Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio/cd Player Puzzle 2002 Nrg

broughton

Hi, Just got my second Rav 4 yesterday - with a Celica in between - but as I drove it away from the second-hand dealer I was dismayed to find the radio didn't work. Yes, can't believe I didn't check it earlier. The display on the radio unit shows outside temperature and fuel consumption data as soon as the key is turned, and responds to the right hand button to switch between mpg and kmpl. But the on/off +volume on the left does nothing, and neither radio nor cd are alive. Dealer, surprise, surprise, is not interested; I'd be grateful for any comments or advice.

Wotsha and Welcome t'club, Kevin,

They are simplicity itself to remove and check if any connectors and / or wires have come adrift at the rear of unit......a fellow novice recently did so and waggled (Scottish for wiggled.....) a black wire and found that it resumed working.

Failing finding something obvious, there is an eBay fixeriser here in Scotland who does the whole processor unit for about £100.00.....they are prone to going, and you have the classic symptomaticals.....or keep eye out on eBay for one for sale. Let me know model number on front fascia and I will help look (or will get fellow Ravver Davrav to look......he is a founder member of finding all things Ravful......)

Big Kev .....I know more words than anybody on here.......if you need a word, just ask.....if I don't know it, I will make you one up.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Big Kev. I appreciate a good neologism, and I can only blame my own innattentivity. I got over-excited on finding a well-kept 2002 diesel on only 39,000 miles, and I just didn't check everything I should have.

The number on the unit fascia is 58806.

It's just as well the car is in generally beautiful nick and has 6 service stamps suporting the low miles. Otherwise I'd be getting depressed to find that not only is the radio defunct but the electronic key is on its last legs. You wouldn't have a word for that, by any chance.... or an idea on the best way to get a replacement?

I went back to the Rav from the Celica as I like a bit of fishing, and you can get a bit further down the riverbank in the Rav.

Thanks again for the helpful reply.

Aye.....awrite Davrav.....ah was having ma dinner.....ah would have found these too.......lol.

Kevin......keys very cheaply available on eBay.....have a wee search on here under "broken or replacement key fobs". Any doubts come back on with foateez of your current key fob both sides.....have only recently found out there are two different key metal blanks. Blasted two broked in a week......!

As far as radio goes, Davrav has done his usual..........

Oh god, there's two of them at it now!!!

Oh god, there's two of them at it now!!!

Must look up "neologism"......probably the art of teaching folks how to light themseves up....."inattentivity".......obviously a themed Christmas play......?

Thanks a lot Davrav, Big Kev, great to know I won't have to take a second job to sort out the key and radio problems I brought on myself. I appealed to the dealer's better nature, and, since they had a couple of other Rav's of similar ilk in stock, they offered to swap my duff radio unit for a working one from one of those. I'm hoping they have something compatible. If that doesn't work out, I'll go for the repair. I was fascinated to notice that not only does the unit show only mpg and outside temperature; it also ticks like an old clock and the light illuminating the buttons comes on and off with the tick.

For the key, the dealer has undertaken to get me a spare non - electronic one, and then I'll have a bit of time to sort out a replacement as you suggest.

I don't know what came over me - I'm normally quite sensible when I change my car. But I'm pleased to be back in a Rav again.

Thanks a lot Davrav, Big Kev, great to know I won't have to take a second job to sort out the key and radio problems I brought on myself. I appealed to the dealer's better nature, and, since they had a couple of other Rav's of similar ilk in stock, they offered to swap my duff radio unit for a working one from one of those. I'm hoping they have something compatible. If that doesn't work out, I'll go for the repair. I was fascinated to notice that not only does the unit show only mpg and outside temperature; it also ticks like an old clock and the light illuminating the buttons comes on and off with the tick.

For the key, the dealer has undertaken to get me a spare non - electronic one, and then I'll have a bit of time to sort out a replacement as you suggest.

I don't know what came over me - I'm normally quite sensible when I change my car. But I'm pleased to be back in a Rav again.

Keep us posted mate prior to spending large repair bucks......and the keys are simples.

Hi there, Well things haven't worked out too badly: dealer swapped the faulty radio unit for a working one, and with the old key innards transferred to a new Shell I've got a key that doesn't threaten to disintegrate when you use it. And for both it didn't cost more than the diesel for the 200 mile round trip to the dealer - yes, I do believe in making life easy for myself. So now I've got one electronic key in good nick. I'd feel happier if I had a spare - is there a way to get further electronic keys made?