Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo

rambler

As above....

In last few days,ive noticed i can actually now hear my turbo " spin up " very audibly.

As i accelerate ,from about 2'500 revs i can hear it " whistle " when i floor it.

And the more it pulls , the more it " whistles ".

Happens all times when i accelerate ,in all gears, engine hot or cold.

Ive got no smoke issues....it still pulls just fine...and strongly.

I also hear quite a hiss when it spins up,as if there is an " air leak "....could that be what i'm hearing ?

Question is......should i be able to hear it....easily ?

You can hear them more in cold weather Rambs.

I've had this once, a long time ago, on our '03 D4D. One of the large hose clips on the air duct from the turbo (to and through intercooler) had worked loose, and was blowing/whistling. Check all the clips for a start.

Also quickly check the air cleaner - element and lid in place and OK ?

Chris

I've had this once, a long time ago, on our '03 D4D. One of the large hose clips on the air duct from the turbo (to and through intercooler) had worked loose, and was blowing/whistling. Check all the clips for a start.

Also quickly check the air cleaner - element and lid in place and OK ?

Chris

Have had a quick check of all the hoses i can see ,and checked the air cleaner etc etc....all ok ( as far as i can make out )....bizzare thing is.........

It is actually the same rasping noise,that i thought could have been a heat shield recently,i think........it is...air escaping under pressure,.......from somewhere.

This hissy rasping noise....matches the engines revving and sounds worse when the turbo cuts in......but now doing it .....every time i take it past 2000 ish revs...

Could the turbo be on its way out ?...as i mentioned there's no smoke,and it pulls ok....it just hisses quite badly when it pulls.

Can you get someone to rev it whilst you have a gander under the bonnet Rambs? Might be able to narrow down where the hissing is coming from. Have you considered an exhaust leak?

Exhaust leak or catalyser innards collapsed and partially blocking outward pressure was my guess.....?

Can you get someone to rev it whilst you have a gander under the bonnet Rambs? Might be able to narrow down where the hissing is coming from. Have you considered an exhaust leak?

Exhaust leak or catalyser innards collapsed and partially blocking outward pressure was my guess.....?

I could ask my mother.....as i live with her ( bless her ).

Can you smoke test the system ?

In plumbing we sometimes smoke test drainage to see if there are any leaks...same principal ?

I can get some smoke pellets and put one of them in the air filter housing ( enough smoke to fill a household garage ...easily ).....or maybe even a smoke match ?..we use both these on flues...to check the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the symptoms if my turbo was going wrong please ?

They usually smoke quite badly or lose power. It is probably leaking round one of the gaskets Rambs. They leak a bit then burn away.