Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Auto

Torque

Possibly changing to a Yaris but not one of the new style and looking for feedback on what they're like to own. I currently run an Octavia vRS diesel with the DSG box which is superb, the same unfortunately can't be said about the dealers and, due to a probable change of job I'm not going to be doing the mileage to justify the 2.0 diesel hence the downsizing.

I'd be looking at SR or TR spec and either the 1.33 petrol or 1.4 diesel engine so interested to know what these engines are like and how they are with the auto box.

Car: Awesome

Engines: Super Awesome

MMT AutoBox: Sucks Donkey Balls

CVT AutoBox: Never tried it

HSD AutoBox: Lovely

Of the 2 engines, would recommend the Diesel engine as it is (IMHO!) the best engine; Diesel torque in a car this light makes it a lot of fun :D

However, if you only drive in town or do lots of short journeys it will develop sooty problems in the EGR and DPF so only pick it if there will be regular A-road or motorway runs in its life!

The autobox in the Mk1 and Mk2 is the MMT and it's horrible. The Mk3 has a CVT and the hybrid HSD - The HSD is really nice but a lot more expensive. Haven't driven the CVT one before so can't comment on it...

Edit: Gah! Stop eating all the linefeeds silly forum!

MK1 Yaris 1999-2005 Had either:

1.0 16v petrol a freetronic automatic ( a normal 5 speed gear shift but no clutch pedal ) early cars

10.16v petrol 2003> ( a normal 5 speed box but shift and clutch auto controlled )

1.3 16v petrol a conventional auto

1.5 16v petrol no auto option

1.4 D4d dieasel no auto option

The 1.0 freetronic is a rare beast and the MMT is an aquired taste its an automated manual gearbox where a computer and motors control the clutch and shift, so as with a manual there is a pause between shifts, drive it and see how it feels to you. The 1.3 full auto is the best choice on the Mk1

Mk2a Yaris 2005-2009

1.0 12v petrol no auto option

1.3 16v petrol a mutlimode automatic ( a normal 5 speed box but shift and clutch auto controlled )

1.4 D4d diesel a multimode automatic ( a normal 5 speed box but shift and clutch auto controlled )

Mk2b Yaris 2009-2011

1.33 16v petrol a multimode automatic ( a normal 6 speed box but shift and clutch auto controlled ) also has steering paddle shifters.

1.4 D4d diesel a multimode automatic ( a normal 6 speed box but shift and clutch auto controlled ) also has steering paddle shifters.

As above the MMT multimode is an acquired taste, as the model got older the shift characteristics improved & the 2009 > 6 speed boxes are the best choice as the paddle shifters let you override the car when you choose.

Mk3 Yaris 2011-

1.33 16v petrol a CVT constantly variable transmission

1.4 D4d no auto option.

1.5 hybrid uses a e-cvt

The petrol cvt seems that those who choose it are happy with it. Hybrid is very new but pop over to the hybrid section on here and ask for the drivers views.

Devon

The 1.33 Petrol CVT is the same as used on my Verso S..........I have completed nearly 17000 miles in mine and find it excellent.

The CVT box is super smooth and makes the car very economical

I would recommend that you try one prior to buying as the driving technique is different from the manual box but very easy to live with :)

"the paddle shifters let you override the car when you choose"

Not when the "brain" decides to stick in first, no chance of over-riding it! Selecting manual when it sticks allows a change up but the "brain", in it's infinite wisdom, immediately changes back down to first! :bored:

I have driven a Honda Jazz with their CVT and a Verso S with Toyota's CVT it's very good transmission indeed.

A prolonged test drive over a route of your choice, not the salesperson, or even a 24hr loan of a Yaris MMT must be recommended. I personally, along with lots of others, found the MMT fitted to the Yaris absolutely useless.

Thanks folks, I'd be looking at the 2b, feedback much appreciated :-)

Not when the "brain" decides to stick in first, no chance of over-riding it! Selecting manual when it sticks allows a change up but the "brain", in it's infinite wisdom, immediately changes back down to first! :bored:

I have driven a Honda Jazz with their CVT and a Verso S with Toyota's CVT it's very good transmission indeed.

A prolonged test drive over a route of your choice, not the salesperson, or even a 24hr loan of a Yaris MMT must be recommended. I personally, along with lots of others, found the MMT fitted to the Yaris absolutely useless.

I have a 2012 Jazz CVT: chosen in preference to a Yaris hybrid.

