Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Miles Can You Get Out Of An Avensis?

Gabaunion

319,000 miles on mine and still going strong

have you done all 319,000 your self?

what problems have you had and what was the fix?

About to roll around to 130k on the car pictured in my profile. I bought it last june at 100,000 miles - it's had nothing in the last 30,000 other than new leads plugs oil and filters.

In my experience of having owned newer avensis', each new model was less reliable and dependable than the one it replaced. Hence me going back to the MK1.

• Like 1

About to roll around to 130k on the car pictured in my profile. I bought it last june at 100,000 miles - it's had nothing in the last 30,000 other than new leads plugs oil and filters.

In my experience of having owned newer avensis', each new model was less reliable and dependable than the one it replaced. Hence me going back to the MK1.

I love the colour

Thank you very much. It's pretty rare (Tuscan Plum).

I've only ever seen it twice: once about 10 years ago (when I said to myself "I want an SR in Plum" and another last year on Autotrader).

It's a beautiful colour, and not one of the 50 shades of grey that you can chose from on newer cars.

• Like 2

Well i had a 55 plate 2.0 d4d avensis i got it on 90k and has just been written off at non fault and the mileage on 280k and was still going strong.

• 1 month later...

hope you guys dont mind if I bump this DOG7 what symptoms where you having before you changed injector?

Sticking solenode weake spray pattern diagnosed by my local toyota dealer ( COPCUTTS) of Worksop , they wanted £900 to change one injecter. It's was number one injecter plus new pipe work . So I got feather diesels to change it. As for the symptoms, on start up you could hear a fast ticking nose. After that the car started going into limp mode now and then.black smoke no power etc.,

• Like 1

Sticking solenode weake spray pattern diagnosed by my local toyota dealer ( COPCUTTS) of Worksop , they wanted £900 to change one injecter. It's was number one injecter plus new pipe work . So I got feather diesels to change it. As for the symptoms, on start up you could hear a fast ticking nose. After that the car started going into limp mode now and then.black smoke no power etc.,

Thank you Alexander, much appreciated, have you changed much since the last time you commented?

Still going strong . I had a new washer pump fitted at about 156,k and a new light for the. Cigarette socket. Pass it's test ok in May. Forgot one thing a new front wheel bearing at 87k. The cars done 166243k now and still drives very well. I keep thinking shall I swop it or keep it , my head says swop my heart says keep! .till something major happens I will keep driving it.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Still going strong . I had a new washer pump fitted at about 156,k and a new light for the. Cigarette socket. Pass it's test ok in May. Forgot one thing a new front wheel bearing at 87k. The cars done 166243k now and still drives very well. I keep thinking shall I swop it or keep it , my head says swop my heart says keep! .till something major happens I will keep driving it.

is that windscreen washer pump?

Drive it till it dies!

The facelift has the ad engine,It does seem not reliable as ours (headgasket) and the new t27 09+, no hatchback? and a electric handbrake don't think I will go for that just yet.

T22/ T25 was mainly sold as a hatchback and estates and odd occasion you will get a saloon. Don't understand why the T27 only comes in tourer and saloon.

• Like 1

Avensis 2.0 automatic 2003 model, replaced rear window wiper and pollen filter aswell as the air filter at 100027 km. Removed and cleaned the throttle body(not replaced, still original), this improved ideling and fuel consumtion. Only complaint is the soft squishy thing that drives it. Hatchback lifts are getting soft too, but they shall be renewed when it falls on my head.

My tailgate struts were not lifting the boot high enough, so I used to bang my head when I used to get something out the boot! :bangin:

if you buy new tailgate struts don't buy the aftermarket, I bought some ended up sending them back for a refund (quality is not there), I managed to get some genuine ones of a 2006 model with 60k. work perfectly now. See if you can get round to a breakers yard and test them whilst they are on the vehicle.

I saw a couple of ones that are used for tractor bonnets, looks like it will fit but not sure if they will be to strong causing the mounts to crack and tare when opening and closing. will check it out when the time presents itself.

My 05 D4D T3x has 161000 miles on the clock. Not too much work required until car hit 150k.

