Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault Code

ROBBO48

Firstly, HI everyone.

A newbie here. Got my first Rav last month and not had any luck at all so far. Rav4 06 Diesel 3door D4D.

Engine light came on and went in to limp mode. My other half searched the forum and lubricated turbo actuator ? valve arm. Stiff at first but loosened up well. Also cleaned (blew) and a quick spray of WD40 electric sensors.

Limp mode stopped, light stayed on but eventually went off. All seemed well.

Problem returned Two weeks later. Warning light and same code and in to limp mode. Done all above again and took advice from the BRILLIANT ANCHORMAN, took VRV valve off and cleaned and sprayed in the holes with WD40.

Noticed next to the Two holes where the vacuum hoses attach,there is another hole, but feels like something has broken away and nothing is attached to it. I have seen on the forums somewhere some body else with the same damaged part and a photo.

I will try to add a photo myself.

Near to the valve is another sensor type thing with a rubber cap on the end which looks out of place, but i don't know what this is. Does anyone know what should be attached to this hole? and what is the rubber topped thing? Could this be contributing to this annoying boost pressure problem?

I would be very grateful of any help at all, thanks in advance.

Sorry new to this .

FAULT CODE it should be. Can anyone alter this?

thanks

Thank you Anchorman for your prompt reply and, for making good my mistake.

First pic is of the, the vsv valve,(i think), with the hole that looks like something was once attached, rough edges round hole like something has broken off.

The next pics are the location of this valve and the rubber cap that i don't know what it is.. Hope they are more clear.

I was wondering if the hole with nothing attached could be setting off this fault P1251 ?

I also would like my other half to clean the EGR but unclear where it is as the forums instructions on this look slightly different to my set up. could you point me there thanks.

I have read lots on your forums about possibilities of this code being threw up, i am really hoping it isn't the turbo, So without going over everything again, any help would be marvellous

Thanks.

post-129458-0-01901900-1363163523_thumb.

post-129458-0-90353300-1363163750_thumb.

post-129458-0-87731800-1363163870_thumb.

post-129458-0-92444000-1363163960_thumb.

post-129458-0-05518900-1363164079_thumb.

OK now I think I can see what the score is.

The brown valve is the VSV and that controls the turbo with info from the turbo pressure sensor (the thing at the top with the purple sticker). The bit you have been playing with is the VRV which controls the EGR. The EGR is tucked down the side but it won't give you P1251 which is turbo overboost - the VSV might. Give that the WD40 treatment. If not you can check the link from the vac unit on the turbo and if not then you are looking at stripping the turbo as somebody described recently.

That pipe that appears to be missing is just a dirt trap like the little rubber doofer on the end of the VSV. It would be better on but don't lose any sleep over it.

Thanks very much indeed Anchorman, it seems you have a full time job on here, sorting everyone`s problems out. A BIG THANK YOU, to you, and all the folks like you because, .we would be all, well and truly snookered! And at the mercy of the BIG EXPENSIVE MR T.

I will try all the above and get back with feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, engine light still appearing. Limp mode and same P1251 fault. Partner keeps turbo actuator arm lubricated, has checked all vacuum pipes, cleaned and WD401d`d VSV valve and all sensors. Engine light eventually goes out, but is always ready to come back on which it does weekly. I know when its about to come on, i can feel it hesitate or miss a bit on acceleration, and if i keep pressing the peddle, the dreaded light and limp mode.

I feel i have been stitched up by the seller, who i feel,, must of knew of this problem, and, who ironically was, a traffic policeman.

I wish i had NEVER BOTHERED WITH A RAV OR TOYOTA.

£5000 on a car I cant drive. When it does drive, I am frightened to death it will go into limp mode when climbing a hill and there are LOTS whereI live.and BIG Quarry lorries right behind you.

My partner spends more time under the bonnet than in it, Probably a good job he`s not describing his feelings for the wonderful Rav4!

The brilliant Anchorman has suggested maybe a a Turbo Strip? Can anyone point me to the threads for this or explain how to do it?

