Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Automatic Changes

hj29

Hi everyone,

Just purchased a semi new 2011 iQ 2 multidrive. Think the cars brilliant. I did have a BMW mini, but was fed up with the huge repair bills and hard ride. The iQ feels more of a proper small car (if that makes sense), that wont break my spine should I go over a speed hump every now and again.

Just a question regarding the multidrive, in particular when the car is warm. When slowing down to around 10mph there is a slight pause causing the car to break slightly as if the car is coming down from second to first gear. Does anyone else experience this? As this is my first automatic coming from a manual, perhaps this might just be me and I need to adjust how I brake in comparison to a manual, however if I can get this adjusted under the warranty that would also be fine.

Thanks for your help everyone, :)

hj29

• Like 1

Hi Hj29

Welcome lots of good info on here.

I can tell you mine is exactly the same "feature" although sometimes under certain conditions as the car slows downt , say to lights, at the very last before stopping, it feels like it drops out of gear. Its not a problem and probably another feature. Its been like it for all the time i have had it (1.5yrs). The multi drive is very responsive and far better than some i have tried namely my sisters Smart which clunks up and down through the gears.

I am more an electronics engineer ,i'm sure people like George have a better input

David

Thanks for the welcome tarquin. Glad to hear its a 'feature' rather than a problem. Suppose it's what you get use to at the end of the day. Think it's a great gearbox though and much better to the auto's of yesteryear. If anyones got more info on this that would be great.

Welcome.

Have a play about with it.

Have you read the manual.?

Automatic, but it is a CVT (constant variable transmission, 6 ratios in there.)

S, great to drop and hold gears, decelerate, accelerate. use in 'S'now, or 'S'porty driving.

You can do between 'D' and 'S' and use it a bit like a sequential box.

B, Brake, Decelerate, hold the lower gears.

(do not select from S if at too high a road speed.)

For driving off on ice or the like you can disable the VSC+ before starting Off.

Hold the button for more than 3 seconds

Maybe put into 'B' at slow speeds. manual change to 'S' or 'D'

Have fun, great cars.

george

Hi there, :thumbsup: i have an IQ2 auto too, 2012 model. I think i know what you're experiencing. The good news, as others have said, is its normal, and you'll find you soon get used to it.

The CVT gearbox and ECU definitely have some interesting software. If you drive in hilly areas, you'll notice things happen to try to predict the conditions and assist the driver. :eek: Also use of the brake pedal makes a difference too to how the gearbox behaves. Down hills for example with the selector in D, if you brake for a few seconds, the car will start to assist with engine braking. When you level out, it depends on your subsequent accelerator inputs as to how the gearbox then responds, either maintaining or dropping off the revs to go back to its most economical mode.

You'll also find that experimenting with very light accelerator pedal pressures mean that you can drive quite quickly at approx 1500 rpm up to around say 50-60mph. You kind of surf the torque wave (ok - so maybe calling it a torque wave is a bit strong for the little 1 litre!!) :D

Have fun...report back how you get on.

Thanks for the information everyone. Didn't realise the complexities of the gearbox :lol: Did have a flick through the manual, but everyone on the forum has given me much more information.

I've noticed today that when in traffic sticking the gearbox into 's' sport mode, reduced the tendancy for the car to slow down as you brake for say traffic lights. It also ups the responsiveness of the gearbox. Wish I had a bit of snow to test the car out on but hey ho :driving:

Have to say that I'm not getting great mpg at the moment (39mpg ish), but I know for a fact that is down to the way I am driving it but the upside is i'm having heaps of fun! :-)

Can anyone reccomend any non-toyota mats, as the ones in my iQ eventhough they are only a year old, have already worn through and I don't fancy paying out for another set of manufactures mats if they last the same!

Couple of points...."S" mode isn't sport mode. Sounds like it should be though i agree. There's 2 stages of engine braking, there's S and B. Its covered in the manual p 175, although not very clearly. So S is not a mode you're expected to drive in for long periods. D is where you should be both for performance and economy.

On the subject of economy, 39 is a bit low, so try using D all the time and see if it improves. Mine does 46 without trying, and i get 55+ on longer gentle runs. How many miles have you got on the clock?

• Like 1

The good function of 'S' is like having the 'Over Drive' button at Off or 'On' and 'off' as required on a Traditional Torque Converter Automatic gearbox.

On a traditional Automatic you might switch in and out of Overdrive to stop going up to Top gear/higher gears. Hilly roads and on longer or steeper descents.

Inhibits the box revving on Country roads of ups and downs, where full revs may not be required,

not always the best of roads for economy anyway.

