Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil & Other Issues !

rambler

Hi all

Today......i gave my Rav4 to the recommended garage on the industrial estate where i work,i told them about the ' metallic vibrating sound ' i get from the off side ( drivers side ) first thing at every cold start,and said it only lasts for about a minute....then it goes.

Sounds like a heat shield vibrating tbh.

I also informed them about my Hot starting issues as well.

Well.....i got a phone call today ,they said ' no oil in it mate this is why its rattling from cold" " its the engine you can hear rattling"......i was dumfounded !.

I check my oil every week religiously,make sure its between the two little dots on the dipstick,and it has been for months,last checked it on monday morning,still the same...where it should be....between the two dots.....its never used any oil in years.

Had my local garage do my last service (110'000) and magnatec oil went in...happy i was.

Anyway......he said,' we've put 3 liters in it for you'.

Before he worked on it today,i could get a good clear reading where the oil came to on the dipstick,it just stopped halfway between the two dots.Easy to see , no problem

Now the blokes added some more oil , 1......the oil is smeary up to the ' twist ' on the dipstick ( no clear reading), and 2.....i think its over filled ! ! ! !......i'm concerned

Will have to check it in the morning...when oil is fully into sump from sitting overnight

Sorry this is bit long winded...but tricky to explain.

Hi all

Today......i gave my Rav4 to the recommended garage on the industrial estate where i work,i told them about the ' metallic vibrating sound ' i get from the off side ( drivers side ) first thing at every cold start,and said it only lasts for about a minute....then it goes.

Sounds like a heat shield vibrating tbh.

I also informed them about my Hot starting issues as well.

Well.....i got a phone call today ,they said ' no oil in it mate this is why its rattling from cold" " its the engine you can hear rattling"......i was dumfounded !.

I check my oil every week religiously,make sure its between the two little dots on the dipstick,and it has been for months,last checked it on monday morning,still the same...where it should be....between the two dots.....its never used any oil in years.

Had my local garage do my last service (110'000) and magnatec oil went in...happy i was.

Anyway......he said,' we've put 3 liters in it for you'.

Before he worked on it today,i could get a good clear reading where the oil came to on the dipstick,it just stopped halfway between the two dots.Easy to see , no problem

Now the blokes added some more oil , 1......the oil is smeary up to the ' twist ' on the dipstick ( no clear reading), and 2.....i think its over filled ! ! ! !......i'm concerned

Will have to check it in the morning...when oil is fully into sump from sitting overnight

Sorry this is bit long winded...but tricky to explain.

Time to find yourself a "decent" garage!

Agree Rambler mine doesn't use much oil either and I check it most weeks to ensure it is topped up. Yours is also in the over 100k club so should be run in nicely....

So putting in 3 litres is somewhat strange..

Theyre taking the p**s mate..
And they wouldnt be expecting that you check your oil level on a weekly basis.
Running it with too much oil is as bad with too little.
Tell them to drop the oil to the correct level,and that you of course expect a full refund or you'll report them to trading standards.

Theyre taking the p**s mate..

And they wouldnt be expecting that you check your oil level on a weekly basis.

Running it with too much oil is as bad with too little.

Tell them to drop the oil to the correct level,and that you of course expect a full refund or you'll report them to trading standards.

Agree completely with this. It sounds like they got the apprentice to do your car - the apprentice from the hairdressers next door, that is!

Re your metallic vibrating noise, we had exactly the same thing on oure 5-dr. It was the heat shield on the silencer box on which one of the mounting holes had rusted away a bit so that it vibrated aginst the box on start-up. Mr.T whipped it off at the last service and peace was restored.

Agree with all of the above.

If it should prove to be a rusted out mounting hole in the heat shield, a couple of penny washers or a bit of tinplate pop riveted in may well prove a suitable repair, rather than total removal of the shield. The shield is there for a reason...........

Agree with all of the above.

If it should prove to be a rusted out mounting hole in the heat shield, a couple of penny washers or a bit of tinplate pop riveted in may well prove a suitable repair, rather than total removal of the shield. The shield is there for a reason...........

True, Dave, but it looks like a case of belt & braces. Probably very useful in hotter climes where ambient temps can exacerbate local heat sinks but I wouldn't think it was a problem in UK.

Mr.T agreed when he removed it so I'm comfortable with it.

Well....after checking oil this morning ( cold start ),the oil used to show just above halfway between the two dots on the dipstick.

This morning it now shows.....15mm above the top dot ,after this new garage put more in !

I thought i may get oil coming out here and there.....and i thought it may blow a oil seal somewhere ? ? ? ?

But...did a high speed drive to work today and home this evening ( 70..ish ) for about 30 mins on main rd.......no problems.

But.....no rattles this morning,neither on last 2 mornings ( cold starts ).....but....its been milder here in last few days :dontgetit: do you reckon that may have anything to do with it ? ?...... :g:

Does the Rav have to have its oil on max all the time ?....i thought as long as its between the two dots its fine ?

Anywhere between the dots is perfect..
But dont overfill. Less is more ;~)

The above is true but don't worry about 15mm Jamie. It isn't right but that much over won't cause any damage.

The above is true but don't worry about 15mm Jamie. It isn't right but that much over won't cause any damage.

Ah.........thank goodness ....thank you Don :thumbsup: ,it was seriously worrying me .

But.......wont be useing that garage again,will stick to my local garage whom ive used for years,or Mr T .