Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2,0 Sr Tyres +Brakes

Auris Girl 08

Hi All

Please can you tell me what sort of mid range tyres i should be looking for my car. I can see previously the front 2 have be replaced with Dunlops, but when i look at the fwik fit website there are so many different types of dunlop tyres.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
Tyre Size
225/45Y17
Dunlop SP Sport 01
Tyre Size
225/45Z17
Dunlop SP Fastresponse
Tyre Size
225/45W17
Dunlop SP Sport 01A
Tyre Size
225/45W17
So which ones do i look at. The original ones are Michelin, but I dont think i do the driving to require such a high spec tyre.
Or what othe tyre does anyone recommend.
Also, do people think it matters if the original Bosch brake pads are replaced with a lower spec pad, as kwik fit are offereing life time warranty for the time you own the car. Seen as its lifetime warranty it should really matter as they replace them for free?? They got 25% discount at the moment and it works out that having my pads and discs to replaced is £100 cheaper than the manufacturer.

I thought Toyota tended to fit Dunlop or Continental tyres to the Auris - my current and previous Auris were fitted with Continental tyres.

In the last Which? test on tyres of this size, the Best Buys in descending order were: 1) Continental ContiSportContact5; Goodyear Eagle Asymetric 2; 3)Pirelli Cinturato P7; 4) Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.

Not sure whether the OE brake pads are Bosch - albeit labelled Toyota.

Blackcircles have got Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39's for £88.32 fitted, or Falken Ziex ZE-914's for £92.65 fitted.

I went to kwik fit today and asked to see the condition of my brake pads and saw for my self they were Bosch pads, then labelled Toyota as well, which meant to me that they were the original pads.

Looking through my previous owners service papers,i can see the front 2 tyres replaced with dunlop ones by toyota, which mean the back ones are still the original ones, which are the Michelin ones. Ill probably get dunlop ones and then have the front ones put to the back and new ones at the front.

What are Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39's and Falken Ziex ZE-914's? I have never come across these before.

I know its a funny question, but how good are they?

You should always have better tyres at the rear when it comes to FWD car. I suggest using GoodYear Asymmetric tyres as I use them myself and find them to be very good. They bite dry and wet road very well and have received great reviews aswell.

Kumho are Korean and supply manufacturers such as Hyundai and Kia. Also supply tyres for the VW Polo.

Falken are Japanese and owned by Sumitomo - who also own the Dunlop brand. In the late 90's Sumitomo and Goodyear formed a joint venture to manufacture each other's tyres - in Europe Goodyear are responsible for tyre manufacture under the joint venture.

Current tyre industry best practice is to fit new tyres to the rear and move the used rear tyres to the front - regardless of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.

If the current rear tyres are the original fitment, they are around 5-6 years old, so ask whoever you get to fit your new tyres, to check these Michelins for signs of ageing (may need replacing as well).

It is the michelin ones I am looking to replace, they have worn out right down to the bar. The Front ones have been replaced with Dunlop SP 01's . Looking at various websites, the dunlop tyre does not appear to be very fuel efficient..... its been given and "E", whereas as Goodyear, Kumho and Falken have been graded "C"

Speed chaser , How much are the goodyear asymetric, Kwik fit to the Eagle F1 (2) for £111.

Toyota have quoted me Michelin for £98 a tyre, now i am unsure as to if this a low spec tyre in the Michelin range, or if toyota have quoted like for like.

Also how will my fuel efficiency be if my front tyres are dunlop and rear tyres are another brand? Is it not best to have all 4 the same?

Don't know about the prices as I'm not from the UK. The fuel economy is related to your tyres, yes, but not dependant on if they're same or different on front/rear axle. If you have different front/rear tyres but they're all fuel efficient, you'll be fine. Different tyres on front and rear can cause worse handling compared to if you have a set of four identical tyres...

I work at kwik fit and would recommend the falkens if you just want a mid range tyre. My personal choice are continentals as they grip well and arnt badly priced.

my 2008 sr was factory fitted with dunlop sp sport, so i would have thought your original tyres would have been the same ?

Also, do people think it matters if the original Bosch brake pads are replaced with a lower spec pad, as kwik fit are offereing life time warranty for the time you own the car. Seen as its lifetime warranty it should really matter as they replace them for free?? They got 25% discount at the moment and it works out that having my pads and discs to replaced is £100 cheaper than the manufacturer.

This only applies to use on the current set of discs. if the discs need replacing then there goes your lifetime warranty

With tyres fit the best you can afford, they are the thing which keep you on the road. budgets are budgets for a reason

Alex

Thats Interesting Alex, coz when i say to Kwik fit, what are your T&Cs for this offer or in which circumstances will the lifetime warranty not apply, they said none, if for any reason your brake pads need replacing, we will replace them for free. But i cant help thinking its too good to be true. Im only getting them fitted from them coz its a whole lot cheaper than manufacture price.

Maybe Mad Midge can comment??

How much have you been quoted by kiwk fit for your brakes?

Alex

Under the Toyota Fixed Price Repair scheme front brake pads are £95 fitted and rear brake pads £90 fitted.

There is a lifetime warranty on the pads. If your discs wear out then you would pay for them but not the pads as there still free

The parts used are oe quality.

On the tyre issue - in an ideal world, yes we'd all be driving around on 4 matching legal tyres. But we all know that for different reasons, it rarely happens that way. Personally I've been using Uniroyal Rainsport in the Summer & Kleber Quadraxxer in the Winter. But when one of the tyres was damaged by a pothole, I had to use the Klebers on the front & Uni's on the rear for a while. The car behaved just fine until I could afford a matching new tyre.

Uniroyals can be had from Camsport for about £80. Good in the wet & dry, but will probably try GoodYear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's next on Speed Chaser & Which magazine's advice.

ive heard from a few people that have taken up the kwik fit lifetime free brake pad replacement that every time the pads needed replacing kwik fit insisted that the discs were worn and needed replacing as well, and if they wouldnt agree to pay for the new discs every time then kwik fit wouldnt replace the pads, and each time they got a second opinion and were told the discs were fine

With the 25% off I have been quoted £247 for the discs and the pads. I think the discs were about £180 odd and the the pads for about £60 odd.

i dont know how much they charge now , but a year ago a main toyota dealer did my rear discs and pads for £215

Toyota's Fixed Price Repair scheme has front pads and discs fitted for £ 225, and rear pads and discs for £ 215

Ouch - that's a lot ! You can buy Mtec rear discs with Bosch pads for £85 & if you have a decent local garage have them fitted for 1.5 hrs labour (inc VAT). In my case that would be £170. A saving of circa £45 :)

Im not sure if there is a difference in price for front and rear pads, but i am looking to replace the FRONT discs and pads only.

Frostyballs, how do i go about having these pads and discs put in under Fixed price service? To be honest, im not really satisfied with the service by my local Toyota gargage. They dont really speak to me about my car and how the service went. I had to find out from the service report that my brakes and rear tyres needed replacing. Or is this standard??