Good for decelerating and not using the brakes with your foot.

You can knock between 'D' & 'S', but we aware of road speeds, and when you do reduce speed (decelerate)

or for Acceleration. Down to 'S' boot it and up to 'D' again.

Equally trial and error at lower speeds to practice 'S' and down to 'B' for braking,

moving around at slower speeds, winter conditions where engine braking might be preferable to touching the brakes.

Just how i drive a CVT, others may well disagree.

I love them, great boxes.

A 'Subaru XV' CVT almost as good & can come with paddles.

george

• Like 1

Cars done about 4000 miles, so is over the period they allow for the car to be broken in. Have been doing a mixture of town and motorway driving and a number of short journeys, so can see why the mpg is so bad. If anyones got any hints on how to improve I would be most grateful.

Just driven home from work and have tried a few of your ideas out. Wish the car has a sport mode! I know the car wasnt made to drive with vigour, but its one of the best cars I have driven to glide round the corners. Sure it's a tad bumpy, but its a hella lot of fun. :driving: 10X better than the Mini (imo). Feels more fun, like the original.

Switching from S to D up the hills definitley pushes the car along much easier and using it like a sequential gearbox (only from time to time) picks the car up when travelling at a lower speed. Have got use to the gearbox much more now and have perfected how to stop as the car brakes up to the traffic lights.

What the reliability of the multidrive box like? As reliable as a manual box or not?

Would really like tailored velour mats if I could, not toyota though. Are there any good websites to source them from?

Thanks again! :D

The iQ Multidrive box is totally reliable, but like anything mechanical there must be some that have problems.

Not heard of any tho.

The 1.0 3 cylinder is different from a 1.3 4 cylinder, i preffer a 1.0.

If you want performance rev it, it is a VVTi, read up what that is.

If you want economy just stick in D, chill and try to stay off the brakes and use S to decelerate.

Cars do Zero MPG while sitting stationary with the engine running what ever the Fuel Gauge or computer says.

Going no place and using fuel, so think of that when commuting & computing.

Brim the tank and go by that for MPG, not the fuel gauge or computer.

You soon learn economic driving with a Multidrive,

it does it for you unless you are wanting to nip on.

george

• Like 1

Would really like tailored velour mats if I could, not toyota though. Are there any good websites to source them from?

I got some from Halfords they are made to measure, twice as thick as the Toyota mats and the drivers has a reinforced heel panel. Cost about £50 which is about the same as Toyota prices but much better. The Only thing was, the first set they sent out the eyelets were in the wrong place to fit the hooks, so I asked them to replace them without the hole and supply the eyelets loose so i could fit them in the right place, which they did no problem.

• Like 1

Getting 45mpg now I have been driving it for couple of weeks, which isnt too bad considering the journeys I do. Am really
loving the car, think it's brilliant and can't rate it highly enough.

Did have an Aygo in the past when they were were released, but find the quality of the iQ 10x better and it feels a more grown up and sophisticated car.

Do you think the mpg will get any better with increased milage? Have currently just ticked past the 4500 mark.

I got some from Halfords they are made to measure, twice as thick as the Toyota mats and the drivers has a reinforced heel panel. Cost about £50 which is about the same as Toyota prices but much better. The Only thing was, the first set they sent out the eyelets were in the wrong place to fit the hooks, so I asked them to replace them without the hole and supply the eyelets loose so i could fit them in the right place, which they did no problem.

Can't seem to find them on the Halfords website. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Are these similar to the ones found in Halfords? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-IQ-2009-CUR-BLACK-VELOUR-Car-Mats-/281049880283?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416fe0d6db

The iQ Multidrive box is totally reliable, but like anything mechanical there must be some that have problems.

Not heard of any tho.

The 1.0 3 cylinder is different from a 1.3 4 cylinder, i preffer a 1.0.

If you want performance rev it, it is a VVTi, read up what that is.

If you want economy just stick in D, chill and try to stay off the brakes and use S to decelerate.

Cars do Zero MPG while sitting stationary with the engine running what ever the Fuel Gauge or computer says.

Going no place and using fuel, so think of that when commuting & computing.

Brim the tank and go by that for MPG, not the fuel gauge or computer.

You soon learn economic driving with a Multidrive,

it does it for you unless you are wanting to nip on.

george

I've just brimed the tank and will get back to you with a proper MPG figure. Why can't manufactures make a workable MPG calculate that is actually accurate?!

Thanks,

Josh

Just checked the Halfords website and they don't come up. I ordered mine instore, think they do two different qualities. I went for the luxury. They do look similar to those on the eBay link

• 6 months later...

