Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Rear Brake Disc And Pad Wear

SR-Manuel

I have an 10 reg Auris SR 1.6. At the 30k mile service the dealer commented that the pads on the rear were 70% worn.

Is it normal pad wear for 30k miles?

Also, the rears are worn out before the fronts. Is this right? I was under the impression that the fronts would wear faster due to the way weight is shifted when braking.

With all of our cars (including a 2006 Corolla) apart from my Auris, they seemed to have the braking biased towards the front - ie the front wheels always got dirtier quicker through brake dust than the rears. Our 2012 Hyundai i20 does this.

However with both of my Auris (2009 and 2012) the opposite is the case - the rears always get dirtier quicker through brake dust.

So I wouldn't be surprised that the rear brake pads on the Auris wear quicker than the front - as the brake bias appears different.

Thanks for the reply. I commented to them last year that there was brake dust on the rear alloys and they checked the brakes and they said they were fine.

Like you found, all my previous cars were the opposite, fronts wore quicker than the rear which is why I question why the Auris is different.

I've just replaced the rear discs and pads on our Auris for £85.

If there's more dust on the rear wheels it's actually more likely to be road dust thrown up from the front - especially if you do more motorway miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I never believed the dealer when they told me simillar but yes the rears do wear quicker, I've kept an eye on them and they are now quite low but still useable at just over 50k (original pads) on my SR180.

• 2 months later...

hi i have just got a 2010 auris with 23 600 miles the first mot was done and it has an advisory for wear on rear brake discs! brake discs should last longer than this must be a problem with them as i have heard about other problems with toyota models.

Pads and discs are wearable items - was the previous owner hard on brakes?

The son of my neighbour is having to replace the front discs on their 11 reg Polo diesel at each service due to over-heating - had the first pair replaced under the new car warranty at the first service, second set were replaced November 2012 at his cost during the second service, and, with a third service coming up, the front discs are juddering again. VW and the dealer insist there is no problem with the braking system. Car has done 33,000.

The only common issue with brakes on early Auris was brake squeal - largely sorted with different design pads.

That kind of wear on such a light car (the Polo)is totally unacceptable ! Either there is a definite problem with the brakes or the driver is not treating them properly. By that, I mean a lot of harsh braking or hanging on to them after heavy braking (causing warpage). Lots of automatics suffer from this for the same reason.

I had the rear discs & pads changed on my 2.2 Auris recently - at 48k mls.

The Polo followed a succession of Fords, is used mainly for city driving with occasional motorway trips, and driving is shared between the husband and wife. No issues with the Fords as regards brakes. VW and the dealer refuse to accept there is an issue with the brakes - so their only option is to replace the discs again or, as the lease is up in March, continue with the brake judder and get something else next year.

The brother has the same model Polo - no issues.

There is a mention of warped front discs in the Honest John review (Whats Bad) of the Polo, which seems a similar story of denial by VW/the dealer.

The rear discs on my dad's Focus seemed to wear pretty fast, but it was because he tends to brake fairly gently so the rear discs weren't being scrubbed, resulting in a buildup of rust which caused greater wear on the disc and pads.

His garage's solution was to tell him he should brake harder :lol:

Rabydoo, did it have it's MOT at one of the Western Dealerships?

Ironically I was back at the dealer today, the handbrake mechanism on one of the rear calipers is not fully releasing. Apparently its not binding but there is play in the handbrake when you first pull it.

Just had new rear pads and discs fitted to my wife’s 1.4 d4d Auris . You could see
the wear and ridge through the rear wheel. and a loud constant squeak

There was also a problem with the offside rear calibre which was replaced
under warranty. The car is 3 years and 2 months old The car has done 44,000
miles but we have only owned it for the last 8'000 miles, so don’t know how it was
driving before

We also own a D4D yaris which has done 85,000 , 70,000 of those I have done
, it is still running its original brakes which when checked recently were all
still serviceable so looks like the Auris is heavy on brakes