Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To Mr2 Or Not

GT-Four NZ

I'm driving a GT-Four at the moment and are looking at selling to get a more economical car. I've always liked the MR2 (SW20) but had some issues.

I'm 6"2 is this a problem? (My mates AW11 was not a nice experience, I had to remove the T-tops ;) )

What is the fuel consumption like on open road?

Whats the performance like on a N/A with a mild exhaust and a filter?

How much can you actually fit into them, gear wise? (I bodyboard and if a 42" board won't fit it's all over)

Any areas I should check out that are prone to problems?

How tail-happy is a N/A? (How heavy's my right foot I know :rolleyes: !! but on open road situations around the bends in the wet)

Turbo?

Okay .. I'm 6'4" .. and I fit in mine fine ..

MPG .. about 25 is driving miss daisy, about 15 is giving serious beans. (turbo)

NA's are not about 0-60's, it's about cornering .. a new top-of-the-line Focus will give an MR2 a problem in a straight line.

Room? I can fit two sets of clubs and 2 weeks worth of clothes in the boot. Dunno about a board, maybe in the passenger seat ..

Problems - calipers and eletrics

The Rev1's were more tail happy than the latter revisions.

Turbo? - Yes please .. (I've owned both)

Oh .. and there is another Kiwi on here who is an MR2 driver .. he may be able to help you with more location specifics .. (KiwiMR2)

One of the reasons I'm selling mine is that I can't fit my 7'9 mini mal in or on it...

And I'm pretty tall, but sit comfortably in it.

I have a rev4 n/a and it handles VERY well round corners.... but in the wet, it's a different story.

I can get around 260 miles to a full tank.... of mixed driving.

Bibbs is on the ball :)

I USED to bodyboard.....unfortunitly BEFORE I owned my own car but I have tried fitting one in and it fit's on the front seat peice of cake, in the rear boot sideways, and even under the front bonnet were the spare tyre is :) ( I must admit I miss it too :( )

I wonder though how you will feel going from a Turbo to a NA.......albeit an overweight turbo ;) But I reakon your gonna miss that surge that the turbo delivers on boost. Were about's in NZ are you again?? I still remeber my NA MR2 and it was still pretty quick, from a drag perspective against other NA's it was quite good....peeled back my fair share of V-tec Honda's etc and gave the Turbos a good run for there money (NA's are nice to launch and against the turbos you can get a good launch to make up for the lack of boost) As Bibbs mentioned handling is great. open roads, well on a LONG trip...say Wgtn to Auckland I used to get around 500-550 km's on a tank....around the same as I can get on my GT-S now actully....but around town the NA would own in fuel consumption.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well for posting one hour ago thats pretty good going. Cheers guys. I'm in West Auckland and yeah the Four is kinda on the scale tipping side which is why i was thinking MR2, that and the 2WD would be substantially better on the gas and it's not a FWD. It's the lack of boost that I'm counting on as at the mo I think that I'm addicted and seem to boost everywhere. It's usually only me in the car so I'm not too worried bout the 2 seater side of things. I know that the engines are reliable and I'm not really wanting to rebuild another turbo (I'm a student for god's sake) as what i would buy would be a cheap, high k's thing that at a later stage would get the love and attention. I would really like to have some coin left after the change tho so if my Celica went for $5k or a little more it would be less than that. Is that a fair price Kiwi? Its a 1990, white tidy as but 200km on the clock new turbo and clutch in last 6 months, its been standard all it's life and I'm the first male owner since it arrived from japan in 1992.

if youre addicted to boost mate then best bet is to go for a turbo! :thumbsup: , how bout going for a test-drive in both?

a new top-of-the-line Focus will give an MR2 a problem in a straight line.

:crybaby: A ford focus could beat my 2 in a straight line?? i've read somewhere that a N/A mr2 shoud be able to do 138mph! surely a focus cant do that?? :!Removed!:

Hmm, strange you had trouble getting into a Mk1.

