Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Engine Oil?

BigMo82

I want to top up my engine oil as I'm not planning to get the car serviced until the summer but I'm not sure which engine oil I need. I've got a 2.0 petrol vvti Avensis. Engine code is 1az-fse. Any ideas on what would be the best option considering I don't know what's in there at the moment? All I know is the last oil change was done by Toyota.

If you have the service history paperwork, you could always have a look at that & see what was used. Failing that, call the Toyota garage & ask them what was used & what they recommend. You can't go wrong then, especially if you have no manual to refer to.

Toyota will tell you it's Toyota Oil. You will be none the wiser. My service history does not mention what oil was used

according to the Avensis manual (2004) its 5w 30 preferred.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just to confirm my avensis is a petrol does that make a difference to the oil that is used? And also do I need fully synthetic?

Thanks

Mo

Hello, my local Toyota dealers uses Mobil 1 esp 5w 30 for petrol and diesel cars.

Pete.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just to confirm my avensis is a petrol does that make a difference to the oil that is used? And also do I need fully synthetic?

Thanks

Mo

Just get Toyota's own 5W30 semi synthetic from your nearest dealer, around £20 for 5 litre, it will be more than adequate. As long as the oil and filter are changed at the required intervals then you don't need fully synthetic.

i use a semi synthetic 5w/30 on some of the machines in my work

its from ferguson and menzies

opus lubricants fame 5/30 longlife is the name

im gonna do a wee spec check to see if it meets the latest criteria then its a free supply of oil for me i could change as often as i wish

Topped up about half a litre a little while ago but I am struggling to accurately check the level on the dip stick. May just take it to the mechanics and tell him to change the oil completely.

Mo

a garage will do what ever u ask them with in reason.... a good garage may tell u it isnt needed yet and show u how to read the dipstick etc

coop

Can we PLEASE have a sticky about engine oils and what type to use, there is a daily request for "what oil in my car"

I have posted up the correct type / grade umpteen times in the past, it needs to go somewhere where it can be found easily

Please moderators????? I will supply the list again, no problem

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I put Castrol Edge in when I changed, it pays to buy the best oils, 5w 30 could mean anything. Due to the oil burning problems with these engines due to coking of oilways in the pisons, I am think of asking for an oil flush when it is serviced next.

i just flush with a cheap eng oil if i buy a car and dont know the history

then drain and fill good oil and filter

then have regular oil changes

dont like engine flush as it thins oil and a lot of people on the subaru scene hate it cause they have experienced big end failure within days after using it. there defo seems to be a pattern of the boxer engine not liking it . heard about it getting the blame so many times

robster would that be all flat 4 engines.... wondering if i should quit putting it in my beetle engine

personally just the ej20 subaru engine that i know of but thats convinced me