Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Diesel Starts But Fades When Cold

jon8910

Hi

I hope someone can help. I have a 2008 2.0 D4D which was having problems starting. It would take two attempts to start it when cold and then run on 2 or 3 cylinders for maybe a second then it ran on all four and was fine. So I had the glow plugs changed.

Now it will run on all four for about a couple of seconds and then stops. This only happens in cold weather. If I don't put my foot on the accelerator pedal it might start and run after 8 attempts, each attempt it will run for a couple of seconds. However, if I put my foot about a quarter down on the accelerator pedal it starts after a couple of attempts. When it does run, there is not much power, or I cant rev it much for about half in minute, like a petrol car with not enough choke. When the engine is hot it starts fine.

I don't know if it is:

* air getting into the fuel line, but it is strange that it only happens in cold weather - maybe something is contracting and letting air in.

* one of the sensors not telling the engine management to make the mixture richer or adjusting timing.

* the starter motor not spinning the engine fast enough - the Battery is good as it lasts well while attempting to start.

* something to do with the new Blueprint glow plugs, they are the correct ones, I checked with Blueprint. The garage who fitted them checked them and said they were fine. It is strange this problem appeared as soon as new glowplugs were put in. It started after a couple of attempts previously but ran rough until all four were firing.

Thanks for any advice

jon8910

just a guess but may be needing to change fuel filter or filter heater(if it has one)

your filter may have water or residue trapped in it and causing an obstruction if it ices up

also look for posts about scv to see if your symptoms are similar

The garage who fitted them checked them and said they were fine. It is strange this problem appeared as soon as new glowplugs were put in. It started after a couple of attempts previously but ran rough until all four were firing.

Thanks for any advice

jon8910

Bare in mind no meter the glow plugs light goes ON for 1-2 sec , heating lasts about 1.5 min after engine start when is cold.