Hi there i'm new here and i have to i really appreciate all the feed back. i would like help here tho, i have a 1.0 cvt iq2, i'm experiencing at low speeds and idle that the vehicle is shuddering in an 'almost stalling' feel! has anyone else experienced this. its not apparent when pushing hard on the accelerator pedal but as i say its only at low speeds and coasting. i have been thinking that as this is only a 3 cylinder mated with the fact that its a vvti, both of which are firsts for me. i would like some feedback as i'm suspecting the vehicle to be faulty.

thanks again!

Welcome to the forum.

How many miles has it done?

Has it been serviced and running a nice clean air filter, and spark plugs checked and replaced if required.?

If all done then you need to find out why it feels like it does.

A 3 cylinder VVTi might well feel or sound different, but it should still run properly,

not roughly. & Not feel like it is stalling.

If in doubt go into a dealership and get a run in another iQ 1.0 CVT and see if it feels like yours does.

george

Hi George it has done 28k and ive checked the engine oil which is very viscous and hasn't discoloured ( suggesting to me that the service was indeed carried out at 28k prior to my purchase) on discussing this with another toyota dealer and not the supplying one, he had suggested that the car has been setup to 'idle low' as he put it to aid in better fuel consumption. definately isnt a lack of power as other manual owners has experienced. Also tried to check the EGR valve and it seems to be the old one( i judged on other images from posts on this forum, it doesnt have a rippled end) does this EGR valve problem also affect CVT models? i haven't read any posts regarding this and have also joined Scion IQ forums, again no reports. ive tried to also organise CVT model tesst drives but none of the toyota dealers near me have any for sale or as demos....hoping its my naivety in owning a 1.0 vvti lump before! again all your help is appreciated.

many thanks

I would suggest you look at the air filter, see if it was changed or needs changed now.

& then the spark plugs may need checked and may need changed.

Because oil and filter was changed means nothing as far as a car being serviced, it just means it had its oil changed.

??Is there anything in the folder, the service book and any invoices showing the Oil used, the Health Check list for Services, Tyre Depth, parts replaced, ie Air , oil or pollen filters,etc,

from the previous owner or the Dealers service before supplying to you?

Just ask the dealer that sold it to you, if they are a Toyota Dealership, to look on the computer, tell you what has been done and get them to have the car running smoothly.

You say you spoke to another Dealer.

Was that someone with some Mechanical Engineering qualifications or training, a Technician or a Master Tech or someone with a opinion on a Service desk or a sales person,?

because i suggest they are talking through the place they normally sit on.

Just ask that helpful dealer to get the car plugged in on the Diagnostics, and ask them how the

tick over was turned down, what actually was done to do that,

(because if they know how they can just increase the rpm again to the tick over that is specced for your engine,

and ask he/she do they really believe that that would be a fuel saving measure or even sensible to reduce the tickover on a 1.0 Multidrive ?

george

The tick over on my IQ2 auto is extremely slow, but I never get the feeling the engine will stall, and it never has. The 1.0 is roughest at idle. actually, it's not rough, just offbeat.

When I read you refer to the oil as viscous, that rang a few alarms, because 0/20, the recommended oil, is certainly not viscous. It's actually very thin, even when cold.

Hi Hicardo, i think you've described what i'm experiencing....offbeat feel when idle.....not rough just not what i'm used to i suppose. must say its less noticeable if i'm pottering around in S as opposed to being in D which if engaged , gives better economy, but then the 'offbeat' ness begins again. I must say despite this 'characteristic' as i have put it untill i drive another cvt 1.0 to compare to, is a hell a lot of fun and i have to say my love of driving has been reignited rather than being doused in this city car! I love it , its a great little motor and i just treated it to some new shoes! The oil wasn't as viscous as i made out it to be but in fact what i should have said was correct viscosity. ive booked into my local garage who maintains all my vehicles to confirm the status of air filter and spark plugs, will replace according to his report and keep you guys posted.

Many thanks again guys

• 3 months later...

Don't forget to turn on economy mode, using the dash buttons for the clock etc.

Then you get the eco mode lights showing you how well you are doing in real time.

I also have the real time MPG on all the time to help me drive more economically, you will be suprised what a massive difference a very slight change of pressure on the pedal makes.

I also have the CVT and think the car is superb.

I have also notice thats if you ease off the throttle briefly and gently press it again that the MPG is better than before as if the gearbox is in a different mode or ratio.

I also cost and burn a lot when nobody is behind me, not sure if this helps or not, my issue is the short distance I drive each time I get in it.

I get 45-50 depending on the temperature, I thinks that good under the circumstances. A diesel sure wouldn't do any better.