Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Inconsistent Engine Noises

robney

Im wondering if anyone can help. Since purchasing my celica back in October it seems to have developed an array of engine noises. The car has been to Toyota and hooked up to a fault reader but they couldn't find anything wrong. I've searched through forums and videos but can't seem to find the answer. It may be normal and I could be blowing the whole thing out of proportion but generally the car seems quite noisy both inside and out. The noises also seem to occur no matter what the weather or engine temperature is like.

I've uploaded a selection of the noises and am hoping someone may have experienced a similar issue or have a suggestion of what it might/might not be.

th_BeltNoise-7MileTrip.jpg

th_FebruaryKnock-WarmEngine.jpg

th_MorningWarmEngine-BonnetClosed.jpg

Oh to top it off, I started my car yesterday and the the revs started to fluctuate at idle. First time its ever done it. 1500rpm down to 400rpm up to 1800rpm. Did this several times over a minute or two and then settled?

Any help would be much appreicated

The car itself has done approx 72000 miles. Last service was a full service at the end of October 2012. Just had its mot end of February 2013 and all was ok, no advisories etc. I bought it from an official Toyota dealer on the approve used scheme so was assured all was mechanically sound with the car and it had all been checked over. It's just slightly worrying when it seems to be making all these noises.

The first & third video sounds like a noisy auxilliary air pump the second video with its loud ticking noise sounds like either a very noisey fuel injector, a noisey hydraulic tappet or which is quite common on 190 Celicas a noisy aux belt tensioner ( the tensioner has an oil filled damper which has a small ball bearing inside which can start to make a rattling noise, Toyota has a field fix tensioner available to cure this )

Devon

Thanks very much Devon. I did suspect the aux belt could be a possible fault. I think it's going to be a case of getting it booked back in at Toyota, explaining these possible causes and showing them the videos. Would you say any of these issues could affect the idle like mentioned in my first post?

The aux air pump fault could certainly effect idle control.

Devon

Cheers. I'll update this post once the car has been back to Toyota.

Just a quick up date. My car went in to toyota service under warranty yesterday and having just phoned them to see how things were, they couldn't find a single thing wrong with my car and said it was running perfectly. Apparently they have been over it several times and all was well. This is despite me showing two different service engineers at two different branches some of the videos and both going 'well that doesn't sound right one bit'. On top of that I mentioned my idle issues but it doesn't seem like they'll do anything unless they see the fault first hand, which could prove to be quite difficult; one beacuse it doesn't do it all the time and secondly because of my working hours. Looks like im going to be stuck with these problems unless I can fix it myself, which I am not happy about.