Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Typhoon Induction Kit Causing Engine Lights To Illuminate (Corolla T-S

J.T.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced the same problem as me.

I recently fitted a K&N Typhoon Induction kit to my 54 plate facelift Corolla T-Sport, this caused the engine management light to illuminate and subsequently the VSC (Vehicle stability control) and the traction control turned themselves off. I followed the instructions to the book and was just wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to solve this issue, because Toyota themselves offered no solution and only told me what code it was malfunctioning under (P0410, secondary air injection system malfunction) and told me I should probably just fit the stock air-box back on, which I don't really want to do..

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

I think I may be able to help you here - if it's the same problem as my Nissan had !

I also fitted a K&N induction kit & noticed that the engine felt a bit breathless at higher revs soon after. Luckliy I also had an Air-to-fuel ratio gauge fitted & this was showing the engine running very lean at the same revs. As I didn't want to seize the engine, I took the kit off & went back to a panel filter by K&N with a cold air feed (not attached). This sorted the problem straight away, so it seems some of their induction kits really haven't been tested properly :disgust:

^^^ poor advice!

There are loads of us running the typhoon with no problems.

did you extend the MAF wires and clean the MAF sensor?

I did extend the MAF wires from inside the loom and re-taped them with no issues what so ever. But I didn't clean the MAF sensor, the guys at Toyota said it was the vacuum hose that was causing the issues, as it was no longer connected. Everyone else seems to be having no issues when they have followed the instructions and disconnected everything as stated by K&N, which is why I'm so confused.

^^^ poor advice!

There are loads of us running the typhoon with no problems.

did you extend the MAF wires and clean the MAF sensor?

I'm only going by my experience - the fact is I installed it correctly & it immediately caused the engine to run very lean. It also lost about 4.5 bhp, confirmed on a rolling road dyno. The MAF was cleaned properly. So please do not jump to conclusions - it didn't work properly on my car.

There are two very important things that you must do after intalling the K&N kit.

1. Use the special oil-sprey provided by K&N and spray the cone filter very very good.

2. Drive the car around for many miles till your ECU adopts to the new data. Instead of that you could also reset the ECU by pulling out the negative pole for about 10 minutes, but this will also cause you to lose your radio stations and the automatic up/down rolling of your windows. To get the automatic window rolling back, start the engine and for each of the windows press the button to roll down the window completely but keep pressing the button for about 5-6 seconds after the window has opened completely.

I'm having to re-fit the factory air-box back on as I found no solution to the issue. The lights were cleared 3 times but just kept coming back. In the constant rainy dull weather we have in England it's unwise to not have traction control and stability control at my disposal. It's £250+ down the drain and to say I'm extremely vexed is an understatement, but that's just cars sometimes I guess.

I'm having to re-fit the factory air-box back on as I found no solution to the issue. The lights were cleared 3 times but just kept coming back. In the constant rainy dull weather we have in England it's unwise to not have traction control and stability control at my disposal. It's £250+ down the drain and to say I'm extremely vexed is an understatement, but that's just cars sometimes I guess.

seems strange how its worked with so many other t-sports, including mine.

i dont meant to sound patronising, but are you sure the vacuum hoses were connected/blocked off correctly?

It is odd that it worked for others, but not you. However as I said before, mine didn't work either so I sold it on flea-bay. Least you get some money back that way .....

I had a friend who has worked on highly modified cars that are much more complicated than my Corolla help me install the kit, he has been in the business for about 10 years. But even with that being the case, we have been through the instructions and have checked everything is correctly installed 3 times now. It just seems that my car really doesn't want the typhoon on it.. I suppose I'll just have to deal with it for now as I'll probably sell it later on this year for something quicker.

Hi everyone, i have bought a corolla tsport facelift, on an 04 plate fitted with a k&n typhoon induction kit. A week ago. I was getting the same problem. Could be driving on the motor way / carriage way in between 3-6k rpm the car would die.

I Mean lose power like someone took the terminal off the Battery.

How ever took a look at it yesterday morning. And was having a fiddle with the wires, that you extend to your maflow. Looked inside the car, I had the traction control on , vsc , engine light on. So plugged my snap on diagnostics machine in. Came up with maf flow sensor.

So disconnected all the wires on the maf flow, as they were very loose. Wire brushed them as they were looking fairly shabby.

Connected all the correct wires back together then soldered them together just a tack. to keep them joined as they were fairly loose.

And cleaned the maf with some carb cleaner. Now runs like a dream!!!

Took it up to bristol and back to cornwall with no hick ups at all.

PS. J.T give it a go.

I am no expert but worked for me, Wires were abit shabby on mine and loose.

Hope this helps

I guess you'll find out if its the MAF and wires when you re fit the original air box

• 3 months later...

The only way ur EML will come on with the typhoon kit isif the vacuum pipes are not connected up properly.. and where you take pipes off the intake you must block off.. If you get any unmetered air at all you will run lean and that's a fact.. Mine has ran perfect this past 16 months on a Stock ecu and that's with a full N/A build.. Do check your vaccuum pipes over again and you solenoids behind the filter.. You may have to relocate some pipes

If this is the correct procedure for fitting the kit, why on earth don't K&N instructions tell you to do whatever with the vacuum hoses ? Seems a bit of an oversight when it makes the engine run worse ?

lol, I remember our corolla t sport cut out at over 6,000rpm with the eml on! Scary stuff, it restarted again after a couple of tries in limp mode, but I was sure I had killed it. Got codes read turned out one of the wires came off the filter, the wires can be a bit of a stretch with the typhoon, they were fitted back on and the car was as good as new!

It happens to 99% of the corollas unless you extend the wires on the airflow meter plug.. Lesson well learned :-)

Same as what i stated in the 1st message. Any other issues you may occur, just give us a shout be happy to help.

kind regards

• 1 year later...

Hi,

With the Typhoon induction kit, does anybody know of any garage or person who could fit this kit professionally, so no lights come on the dash or the cutting out etc which others have posted on?

Also, is this the correct kit for an 2003 5dr Corolla T Sport hatchback?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-TYPHOON-INDUCTION-KIT-TOYOTA-COROLLA-T-SPORT-01-07-69-8751-/140499632502

I have noticed k&n have a silver or a red piped typhoon induction kit on their website. Is there any difference between the two?

If anyone knows of one for sale any cheaper than the above, please let me know.

Thanks,

tarantula_123

Hi mate,

It really is very simple to do yourself, no need to pay a garage.

And I might know of one, I'll see....

• 4 years later...
On 3/19/2013 at 9:20 AM, rallyfan1986 said:

seems strange how its worked with so many other t-sports, including mine.

i dont meant to sound patronising, but are you sure the vacuum hoses were connected/blocked off correctly?

Hi I'm having this sake problem rite now can someone tell me wat vacuum hoses need blocked off etc had to go back to standard air box I've done everything instructions said and a new maf 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links