Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Icon Vs Auris Hybrid T3

Terry953

I prepared this report as a thread on another topic but decided that it may interest a wider audience so have made it a topic in its own right. In hope it is of some interest.

I had a Gen1 Auris T3 Hybrid for around two and a half years before aquiring a new Icon Hybrid in January so this is a sort of comparison exercise.

Overall the Icon is a much better car than my previous AurisT3 and despite my diatribe below I am very pleased with it and glad I upgraded for the following reasons.

PLUS reasons :--

Steering – Lighter, more responsive and better feedback.

Brakes – Better progressive feel and consistant feedback. Hand brake has lighter operation and comes more naturally to hand.

Engine – Quieter, re-programming on the Engine Management software is obvious once you drive it.

Ride/Suspension/Tyres – Softer – Quieter – Comfier feel - Less road noise. 15” wheels with higher profile tyres must help this but also

provide better protection to the wheel rim edges. I kerb scuffed all my wheels on the T3.

Body – The bigger boot – Sleeker look – Improved rear seat back retainer catches – Seats [front] more supportive.

The reversing camera is good once you get the hang of it.

Removal of those front quarterlights improves forward view.

Overall driving experience a noticeable improvement.

MINUS points :--

1. Door mirrors no longer electrically retractable only manual. [This is a feature I used extensively in my communal car park.]

2. The introduction of the 'Touch Screen' for Audio/Phones/Settings etc-etc is an abomination. It's like having a Windows 8 Tablet
screwed to the dash, with some repeated buttons on the steering wheel. Good fun for the passenger but lethal for the driver.

To give you some idea of the complexity of the thing it has it's own manual that runs to 116 pages, and 108 if you have a sat-nav!!!

3. I wanted front parking sensors [because of my crowded car park] but had to get the whole 'Intelligent Pask Assist' package. [Haven't
tried that yet !!]

4. The new dash is a bit of a disaster, looks sort of cobbled to-gether late on Friday afternoon, not as logical as the T3 for me. However

the face vents are better.

5. No spare wheel [just a repair kit]

Minor 'in-cab' moans :--

1. The clock is in front of the passenger !!

2. The heater controls are minute and below the Windows 8 Tablet thingy so are very hard to see and read, you do learn to remember the position of them and you get a read out on the Tablet thingy for a couple of seconds after making an adjustment if you happen to look that way.

3. The parking sensor switches are hidden below the steering wheel

4. Less storage space in the cab, only one glove compartment – smaller door pockets – centre console smaller.

5. [Transmission] Shift Lever has been reversed. It was ergomonomically incorrect anyway on the T3 i.e., Push lever forward 'R' to go BACK and Pull lever backwards 'D' to go FORWARDS. Now they've changed it so the N [Neutral] defaults to Left instead of the Right for whatever reason, and left the D and R positions the same ??

6. Multiple changes to the dash information and warnings, temperature gauge gone, but we have an analogue fuel gauge, needs complete

relearn.

MINOR 'in cab' Plus Points.

1. FM - AM - and DAB radio – MPG play from a memory Stick.

2. Useful new lane change indicator feature, move the stalk to the first position and release it and it does three flashes and self cancels.

3. Improved simpler rear window wiper/washer switching.

4. Heater has a 3 fan speed selector that does't interfere with the Auto setting.

5. Green 'Economy' light gone and replaced with an 'EVO” light when driving on Battery power alone.

6. Hybrid Indicator System needle glows red when the Power zone is entered.

Personally I would like to see more of the present standard equipment offered as accessories or extras.

For example I would opt out of the 'Touch Screen' - 'Intelligent Park Assist' - and go for a 'Spare Wheel' - 'Electric parking mirrors'

Don't be put off by this report however as it is in the main subjective and I'm still Very Happy.

Cheers TerryB :flowers:

Great review! You're obviously well pleased.

Interested in the engine management changes you describe. Can you elaborate?