Pre-150k

Intake shutter valve sensor

Clutch and Flywheel

Split Air piping (£70 for a piece of rubber tubing!)

Front driver side wheel bearing

Normal servicing and timing belt

Post-150k

Another clutch and flywheel

Gearbox Input shaft

Power steering pump

Air con unit (bypassed with a shorter belt)

Things going well now and planning to clean EGR again soon

While you are doing your EGR, do the throttle body aswell, it makes a world of difference to fuel consumtion, just clean it out. Mabe there is a video on youtube somewhere that would be useful.

Have to confess, I just balls it all up going through a roadworks site this morning, knocked the right hand mirror off, glass broken, cover flew off landed in the road and got scratched. Being ****** off at myself I later planted the whole boot in a headge after bouncing the car over a right angle curb, not paying attention to the layout of the car park behind me. Luckely my nearest Toyota dealer had a replacement mirror glass in stock for 72€ and it slotted in fine, cover is scratched and one clip has gone missing but it went back on and is staying on just fine, as for the boot all I can say thank the stars it is a Toyota, the hegde is ok(ish) and the car came off almost without a scratch.

mine is over 160k now ,its only a 1.8petrol , ive had couple problems main one being a drive shaft snap which i discovered is a common fault when i tried to source a new one, apart from a lack of power and maybe bit of handling i love mine, interior still feels posh and is a nice place to be,

considering a new stereo and speaker install as as much as id like more power ect i know my car and not sure i want to go thru finding a new cars faults, people always sell cars for a reason its finding that rerason thats the problem ,

oh stuck a new clutch in when i did the drive shaft as well and just had a service only thing apart from a bulb was one exhaust mount broken, would like to fit a new exhuast though as i like a car to have one visible at the rear insead of hidden like on ours.

• Like 1

Hi, my mk1 1.8 7AFE Avensis now has 155,500 miles on the odometer. I will have owned it for 2 years next month. The car had 141,000 showing when I bought it. There was a full service history from new until the year I bought it. The car had the full service shortly after I bought it. From the history just looks to have had routine service parts.

Now a clutch is needed. Previous advisories from MOT test were for rack ends and rear shock absorbers so I am expecting those to need changing in a year or so.

In comparison to other mk1 Avensis I don't feel mine has covered a high mileage. Avensis were and still are very well represented on private hire taxi fleets and I think early cars are capable of 200,000 with routine servicing and 250,000 if looked after and treated kindly before serious work such as engine rebuilds.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Up date on my t3-x . Just had 170k service done at MR t , I had a new EGR valve fitted. Got from eBay genuine denso part. On the service inspection they told that my front to back brake pipes need replacing , they go over the fuel tank!. MR t quoted £455 for 2 brake pipes. I think this is a bit costly . So I'm looking for a cheaper garage to do this work. Other than that every things ok.

• Like 1

Hi have the older model 2002 avensis d4d with 340k on the clock and going well as its a taxi. Just the usual repairs clutch, altenator, suspension bushes but apart from that not much else. One of the other guys with us has the same model with just over 500k on it! So they will go on for as long as you will need...regular servicing is key! On a lot of taxis its the body work that starts to get rough but the engine keeps going!

• Like 2

I would love to use the older model but the local council will not allow them, how often do you service, do you use genuine parts or aftermarket and is that 340k on original engine?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My old lady (pictured in avatar) just rolled over to 136000 this week.

The MPG has rocketed over the last month. I think it's a combination of good weather, taking it a bit easier and my tyres (which are winters that I never bothered to take off) getting a bit smoother and therefore less rolling resistance.

I didn't think I'd EVER see 44.8mpg (brim to brim) out of such an old engine.

Wouldn't be without it. I've been running the car for 13 months now, have done 36,500 miles in that time and it's needed nothing. I treated it to some new paint earlier in the year (as it's such an unusual colour) and a new air con part to keep me cool and that's it.

Storming stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First 2001 avensis estate 2.0 d4d died last year when a piston ring went. Turned out to be low oil pressure. Had done 250,000 miles.

Got all the best bits of it and bought another one. This ones done 200,000.

• Like 1