I'm 6"3' and I own an AW11, I can get into it fine. Mind you, most of my height is my legs, so I can't heel-toe :(

You should definatly be able to fit in an SW as I have driven my mates, felt very roomy.

some of those focus's aren't half bad you know, suprisingly quick too.

i think it's the zetec that's quicker (and cheaper) than the st170 :huh:

Oh and don't be suprised if some of those focus are quicker than an mr2.... the mr2 is using engine technology that is 10 years or more behind the focus.

went for $5k or a little more it would be less than that. Is that a fair price Kiwi?

Yep, I reakon that sounds like a good fair price.....but I think you'll still have trouble selling it :( hard to sell cars at the moment, I reakon you might have better luck trying to SWAP it with a NA MR2 owner. You could try advertising it as for sale/swap, try on the forums...flick me an e-mail when your ready and I'll put it up for sale etc on all the NZ forums.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

My n/a is very quick round town, some people dont realise how fast they can be driven if you keep in the power band.

Oh and yeah... they drive like pap in the wet.

Cheers Kiwi, I might see if my mate is on good terms with his ex who has a "98 turbo and see if I can give it a raping...um i mean...test drive. Then set about trying to get rid of the boat anchor if I decide they're for me.

Maybe it was the change from havin a cabin behind me in the Celica to a glass pane that made it feel cramped in the AW11???

I went from a quick as Levin GT-Z to an auto Celica Z-R which i had for 2 years so I think that I could get over boost... with therapy.

Froston if you converted the currency over my Four cost me just under 2000 pound which i gather isn't a lot by your reaction but thats what they're worth here. No mi$$u$ which also helps with the cashflow!! You want to see what the asian students drive over here!!! Most are just bright yellow rice rockets with wings that United Airlines wants returned I'm sure, but occasionally the odd 200SX/Supra/Altezza/Evo/Integra with HKS/Blitz/Trust/Spoon goodies crops up to put local guys to shame. Good when Dad/Mate works for Nissan/Toyota/Mitsubishi/Honda or HKS/Blitz/Trust/Spoon back in Japan I spose.

Sorry, no offence to yellow MR2 drivers was meant by that comment...

unless of course they have absurdly big "wings" on them that assist in take off and aerial manouveres!!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry more questions. I've just been told by a friend who knows his :censor: that the MR2's are prone to understeer as they have little weight in the nose. He admitted never owning one but he seems to have a point. This makes sense but surely a production car couldn't have such unsafe charateristics. Just wanting to confirm that he is wrong on this occasion and that the car is no more prone to understeer than most other cars on the road.

Cheers guys.

he's bang on this one m8!

its very severe in cases!

the l8r models had this "characteristic" toned down but still compared to most cars it suffers extreme oversteer.

to quote a phrase a wise man once told me "in an MR2 it's not *just* sideways .. can do backwards, side to side and pirouettes .. just wait for the ice .. " :)

-Z

I know they're tail happy and thats a good thig cos I know how to drift and usually pick up what a car is capable off fairly quickly. I was asking about understeer as in turning and the car goin straight. with no weight on the front wheels (i.e. no engine there) he reckons they don.t grip too well hence the understeering. Sideways is good but straight into a corner at 120km is not a fun experience!!!

lol i thawt u sed oversteer, my bad, im half asleep :)

naah dont understeer at all m8 :thumbsup:

as soon as u turn the wheel at speed the rear can quite easily swing round, dont think u could get it to understeer if u tried :D

-Z

Thats what I thought!! Thanks for clearing that up, I can handle the oversteer though I'm sure it will take some getting used to as at the moment I can just point and plant. I drove an AE86 with a worked 4AGE for a few months a while back and loved it, is handling similar or something totally different? But I'm sick of the fuel and the maintenance and the boringness of 4WD. Cheers man.

totally different m8, but u WILL love it.

just don't expect to be drifting ala. '86 or 200 style!

-Z

Sorry more questions. I've just been told by a friend who knows his :censor: that the MR2's are prone to understeer as they have little weight in the nose. He admitted never owning one but he seems to have a point. This makes sense but surely a production car couldn't have such unsafe charateristics. Just wanting to confirm that he is wrong on this occasion and that the car is no more prone to understeer than most other cars on the road.

Cheers guys.

Don't let ot phase ya...it doesn't take long to get used to it ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2