Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Problems.

loki_irl

Hi,

This may have been answered in another post, I read the post on cleaning the EGR value, done that.

Problem:

I have a Toyota strata D4D 2005, and I had a issue with the car a awhile back, brough it a garage. The turbo was replace and the EGR value cleaned etc, about 2500 euro spent on it (crazy money).

anyway I'm still having issue with the turbo cutting out when i go hard on the accelerator, it tends to cut out about 2200 revs with a ***** of the car, and then goes into limp mode.

The way to fix it was to turn off and on the engine, this works but it might cut out again straight away.

It's nerve racking overtaking cars as I don't know if its going to cut out or not :(

Question:

1. when I'm driving through the gears and take my foot off the accelerator I can hear a high pitch whine as the turbo slows down, should I be hearing this ?

2. I'm getting P1251 - overboost condition (too high) and I asked at a local toyota garage what this actually means and he said there is something wrong with the Turbo and i should get it replaced. aIs this the best course of action ?

3. Could it be a stuck turbo actuator? how would i fix this ?

I have attacted an image of what i think is the turbo actuator, am i correct ?

Any helpe would be welcome.

post-129980-0-95679900-1362744641_thumb.

Hello,

why is that hose disconnected from the intake?

Here is an attachment of the intake system.

Pete.

INTAKE.pdf

• Like 1

Sorry this is not an actually picture of my car, Its just one I downloaded from somewhere.

I just wanted confirmation that this was the turbo actuator and if this would be caused the problems that i am having ?

yes thats the wastegate diaphragm for the turbo

follow the hose back and it leads to the bleed valve ( you can see it in the pic just below and to the right of where the words egr valve end)

this also controls the amount of pressure getting to the wastegate

therre are 2 port and 3 port systems but it looks like a 2 port bleed system both are similar.

all this plumbing has to be correct and free of gum from engine breathing

blocked plumbing or bleed valve will cause loss of pressure to wastegate caussing it to overboost

not too common but waste gate can stick or diaphragm can leak causing same overboost

sounds like the new turbo fitted hasnt been set up to correct boost

it is overboosting

putting excess strain/heat in the turbo causing the wear and noise

id need to look at mine to see what the correct setup is ( im a new avensis owner) as a lot of turbos you can unbolt the wastegate and replace it as long as you get the correct diaphragm opening pressure i.e 0.7bar or similar

i might be fitting a small column mounted boost guage as a personal choice as ive had them on all my turbo cars

i use the hose to mechanical guage ( not the sender and electrical guage) as they are simpler and more reliable / cheaper

this gives you the test results right in front of your eyes that your talking about ( vac and turbo pressure ) so you dont have to rely on map sensor readings and can rule that out as a duff sensor

umm slightly off topic..... but is that the erg valve???? i have an 08 and i thought it was at the front of the engine not the side

my engine setup is similar to this ( if not exact same)

picture shows correct position of components compared to mine but there have been a few changes in engine code since

just wish i had time to do my preventative maintenance mods ~( egr blanking test etc as i dont have traction control and an early model which may have the early software to not bring on mil due to ecu looking for map sensor difference when egr operating etc etc blah blah) and take some pics to post

just not got enough time at the moment as working 7 days/week and also trying to get my new house the way i want it.