Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Feels Like It Is About To Stall In First?

TonyAYGO

Hi there, it's been years since I've been on here! Owned my Aygo from new on a 58 reg, currently on 45,000 miles and I think I may have encountered my first problem:

When I set off in first gear, and lift the clutch up, the car judders just as if I am not putting enough gas on and it is about to stall. It never actually stalls, but sometimes it judders quite violently.

This also doesn't happen every time. Sometimes its fine, but most the time it does it :(

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)

How is the clutch, does it slip and is it just in first gear ?

Clutch wearing out or bad quality fuel lacking in power?

The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, and I always use either Shell petrol or asda's. Was considering trying filling it up with some of that Shell vpower which I heard helps clean the engine(?)

I must say I am more used to older cars and I own a 76 Commer van...I have had the gearbox in and out loads of times and in my experience if you are suffering 'clutch judder' it means one of two things...either your clutch is very worn ....or.....the clutch is not aligned correctly...... ;-)

I had exactly the same symptons for the last month or so. Research pointed to clutch needing tightened.

Tightened up the clutch cable in a 5 minute job to reduce the play in the pedal to circa 20mm. Problem solved. Car pulls away as normal again. If you have not already done so, I suggest you try and adjust it as it costs nothing and will at least rule this out.

My car is 2.5 years old with only 6500 gentle miles on the clock so perhaps my cable had stretched a little rather than the clutch being worn. Who knows. Be prepared to loose a little skin on your forearm when reaching in............

Try here http://www.c1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=560&p=61817&hilit=Clutch+pedal+adjustment#p61817

When I owned my 03 Corolla (bought with 33k miles) it had clutch judder from early on- it was worst when cold. It was very irritating particularly on hill starts but I lived with it and never bothered getting it sorted, I think over time it actually became less of a problem or perhaps I just got used to it and stopped noticing it. My friend bought the car off me and he has just had the clutch replaced at 67k miles. Probably a bit early but the car did a lot of town driving and the clutch had got very heavy and difficult to operate smoothly.

Clutches are a pain, particularly when they develop faults earlier than expected. I've had several cars that have developed clutch problems prematurely, generally not long after I've bought them meaning they've probably been abused by the previous owner.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links