Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Me Get My Damn Stereo Out :(

belinda

:crybaby: Hi all I have a N.Z New 1992 Corolla XL with a Alpine T7179 EZ head unit. I am trying to remove this but can"t seem to find out how do I just lever it out with a couple of flat screwdrivers or is there a proper procedure that does not involve my toyota dealer and the exchange of heaps of cash in their direction.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Belinda

Not knowing much about your specific car/set-up - but you will probably need to get into the area by removing the centre console. I needed to do this on my 1995 MR2 and 1990 corolla.

Start by removing the gator around the gear stick and then work your way back up to the centre console removing all the screws/bolts, dials and switches as you go (remember where everything goes). Carefully pry the console panels off (carefull there may be a couple of screws hidden under the steering colum!) and your stereo brackets will be exposed. Remove/replace head unit as necessary. Just reverse what you have done to get it back together again :thumbsup:

HTH

:censor: I was hoping it would be easier than that but thems the breaks. The toyota people told me the same on enquiries today. Thanks for your help.

It sounds worse than it actually is - just remember where the bits go (or write them down...) Not difficult at all :thumbsup:

On the other hand, if you mess it up you could always fly me out to NZ - I have never been and would love to go :P :lol:

Mate,

Im guessing you have already done this, but in my corolla you dont need to remove the gearshifter or anything. Just take out the ash tray and start from there, theres only about 10 screws total!

Panzer

You're right dude :!Removed!:

Access on my corolla starts at the ashtray too, but my MR2 had to be started at the gear stick. Either way, it just needs to be looked at to see where to begin to get access to the centre console.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links