Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

B9004 Upgrade To B9017

straker88

Hello there,

My first post. Forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere. I have searched the forum (which has some wonderful information btw) but not found exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a late 2006 RAV4 XT5 with a B9004 sat nav unit. I'd like to upgrade it to a B9017 unit from the later (2009+) RAV4's. Has anyone done this before and do you know if it's a straightforward swap or is there more to it? i'd particularly like the DAB radio and bluetooth A2DP support of the later model.

Thanks in advance.

Straker88

The later model has the streaming bluetooth support but there is no native DAB radio service and would be an extra cost option on top as I understand it.

Thanks for that. Do you know if the connections round the back are the same? Would it simply be a case of unplugging the cables from the B9004 and re-plugging them into the B9017?

I personally have no idea what connectors are interchangeable. I would assume there is no major difference but I know that the first iPod kit I got for my unit (car is 2011 model) did not fit and had to get a different one, so guessing the CD changer bit could be different?

Would it be easier cheaper to buy an aftermarket unit with the required functionality and with the money saved get an auto electrician to fit it?

Gus

The speaker and main power connectors are still common.

Things like the telephone mic and steering wheel controls have moved to a new connector.

It's actually quite easy to work out if you are prepared to spend 3 or 4 euros, log on to http://www.toyota-tech.eu/ and look at the wiring diagram.

If you really want to upgrade, Gust has a point about aftermarket. Just think about these points about the B9017:

You can't (well maybe you can if you hacked it), put exisiting compressed (mp3 etc) audio files on to the hard disk.It will only record onto there from a CD.

The bluetooth streaming is far from fool proof. e.g. I've had players disconnect when you get thinks like RDS traffic info pop up, which is a pain, when your driving. The player should just pause. Some actually stop and go back to the start of the track, once the traffic announcement has finished, or has been cancelled.

The map updates are not via DVD. It needs to be plugged into a separate piece of map update box, probably and usually at a dealer.

It does have an aux in, unlike the B9004, but you'd need to supply a connector and additional harness.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the bother. I think Toyota have finally got there act together with the Touch / Touch and Go range, but the functionality on their earlier attempts could have been much better.

• Like 1

That's really helpful. Seems it may not be the best of ideas after all. Appreciate your help - thanks.

I agree with Gust / Shcm..

I replaced my B9017 with an aftermarket unit...

Any pics of you aftermarket unit please, jolly-friar.

Ive been debating replacing my B9004 with aftermarket unit (with sat nav) or with the newer Toyota Touch & Go system too.

Any pics of you aftermarket unit please, jolly-friar.

Ive been debating replacing my B9004 with aftermarket unit (with sat nav) or with the newer Toyota Touch & Go system too.

This is mine.. hope this works, not uploaded pics before..

Head Unit :

Rav_head3_s.jpg

Mic :

Rav_head2_s.jpg

Big speaker thing :

Rav_head4_s.jpg

Head unit again :

Rav_head1_s.jpg

I mostly listen to music from my iPod, and find this unit easy to use...

I guess with head units, like alot of things, every one has their own preference.. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links