Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nav Unit To Display Video

Rabbijon

Hey. Has anyone ever managed to get the nav unit to display video from say a phone etc. Came across a media project post on here but the chap authoring it doesnt seem to be around.

I like to tinker about with wee projects.

Plan is to try and display some sort of video feed on the nav unit by making it think its the image from a reversing camera. I know its possible to short some pins at the back of the nav unit to have it always display the video feed, just wondering if anyone has any pointers.

Video would come from a mobile phone with the yellow cable from an rca cable I would assume.

Hey. Has anyone ever managed to get the nav unit to display video from say a phone etc. Came across a media project post on here but the chap authoring it doesnt seem to be around.

I like to tinker about with wee projects.

Plan is to try and display some sort of video feed on the nav unit by making it think its the image from a reversing camera. I know its possible to short some pins at the back of the nav unit to have it always display the video feed, just wondering if anyone has any pointers.

Video would come from a mobile phone with the yellow cable from an rca cable I would assume.

It is doable but something to consider is that you will be stick with the lines and warning message you get when you are in reverse.

Also, it may be an interesting concept to play around with but in reality how often would you expect to use the feature? I fitted a replacement head unit in my RAV4 which had the ability to play DVDs and the screen quality was very good.... In about 3 years I maybe used the feature once for around 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Some fantastic info from that thread. Thank you very much. Managed to get things working the way I want for my setup displaying my phone screen but the problem is it will only work in reverse gear. I'm aware that you need to intercept the REV signal at the head unit and basically have it fooled into thinking its in reverse using a switch and a Battery or something similar.

Had a look around multiple threads but I can't find anything on how to fool the b9004 head unit into thinking its in reverse. Any ideas.

5 pin grey connector, red wire is the reverse signal input, if I remember correctly. intercept and switch to 12V.

Hey schm. Thanks very much for the reply. Very much appreciated. Yeah the grey connector with the red wire is correct. Its the last part you mention that i need help with. What would I need to do in order to incercept it and switch it to 12V?

I tried using an extra wire from another pin and i managed to get the camera to come on without being in reverse gear but the reverse lights would come on unfortunately. Im assuming that means im doing something wrong.

Yeah, I was going to draw you a picture, but I haven't got around to it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :disgust:

In words:

If you want to keep the facility of the video display coming up when you select reverse, then you want a change-over switch.

Cut the reverse signal to the headunit.

The switch common goes to the dangling wire on the head unit (sat nav) connector.

Connect the other end of the wire you just cut to one of the other switch terminals.

Wire 12V to the remaining switch terminal.

WIth the switch in one position it will act as normal, i.e. video up only in reverse. In the other position, you'll get video on all the time. A change-over switch with a centre off position will add a third function of stop all video.

If you never want the video on in reverse, you just need an ordinary make/break switch. Cut the wire as before. wire one side of the switch to the headunit connector dangling wire and the other to 12V.

Just connecting in 12V to the existing wiring/input pin, as you describe, effectively enables the "in reverse" signal. It puts 12V onto it. That's why I suspect your reversing light are up. They are one and the same signal. You have to isolate the signal to the rest of the vehicle with the switch.

Wiring the input permanently to 12V will make satnav operation tricky. Why I suggest the switch.

You see a picture is easier, just takes a little time!

Haha. The diagram does sound better. Again, thank you very much. Appreciate your time and effort. Prob be the weekend before I'll get time to look at it again.

And one final question. Where is best to take 12V from. Any exact pin recommended?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, anyone have an idea which pin is best to pull 12V from at the back of the nav unit at all when aiming to trick the nav display unit into displaying video thinking its in reverse. I blew the nav unit fuse today trying out one of the pins.