioned but with a 4zz engine. I know madvinegar had some friends that had issues with the 1zz injectors in the 4zz. However me and the other guys running 3zz engines have denso ecu. So drive around with some high octane fuel for while and all is well....it rev hunts when you first do this mod as the ecu is learning. Just be patient lol

Just to point out that we had issues with 1zz injectors only in oversized engines (from 4zz to 1zz).

I have not tried the 1zz injectors in a 4zz or 3zz engine, so phatali is the expert in this section. :D

• 7 months later...

Hello again...

I'm on the market now for some aftermarket headers.... anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction.

Would a header designed for a 1zz bolt on to a 3zz?

Would it theoretically make the same power as claimed?

Hello again...

I'm on the market now for some aftermarket headers.... anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction.

Would a header designed for a 1zz bolt on to a 3zz?

Would it theoretically make the same power as claimed?

Yup go for the 1zz intake system. And yes I have dyno proof that mine went from 109bhp to 130bhp. :D

by intake system you mean, the intake manifold and the throttle body only. not quite sure if there are other parts involved here.

from my research... there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket intake manifolds available for the 1zz/3zz.

by intake system you mean, the intake manifold and the throttle body only. not quite sure if there are other parts involved here.

from my research... there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket intake manifolds available for the 1zz/3zz.

I mean the Inlet manifold, Throttle body AND injectors from a 1zz..

I have seen there is a metal inlet manifold too not just the plastic ones...apart from that no aftermarket.

head over to rollaclubuk there is a nice FAQ topic just for this mod. It has all areas covered

:) and contains my dyno printout :D

Anyone here in the forum running a Rotrex?

I've been emailing some guys in Malaysia that could supply me the hardware.... just seems we're stuck on where to get the blower bracket.

Tnx!

• 6 months later...

sorry for bringing this up again...

what is the optimum A/F ratio for a 3ZZ?

how far can I lean it out before it gets catastrophic?

I just got myself an emanage ultimate and plan on doing some tuning.

If someone could provide me with some figures... I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if a 1zz ecu can go into a 3zz and would it make any difference?  Would be looking just to fit a cone filter and ss back box for the track.

Also i noticed there is a cat on these, surely removing that and putting a sporty backbox on them should improve bhp a fair bit.  This engine should really be putting out 130bhp seems like Toyota did detune them.  Even in standard form they perform really well nice n revvy.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2013 at 0:43 PM, phatali said:

Yup go for the 1zz intake system. And yes I have dyno proof that mine went from 109bhp to 130bhp. :D

I have bought a complete 1zz engine as an upgrade from 3zz. Will that work without any complications 

• 2 years later...

hey good night, i know the last input is about 2 years but i have some questions . the 3zzfe corolla has 2 O2 sensors . where can i get them original . also are there any ECU mods ?