Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Owner And New Member, And A Fuel Gauge Problem

Dough

Hi. I just acquired (today) a 2 door 2001 NV VVT1 (1.8) with 94K on the clock, having spent ten years driving a Mini Cooper. I love the car and won't be going back to the Cooper, but it needs some TLC which I am happy to provide although I am totally ignorant as far as the technical stuff goes; having said that, I have a mechanically minded brother who helps out as I like to have some idea of the issue before I speak to my friendly local garage and part with cash.

I've been reading the threads with great interest (especially the replacement key one as I only got one rather battered key/fob with the car) and need some advice... I have already identified a few minor issues which I will be asking said garage to look at (tracking, sticking clutch pedal) but I also have a fuel gauge which shows 2/3 when the tank is actually full. Any advice on what I need to do about that (other than live with it)?

Thanks.

Doug

Welcome to the club Doug

If you disconnect the fuel gauge at the tank unit and earth the wire, the gauge should go right to the top. If it does, the tank unit is shot. If it doesn't then the most likely cause is the gauge itself. I think you'll find an inspection hole under the back seat.

Do not mess with wires if there is any petrol weeping from the tank.

New tank sounds expensive? At least now I have an idea of what is involved. Thanks.

Who said anything about a new tank?

I think Anchs meant the sender unit which, in my experience of other cars, is usually a unit that can be replaced.

Yes - just a new sender unit, if needed.

Great, and thanks for the help - I can stop panicking!.