This maybe of use/interest to you

Thanks 'Devon Aygo'

Have studied files and fail to grasp the signifagance - please elucidate their relevance to my post.

Hey! your the guy with the insider spare wheel info. I believe - please keep us updated.

TerryB

Great review! You're obviously well pleased.

Interested in the engine management changes you describe. Can you elaborate?

Not really - Obviously don't know in detail what mods have been done to the Mechanicals or the Electronics but the response to the throttle pedal [on or off] seems crisper and the EVO indication seems more active and sensitive than before, this is indicated by the 'Current MPG' bar chart 'thingy'.

However I must remind you that this has not so far been corroborated by my latest mathematical MPG results = 48mpg !! Cr.p in my HSD book - as apposed to an onboard MPG of 56 - but it's only done around 700 miles so far so early days - to be continued.

TerryB

Sorry, you said you wanted front parking sensors they are available as an accessory fit item but I now realise you add IPA instead.

Re spare: a 17" space saver can be fitted into the current wheel well without affecting the height of the lower boot floor at present you have to order:

17" steel space saver

5 x steel wheel nuts

125 70 17 space saver tyre

1 x retaining bolt

1 x tool carrier

I have supplied a couple of the above and it all costs approx £169. You can fit a full size wheel but have to buy a kit which raises the lower floor high enough to fit but it makes the upper deck pointless as the lower floor is only a couple inches lower

Toyota recently announced that they are in progress of making accessory kits available for cars without spare wheels excl IQ these kits should be available in June these can be ordered as an option when buying or purchased at any time later.

Why would someone with an Icon Hybrid with 15" wheels (or a non-Hybrid Icon with 16" wheels?) want a 17" space saver spare?

Why would someone with an Icon Hybrid with 15" wheels (or a non-Hybrid Icon with 16" wheels?) want a 17" space saver spare?

The diameter of the wheel really doesnt matter so long as the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre is roughly the same.

Sorry, you said you wanted front parking sensors they are available as an accessory fit item but I now realise you add IPA instead.

Toyota recently announced that they are in progress of making accessory kits available for cars without spare wheels excl IQ these kits should be available in June these can be ordered as an option when buying or purchased at any time later.

Again many thanks Devon Aygo.

I did price the front sensors when ordering and they came out at £200. The IPA system was only an extra £100 odd so went for that for laughs. Well when you car costs nearly 20 Grand to odd £100 to keep up to date is peanuts. Haven't actually tried it out yet - come to that I haven't even looked under the bonnet yet - to B cold to go delving onto that lot.

Re the spare wheel, I have actually got the part numbers to buy the bits you suggest, but am hanging on until the official kit is available then I can compare. I will be quite happy with a space saver so I don't anticipate any loss of boot space.

Another Forum Member gave me all then gen as he has done it but he hasn't got a Hybrid, bit concerned as to the boot space as in the manual they describe about 6 different configurations for spare wheel/repair kits. Hopefully the body Shell is the same on all and the differences are only in the polystyrene compartmented filler.

One query though I noted 'wheel nuts' in your list of bits - my forum contact didn't mention those - are they different for the steel space saver wheel?

Cheers TerryB

The diameter of the wheel really doesnt matter so long as the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre is roughly the same.

What I was thinking of was, if for example I had downgraded to a lower specification model of Auris, specifically because I wanted the 15" wheels (I don't like 17" wheels) then I personally wouldn't be in the market for a 17" spare wheel.

On the Gen 2 Prius, the traction control can have problems with a space saver tyre, therefore I am not too convinced with roughly the same size, hopefully the traction control is better able to cope on the later models such as the Auris Hybrid, but having different tyres on the same axle is in practice a bad idea and hence space savers are a bad compromise when it comes to my safety.

• Like 1

, but having different tyres on the same axle is in practice a bad idea and hence space savers are a bad compromise when it comes to my safety.

