Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Makeing People Ill

cooper12000

hi all a bit of a silly question for u all.... i seem to remember when i did some work experience in a garage they had a poster about how if u didnt look after ur air con it could make u ill....with flu like symptoms. i only remember seeing it at this one garage and cant remember what exactly it said and cant go back to look as i have moved away but have a fealing it was somthing about changing filters,

the reason i ask is everyone that has gone in my car since i have had it for an extended duration (more than 2 mins down to the shops etc) has complained of a sore throat and cold. i know this sounds melowdramatic but if there is a filter i doubt it has been changed since the car was new as the pollen filter was black and had a dead mouse in it.

any advice would be appreciated

coop

As far as I know there's only the pollen filter. However mould etc can grow around the system due to extreme and quick temp changes, which can become evident as a horrible smell in the car. You can get stuff to clear this out in an aerosol which acts a bit like a bomb - you set it off in the car with the air con on and the heater on recirculate and leave for a while. Apparently you can't be in the car while it's happening cos it's so potent. I've not used it personally but I've heard it's very effective.

The previous reply is correct. Moisture is taken from inside the vehicle and is deposited on the evaporator behind the dash. The problem occurs when the aircon is turned off when people are in the car and bacteria grow. If you can get it sorted with the treatment advised it would then be better to leave the aircon on at all times. It not only cools the air when necessary but controls the humidity in the car.

Fitter

thanks for the replys i shall look into getting the treatment

coop

Silly question but does leaving the aircon on consume extra fuel?

Mo

Mo

Yes.

Mo

It does but so does driving round with the sunroof open or windows down, so it's swings and roundabouts!

Pollen filters should never be cleaned out (as in blown out with an airline) they should be replaced, blowing them out releases all the micro particles the filter trapped in the first place and should be avoided

The sanitising part of an A/C full service is very important as this kills off the bacteria that sits around on the evaporator and in the air ducting

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Kingo

Either you or Toyota have got it wrong about cleaning the aircon filter.

See schedule in Auris service & warranty handbook in intermediate service section page 20, it states on Auris (only) C (cleaning)

In the handbook page 292 it shows you how to blow the filter out with an air gun.At least in my books anyway (2007)

Sorry to contradict you.

Cant understand why using an air line to clean the Auris filter is ok but not so for other models as the elements are much the same.

Mo

I've not had a car yet that it made any real difference to. As a previous poster said there's lots of things which will increase fuel economy. Ie anything which puts a strain on the engine. So as the engine has to drive the A/C compressor then yes, in theory it will use more fuel. So will having the rear demister and the heater fan on, or even your headlights to a lesser extent.

Why not try a fill up and see how many miles you get with or without A/C on, driving like for like.

I don't notice a difference when I use the aircon or not. To be honest there are so many variables involved (such as whether you hit the traffic lights or not, is the traffic flowing or stop/start, did you get stuck in a queue etc etc) you may as well just use it when you want to.

i dont notice a difference in fuel consumption or performance if ac is used or not.

but ive had ample engine sizes with enough bhp and torque for it not to be much of a burden too.

it would prob be more noticable on a 1.2 or the like

Hi Kingo

Either you or Toyota have got it wrong about cleaning the aircon filter.

See schedule in Auris service & warranty handbook in intermediate service section page 20, it states on Auris (only) C (cleaning)

In the handbook page 292 it shows you how to blow the filter out with an air gun.At least in my books anyway (2007)

Sorry to contradict you.

Cant understand why using an air line to clean the Auris filter is ok but not so for other models as the elements are much the same.

As far as I'm concerned it is Toyota who have it wrong. It has long been established that particulates cause breathing problems for all sorts people, why would you trap microscopic particulates in the pollen filter only to blow them out under pressure right under your nose?

This is no crusade by me by the way, it has long been recognised in the motor trade that blowing out pollen filters should be avoided, Toyota even issued advice on it themselves several years ago (although typicaly, I can't find it just now) The price of most filters are very affordable

This cleaning method is also described in the owners handbook of my 2012 Auris - quote:

"If the filter is dirty, clean by blowing compressed air through the filter from the downward side. Hold the air gun 5cm from the filter and blow for approximately 2 minutes at 500kPa."

I wonder how many Toyota dealers do blow out the filter as part of the service.

No one seems to know why it seems to be ok on the Auris only, when the filter seems other than shape and size the same material etc as in other models.

Strange.

I wonder how many Toyota dealers do blow out the filter as part of the service.

No one seems to know why it seems to be ok on the Auris only, when the filter seems other than shape and size the same material etc as in other models.

Strange.

None with a bit of luck, they should be replacing them ;)

The clean is only required on the intermediate service on the Auris as already stated,you say it should be changed not cleaned.

So you are suggesting this filter should be changed at every service on the Auris but not on other models on their intermediate services because its not mentioned at all in that servicing schedule.

For some who do low annual miliage this would be a needless extra expense.

I am suggesting you do not BLOW it out with air pressure. No harm in tapping out the leaves and heavy debris.

These filters are electrostatically charged to draw in minute particulates, it should be changed as per the service schedule OR when it is filthy black and not blown out