It is a superb change: seamless and very economical.. (NOT an I Shift which is similar to MMT. The latest CVT is slushbox +CVT so very very very smooth)

CVT, brings back memories, I had a CVT Volvo 340DL years ago.

Thanks everyone.

I have a 2012 Jazz CVT: chosen in preference to a Yaris hybrid.

It is a superb change: seamless and very economical.. (NOT an I Shift which is similar to MMT. The latest CVT is slushbox +CVT so very very very smooth)

Yes, Honda tried that iShift to replace their previous CVT then reverted back to the latest CVT after receiving so many customer complaints re the iShift (or so I read somewhere a while ago). I wonder if Toyota took a leaf out of Honda's book in replacing the MMT in some of their models?

I agree, the current generation CVTs are really excellent.

Thanks everyone.

I had a Daf, which is where Volvo got that CVT from. Must have been about 35 years ago now and in many ways still one of the best automatics I've owned. (One 'feature' was that it acted as a limited slip differential - very useful in muddy fields as it turned out. IIRC Volvo added a differential, as well as putting it in the much heavier 340 body, which made it a much less useful box I think.)

Thanks everyone.

I had a Daf, which is where Volvo got that CVT from. Must have been about 35 years ago now and in many ways still one of the best automatics I've owned. (One 'feature' was that it acted as a limited slip differential - very useful in muddy fields as it turned out. IIRC Volvo added a differential, as well as putting it in the much heavier 340 body, which made it a much less useful box I think.)

The modern Toyota CVT box is much more technically advanced from the early DAF/ Volvo transmissions which were more simple in design and not quite as reliable or smooth

... not quite as reliable or smooth

So 40 years on they are a bit smoother and a bit more reliable. That's not terribly impressive really :no:

The CVT in the Yaris SR 1.33 is very good, it cannot be likened in any way to the technology of 40 years ago

I have been running one for a few months now, really impressed with the car in general, apart from 42 MPG which I think is poor for a 1.33 and the headlights which you get out and light a wick each evening (joke but you get the idea)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I suppose the modern CVT's don't have the characteristic whine that the DAF Variomatic had, nor the rubber belts that need regular replacement.

I have experienced Mk1 Auto , Mk2 MMT Auto and my current motor is the Mk3 CVT Auto.

Best of the lot has to be the CVT , so slick and the gear changes are seamless.

One thing i miss on a normal old school auto is the kickdown , the CVT just doesnt have the same burst of acceleration that i like on the Mk1 , the CVT is just too smooth as the power delivery is very linear.

Must admit I did like my Volvo CVT, really shocked a few people with how nippy it was, remember we're going back some years here ;-)

MikeSh, yes I remember the 340 and 360 basically being rebadged DAFs with a lot more weight and yes there was a constant wine from the cvt box.

Thanks for the info folks :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice 2007 1.33 T Spirt in at a dealers not too far away from me, right price, good mileage, might pop and have a test drive as it'll be the MMT transmission so will be interesting if nothing else.

I've spotted quite a few mk3 autos within price range but I'm not sure on the new shape, I think I'm going to have to visit a local dealer so as I can see the 2b and the 3 side by side, test drive both and judge for myself. The CVT on the mk3 could be a big draw.

Go for a test drive in a Mk3 CVT to get a feel how that auto system works , I had mine for over a year now and it has been slick.

The MMT versions are rubbish in comparison , I would gladly choose another CVT auto anyday even over a manual as my next car

Go for a test drive in a Mk3 CVT to get a feel how that auto system works , I had mine for over a year now and it has been slick.

The MMT versions are rubbish in comparison , I would gladly choose another CVT auto anyday even over a manual as my next car

I will do, yours looks really well; red car with dark silver wheels, I've always thought the Yaris suits red.

Yeah I like the dark chrome alloys on the SR , plus the interior bits are red , I.e stitching on the steering wheel handbrakes etc. This matches nicely with the red of the car , I didn't like the burning red version , hence the bright red version I went for

Obviously the ride is a bit hubikr on the 16inch alloys of the SR compared to the others and also due to the sportier suspension. , if u can live without the sporty bits have a look at the TR version :)

I thought all the mk3 autos were CVT, most dealers are advertising them as 6 speed autos?

I thought all the mk3 autos were CVT, most dealers are advertising them as 6 speed autos?

All Mk3 autos are CVTs , dealers have them advertised wrongly i guess