I agree with this entirely. The sooner this country outlaws the unsafe use of road side DIY puncture repair outfits and space saver tyres which the industry itself acknowledges are less safe ( hence the low speed limits advised) the better.

Devon Aygo, just by chance could you guide me to TPA for Auris M1 hybrid front and rear?

Devon Aygo, just by chance could you guide me to TPA for Auris M1 hybrid front and rear

Try here :http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=3 it is Toyota's online accessory area

• 3 weeks later...

How's the MPG going now Terry?

Haven't done much mileage of late so stats are not much different.

If you want to keep tabs go to my Fuelly page = http://www.fuelly.com/driver/terrymb/icon

I'm sure when I get out and about more in the warmer weather things will improve as they did on my MkI HSD.

All the indications are looking good on my onboard displays [58.4 on present tankful so far] but Pinches of Salt are required at this stage.

Cheers TerryB

Thanks Terry - I'll keep an eye on that in the run-up to getting my car :D

If you want to keep tabs go to my Fuelly page = http://www.fuelly.com/driver/terrymb/icon

I'm sure when I get out and about more in the warmer weather things will improve as they did on my MkI HSD.

All the indications are looking good on my onboard displays [58.4 on present tankful so far] but Pinches of Salt are required at this stage.

Cheers TerryB

TerryB, I see on your fuelly page you've used Sains & Tesco fuel, I've not used Tesco's, but in my experience Sainsbury's fuel is the worst for mpg. I find Shell fuelsave (their standard unleaded) is the best and it's no more expensive than the supermarket fuel.

P.s. My low average mpg is due to my 3 mile commute to work.

• Like 1

Cheers TerryB

TerryB, I see on your fuelly page you've used Sains & Tesco fuel, I've not used Tesco's, but in my experience Sainsbury's fuel is the worst for mpg. I find Shell fuelsave (their standard unleaded) is the best and it's no more expensive than the supermarket fuel.

P.s. My low average mpg is due to my 3 mile commute to work.

FWIW, I find Shell fuelsave best too

Fuel quality comparisons are rather old hat and a rather subjective and unsubstantiated subject - been going on for years.

I get my fuel from the last source to give me a discount whatever.

Yes I've used Tesco - Sainsbury - Morrisons - Asda [when I don't have a voucher as they are the cheapest in town anyway].

I have even used Shell with vouchers from Waitrose, BP and Esso with discount offers.

My challenge at the end of the day is, study my Auris MkI HSD consumption data over the 28 months of use and then tell me what fuel I used based on the consumption figures.

Result = you won't be able to because the fuel source is immaterial.

For hybrids the important factors are ambient temperature, journey topography, driving techniques, and tyre pressures, and forget about playing with the three "performance" buttons they are a complete waste of space.

But this is a society of freedom of choice, so if you convince yourself that divesting yourself of extra dosh gives you added benefits then that is your choice, far be it for me to deny that to anyone.

Cheers TerryB

• Like 1

Do you not remember the supermarket fuel quality scandal in 2007 when the additives (too much silicon) caused damage to Lambda Sensors in Petrol cars. This petrol was from a source that supplies Morrisons, Asda & Tescos. I've not touched supermarket fuel since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_petrol_contamination

Do you not remember the supermarket fuel quality scandal in 2007 when the additives (too much silicon) caused damage to Lambda Sensors in Petrol cars. This petrol was from a source that supplies Morrisons, Asda & Tescos. I've not touched supermarket fuel since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_petrol_contamination

Yes and it hasn't happened since that I know of [6 years ago, a mega one off] despite all the extra cash you've spent on quality fuel ?? since then trying to avoid a repetition.

Still like I say the choice is yours, but hey! have you noticed any discernible performance improvements since 2007 ?

despite all the extra cash you've spent on quality fuel ?? since then trying to avoid a repetition.

But the point is, I haven't spent extra cash, I pay the same for Shell quality fuel as you do for supermarket fuel

but hey! have you noticed any discernible performance improvements since 2007 ?

In what ?