Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xtr Alloy Wheels.

exmedman

MY 2006 XTR Rav 4 is suffering from alloy wheel distress---getting worse by the day. This is the only thing I have had wrong with this superb car. My question---how much will it cost me to replace the wheels? Will the new wheels last any longer.

By distress --- I mean surface bubbling (is that the right description?)

Gerry.

New Toyota wheels will be VERY expensive!

Bubbling wheels are pretty standard for RAV4 wheels and they should be fixable at a much lower cost then new replacements - you should be able to find someone to do a PROPER refurb for under £300 including the VAT - and chances are would then outlast new ones anyway :thumbsup:

Or buy the wans in the For Sale section, being sold by the wan and onleeeeeee.....Hoovie.........nice refurb David.

Thanks guys. Why are they degrading so quickly? I told the toyota garage that I thought the wheels should last longer than 29,000 miles. Their reply was that it wasn't mileage --- but time that was the problem.

My wheels started to bubble at three years? Strange answer they gave, because my spare wheel has never been used in seven years and the alloy wheel is just as new.

So what is the truth?

Gerry.

Have you thought about having your old ones "powder coated" ?

We had a set of alloy wheels done a little while ago..

Still looking good, even with all the adverse conditions they are subjected too..

I h

Thanks guys. Why are they degrading so quickly? I told the toyota garage that I thought the wheels should last longer than 29,000 miles. Their reply was that it wasn't mileage --- but time that was the problem.

My wheels started to bubble at three years? Strange answer they gave, because my spare wheel has never been used in seven years and the alloy wheel is just as new.

So what is the truth?

Gerry.[/quo

I have recently had mine powdercoaded, it's the best way to go and at £55.00 a wheel better than a new set. Also had two sets of wheels now on my lexus rx400 h under warranty and will be getting these done this summer as standard toyota/lexus wheels just can't handle our winter roads and I used to wash my lexus wheels weekly. Powder coating will last the life of the car no problem.

I h

So what is the truth?

Gerry.[/quo

I have recently had mine powdercoaded, it's the best way to go and at £55.00 a wheel better than a new set. Also had two sets of wheels now on my lexus rx400 h under warranty and will be getting these done this summer as standard toyota/lexus wheels just can't handle our winter roads and I used to wash my lexus wheels weekly. Powder coating will last the life of the car no problem.

......as will proper painting and topcoat, Phil.....they just seemed to presume everybody in the world got good weather, and painted the alloys accordingly....very poorly. Had two under warrany on my previous SR180.

Big Kev.

Yes mate agreed. Lexus replaced one set with refurbed wheels which only lasted 12 months before these started to corrode, all depens how they are refurbed and by who, but have had a few sets on various toyota's and lexus powder coated and they seem to last well. Can't believe toyota/lexus can't get this sorted, I had and old nissan terrano van which I bought off a mate who used it for work 160,000 miles he never cleaned it or looked after it and the wheels were still like new once washed !

Power-coating obsession! There is a treatment for that I'm sure ;)

Japanese wheels are renowned for poor protection against the British roads and what they throw up at you. I had all 4 wheels on my RAV4.2 replaced under warranty just before it was 3 years old - and I could have had them done at 2.5 years in fact (but waited to maximise the benefit).

Most (maybe all?) Japanese car makers have a full 3 year warranty for corrosion and will replace with new (you may have to give them a push to make sure they are new) - the European makers will not do so past 1 year and only refurbish.

Out of interest re the power coating side and it 'will last the lifetime of the vehicle' .... I have just come home after doing a refurbish on a full set of 20" Porsche Cayenne S wheels ... Some of the work was needed due to kerbing, but a lot of the refurbish need was due to a previous refurbish by a power-coating company who had not prepared the surface correctly and had a peeling top coat in random areas on all 4 wheels.

Now looking good :)

I used the same repair method (Repair - UV Primer - Paint - UV Clearcoat) as the Porsche on my own RAV4.3 Winter Wheels which are the 18" Diamond-cut T180 wheels and were showing corrosion due to water getting under the lacquer - did these last November and are showing NO problems and don't need anything more then water to get back sparkling :thumbsup:

Again agree with you, it does depen on who you get to do the refurb, I use a local company to me who have done five sets for me now and have all lasted the time. But as you say if curbed or can chip they will start to corrode again.

Check with your Toyota dealer as Toyota offer refurbished wheels via a company called "Pristene wheels" they cover most but not all of the wheel options and prices start from £70.00 / wheel + vat

Check with your Toyota dealer as Toyota offer refurbished wheels via a company called "Pristene wheels" they cover most but not all of the wheel options and prices start from £70.00 / wheel + vat

Do you mean they will refurbish YOUR wheels from £70 a wheel, or they actually sell a Refurbished wheel for £70 a wheel? (Or is it a PX- wheel service?)

Your dealer will order the wheels from Pristene then send your old ones back for refurbishment

Don't know prices as they do vary depending on wheel type and finish i.e paint colours, polishes or multi finishes, ask your dealer and they can confirm a price. The best bit about Pristene is their finish is spot on to factory so you can replace just one wheel and it will a perfect match.

Don't know prices as they do vary depending on wheel type and finish i.e paint colours, polishes or multi finishes, ask your dealer and they can confirm a price. The best bit about Pristene is their finish is spot on to factory so you can replace just one wheel and it will a perfect match.

Well.....never heard of it at Arnie's dealership up here, Devz.....will tell a neighbour whose Yaris alloys obviously holidayed at Sellafield.

Would be interesting to compare price through dealer and price direct. Pristene do free carriage too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links