Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Oil......

rambler

Mobil 1 or Magnatec ?

My mum took her 07 petrol 1.3 yaris in for 40'000 service today at local Mr T .

She said she wanted magnatec oil putting in ( I recommended it ),thinking its the best,but.....apparently they are now ' contracted ' to use Mobil 1 ?

She insisted in having Magnatec.....they said ,we dont have any , " Lancaster Toyota " ( in our area ) no longer use magnatec in any of their dealerships....in Colchester or Ipswich.

I was going to use them for my Rav's next 120k service ,but i want magnatec in my engine.......

So.......what do you have, Mobil 1........or Magnatec ?

Mobil 1 would suit me fine,Jamie.....they are all good brands nowadays.......except the bad ones......lol.

I don't think it unreasonable at all that the Dealer has a preferred brand and will not buy in another one for a customer

Howver, there is nothing to stop you providing your own oil when you take the car in for a service if you want a specific brand.

• Like 1

I just prefer Magnatec for its magnetic properties.....staying clinging to engine parts ,like its designed for.

So the oil is ' always there from the moment you turn the key'......or is it ?

I wonder....does Mobil 1 do this ?.........anyone know ?

Supply your own oil of choice, you'll save a mint!

Dave

• Like 1

Mobil 1 is a good oil. Some other car forum members (Mercedes) will only use Mobil 1 and even say that Castrol magnatec has an adverse effect on their engines. Over the years ( and I have a few under my belt!) I've used both and have never had any problems. As suggested already if you are concerned take your own oil in for them to change, it will cost you much less anyway.

There is a whole heap of "Oil snobbery" out there and it's rife on here :yes:

All you need is the correct spec and grade, after that it's a personal choice. All the top brands are good quality, to say Mobil 1 is the best out there and used by this that or the other marque only stirs it up for those who use Magnatec or whatever other brand

You have all fallen for the marketing hype. ANY good proprietary brand of the correct grade and spec is good enough, you might even save yourself a heap of money too!

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you are talking about who I think you are talking about he is well and truly banned.

All you need is the correct spec and grade, after that it's a personal choice. All the top brands are good quality, to say Mobil 1 is the best out there and used by this that or the other marque only stirs it up for those who use Magnatec or whatever other brand

You have all fallen for the marketing hype. ANY good proprietary brand of the correct grade and spec is good enough, you might even save yourself a heap of money too!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Second Kingo here brand is far less important than grade and specification, Toyota specify:

5W30 - meeting ACEA B1, API CF-4 or CF (API CE or CD may also be used) standards for 2.2 2AD-FTV without DPF

&

0W30 or 5W30 - meeting ACEA C2 standards for 2.2 2AD-FHV ( 180 engine ) or 2AD-FTV with DPF

The latter C2 spec oil has a lower ash content which cuts down on soot levels in the engine which help to protect the DPF, I can honestly say that since our dealership switched to a C2 spec 5w30 oil for our Diesel engines we have seen a marked reduction in carbon clogging issues.

Devon

• Like 1

Devon

You mean for engines prior to being specified for C2 spec or only those since?

I was recommended (on here) Morris' oil. I have serviced both my cars once, supplied it to the Toyota dealer to use when they did the main service (saving £70) and just serviced my other car again (so two services on each car so far) and it performs great.

Bought in bulk (4 x 5L cost me £65) it costs less than £30 to do an intermediate service on the Rav including the genuine filter! On my second lot of 20 litres now!

This is with Morris' multilife C3;

Multilife C-THREE 5W/30 provides:

1.Increased engine efficiency, output and fuel economy.

2. Excellent cold starting characteristics, reducing noise and wear.

3. Turbo-charger protection.

4. Improved flow rates to bearings at low temperatures and increased film strength at high temperatures.

5. Better high temperature operation and anti-sludge control.

6. Low levels of volatility.

7. Better thermal stability, improved engine cleanliness.

8. Mid-SAPS (Sulphur, Ash, Phosphorus) product, for improved DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) performance.

Dave

Well said, Kingo.

It really is all about the spec, not the hype, or the sexy packaging. But then the technical spec doesn't make for eye-catching Go Faster stick-ons, does it?

Hey, ho...

Chris

Aye, for the first time in as long as I can remember Dave, I've had to make a departure from Morris's because these very new 150D-CATs take 0W/30 C2 oil and the only manufacturer I can find is Mobil. Good oil no doubt but hellish expensive at about £10 per litre.

http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/bmw-approved-esp-0w-30.aspx?_c=qnbph5og1pzrienyrbomr3j1ky&_s=errwonu76thuxsffgpce4ky17a

Aye, for the first time in as long as I can remember Dave, I've had to make a departure from Morris's because these very new 150D-CATs take 0W/30 C2 oil and the only manufacturer I can find is Mobil. Good oil no doubt but hellish expensive at about £10 per litre.

http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/bmw-approved-esp-0w-30.aspx?_c=qnbph5og1pzrienyrbomr3j1ky&_s=errwonu76thuxsffgpce4ky17a

Just had a search round. £10/L is as cheap as it gets for regular amounts.

Cheapest I saw was Exol Optima 25L for £115 which is prob worth investing in!

Dave

Aye, for the first time in as long as I can remember Dave, I've had to make a departure from Morris's because these very new 150D-CATs take 0W/30 C2 oil and the only manufacturer I can find is Mobil.

I thought as well as 0W/30 the DCAT 150 could also use 5W/30. Well according to the one service data sheet it can. So can't you use Morris' Multilife C-TWO?

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=252&product=Multilife+C-TWO+Fully+Synthetic+Motor+Oil

Or do you really want the ever so slightly lower viscosity when it's cold?

Could do but the factory fill on "Optimal Drive" engines is 0W/30. Like you said for D-Cats, the fuel consumption probably cancels out the benefit in emmissions;

http://helenconnolley.munkyserver.com/images/work/flash/MotorOil.swf

The extra cost in this oil probably cancels out potential fuel savings.

Devon

Anchorman we checked with Toyota and the C2 5w30 we use either meets or exceeds all the requirements in place on D4D engines, so we now use this in all of our D4D diesel engines past and present

Ach.....yer aw talkin' pish.....bring back Castrol GTX.....run it for 3 months, or 300 yards (whichever comes first....), then put remnants in jars labelled Hellmanns......sorted.....

Devon

Anchorman we checked with Toyota and the C2 5w30 we use either meets or exceeds all the requirements in place on D4D engines, so we now use this in all of our D4D diesel engines past and present

OK, I guess what I'm saying is, have you seen a difference in 150 engines or the previous series that had oil consumption issues. My experience of 150s is that they don't use oil and rarely even turn the oil black.

TBH we dont have issues with the later AD engines at all only the early AD with the old EGR setup, but if the soot levels are decreased in these its fair to say it will be the on the later cars