I am waiting for the VSV to be tested and then last resort, Turbo strip?

Also i have been recommended products to help clean the injectors and turbo by powerenhancer, does anyone have experience of these products and more importantly do they work?

Thank very much

Julie

pm me with your email address and I will send you some pdf's.

I too suspect the seller knew something - r sole.

Keep your chin up.

Somebody did this recently. Did you take any photos?

• 4 weeks later...

Update on P1251 code problem;

Engine management light and limp mode comes on almost daily. Whenever i put my foot down or try to get up a hill, (and there is plenty where i live in the Staffordshire moorlands) A slight stutter, a warning , then LIMP MODE!

I have checked turbo and it is spinning freely.

Have WD40`d turbo actuator arm, it is nice and free and moves ok.

Have had EGR removed and cleaned ( was not too bad, dry carbon only) valve seems to open and shut ok.

Have Cleaned sensors and sprayed with contact cleaner.

Have removed VRV, tested with meter, ok and WD 40`d .

Have removed VSV , tested with mete,ok and WD40`d, also shook and shook but NO shuttle sound or any sound at all.

Have changed fuel, oil and air filters.

Have checked vacuum hoses (as best i can).

Have bought new vacuum hose to put on.

I suspect the VSV is faulty. How can i tell? How do you By-pass this with vacuum hose? I have read threads about this but i am still unclear how this is done.

Can anyone explain to a novice, how this is done? ie Where exactly do hoses go, a diagram? any photos?

The pdf`s i have, i get confused with, VSV/VRV, the VSV is brown but has no vacuum hoses to the EGR like pdf, seems to go to side of engine block.

The other valve, VRV has vacuums to the turbo actuator and another from brake servo? This valve has broken piece where Anchorman informs me, a rubber doofer once sat.

I have spent an eternity reading through these forums and my partner the same bent under the bonnet. My research shows that this fault is anything but uncommon. A very poor design surely by Toyota?

But alas still no where near fixing. I spent a little time researching the RAV before i bought one. OBVIOUSLY NOT ENOUGH! I would NOT RECOMMEND one to anyone.

This car is turning into a nightmare, can any one help please?

pic 1 = Brown VSV valve

pic 2 = vacuum hose from VSV going towards radiator and down.

pic 3 = Where above joins greeny plastic thing attached to side of engine.

pic 4 = closer look at where this joins.

pic 5 = Vacuum hoses from VRV, topmost looks to go to brake servo.to the right and down. The second goes up to (flying saucer top of turbo actuator arm.

pic 6 = Turbo top and actuator arm.

post-129458-0-13765900-1366296854_thumb.

post-129458-0-89803700-1366297084_thumb.

post-129458-0-57914200-1366297137_thumb.

post-129458-0-96735300-1366297204_thumb.

post-129458-0-07538600-1366297266_thumb.

post-129458-0-42176200-1366297306_thumb.

• Like 1

Just disconnect the two pipes from the brown valve and join them with a bit of plastic tubing or find a longer piece of rubber pipe and take the valve right out of the circuit.

You might end up with SCV's or even a turbo.

Use that spare eye if yours don't work.

Sorry Don, never used my EYE, never seen your reply. Thanks again. Will try now and get back on here when i have results.

ps, Is there only you on here solving everyone's problems. Thank god for people like you!

Dearest Anhorman, please don't shout but I have one, approx 12 inch piece of vacuum tube from near engine block to brown VSV valve. and another piece that is 1 Inch that goes from top of VSV to underneath the turbo sensor.

So I am to by-pass VSV valve by joining these Two together or using One longer to by-pass?

so, the 12 inch one goes to directly under the turbo pressure sensor? Therefore cutting out the VSV?

Thanks for your patience.

Not sure if it helps but here is the parts diagram for the VSV

25860 is the VSV, 25819 is the VRV

664483309_o.jpg

Yes correct - by pass it all together and see how it runs. Kingo, thanks for the visual aid!!!