Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Passenger Seat Rattle Iq

bobkneale

Had the IQ car for nearly 2 months now and I have covered less than 700 miles in it. (34,000miles + on the clock) it has always had a annoying rattle from passenger front seat when idling, so when it went in for the EGR valve replacement yesterday asked them to look at this at the same time, thinking it might be a quick fix ?

They asked me to return the car again today which I have done for an independent warranty assesor to look at it who has now confirmed that "something inside the seat was loose and they was no point stripping down the seat any further to investigate it further, The rattle is coming from the hinge area somewhere inside where the back of the seat hinges to the part you sit on. His report is now going to the warranty company for them to decide what to do. It obviously needs a new seat if they are not going to take it further apart to find the "true root cause" I am now awaiting a decision regarding this being covered through extended Toyota warranty ?

When I mentioned this "seat rattle" yesterday I was first asked to pay for the cost of removing the seat for the warranty assesor to then look at it, cost estimated to be about ₤40 however when i mentioned that I had purchased the car from this specific dealer as an approved Toyota they said they would cover this cost.

I hope the decision is taken to get it fixed under the warranty as it is a very annoying rattle, and I would have expected it to be already picked up and repaired in advance before I took ownership of the car via the 1000's point checks that Toyota complete on all their second hand approved warranty cars.

I must admit I am a little fed up of driving backwards and forwards (a 30+ mile round trip) to my dealer plus the time wasted now to get things fixed that I feel should have already been sorted out before I took ownership of the car.

I am remaining a patient Toyota Customer so far ! but my patience is running out a bit to be honest.

Anyhow my questions to the forum is:

1) Has anyone else had this specific problem ?

2) Have they had it repaired under Toyota extended warranty ?

All comments welcomed

Positive Regards, Bob Kneale.

Hi Bob

Interesting, I DID have a rattle similar to what you describe, shortly after purchase.After about a month, I decided to buy the Leather kit and upholster the seats. I removed the seats and noticed that there was some metal pieces (presumably from the manufacture) moving around in the frame work. They were sealed in so I could't remove them. I got a very small powerful magnet from an old hard Drive and trapped the bits against the frame with the magnet out of sight . Nice and quiet again !!! Obviously in your case pursue the warrantee

David

Update on dealer response to my seat rattle, Service Manager called my yesterday and said that extended warranty refused to cover seat change however he was working on a plan to change the seat anyway. Car is now booked in for 8th April 2013 for this to happen. I will update the forum on progress after then.

I also had a rattle on the passenger seat, mostly when the engine is idling or when you drive on stones. When you put a bag on the seat it's gone.

Turned out there are some screws underneath the seat who need some tightening and then it was gone.

Thanks Rick for that, as my dealer has already removed the seat once and checked it ? it might not be that, however I will bear it in mind as my rattle "sounds" similar to yours IE when weight is on the seat (another person) or you put your hand onto the back rest it stops the rattle. Thanks very much for your comments.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Passenger Seat Rattle, My IQ went in today for 2hrs (I waited) for Toyota Dealer to fix passenger seat rattle, it is now about 50% better than it was, but not altogether gone. I have decided I will "live with it", rather than go back yet again.

I am perhaps to much of a perfectionist ? and now I have been backwards and forwards to dealer in last 3 months 4 times for various issues.

I have decided to post a independent review on this forum regarding my second hand IQ experience over the last 3 months since I took ownership, for others to reflect upon.

Positive Regards Bob.

As you are a self confessed perfectionist Bob, (which i fully understand) Are you not in a position to remove the seat yourself ? from memory, I think its a couple of Torx bolt. Then you can see if once removed, if its something rattling around in the frame by giving it a shake and thump. I know its been " replaced" but I know I can remove mine in less than 8 mins. 2hrs seems excessive. like i said previously, mine has metal weld fragments floating around the frame. Manufacturing process.

David

As you are a self confessed perfectionist Bob, (which i fully understand) Are you not in a position to remove the seat yourself ? from memory, I think its a couple of Torx bolt. Then you can see if once removed, if its something rattling around in the frame by giving it a shake and thump. I know its been " replaced" but I know I can remove mine in less than 8 mins. 2hrs seems excessive. like i said previously, mine has metal weld fragments floating around the frame. Manufacturing process.

David

Hi David, Yes I could remove the seat myself and check for what you suggest, perhaps when it gets a bit warmer in my area I will take a look at it myself. David I don't wish to bore you with my issues, however I do have a knee problem that means kneeling down could pop it out ! So have to be carful about that. Thanks Again for your Post, Positive Regards Bob.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yes noticed a rattle on ours that resonates with the multidrive in neutral/about to start off. A bit annoying. Will investigate and get back.

I never got around to finding the root cause of my passenger seat rattle so I now just live with the seat rattle !

My nearest Toyota dealer have offered to try and fix it for free, (They failed the first time) I don't feel like giving them a second chance as they should have got it right first time around, !

I it only happens on engine idle with no one sitting the passenger seat, I have chosen to just live with it.

Positive Regards, Bob

Is this catching?

Ive got a passenger seat rattle at idle now.

So, has anybody just tried to fix it themselves? Just tight the bolts underneeth the passenger seat, that did the trick for me..........

I have a very annoying rattle (that sounds like a vibration, as if the window wasn't up enough and the glass was vibrating) which seems to be coming from the hand hold over the drivers door, as well as something from the passenger side, possibly the seat, but could also be the other handle over the passenger door. Going to look at fixing it by tightening up bolts/nuts/screws. Also going to try car for a few days with everything inside it removed to make sure its not anything I put in there.

My passenger seat rattle at iding is either inside the seat itself or two big a gap where the two sliding rails that fit together where the seat slides back and forth on, as when I have a passenger seated the rattle is gone, due to the weight on the seat.

A poor IQ design problem in my view !

I am just living with it !

My rattle seems to be over the CD-player and diminishes somewhat when I put my hand over it. Also at idle

My rattle seems to be over the CD-player and diminishes somewhat when I put my hand over it. Also at idle

I have also previously have had the same rattle over CD player at idle, my fix was a good bash with my hand and it went away, probably not the best way to fix it !

How can you say it's a poor design, For all you know it could be a stray 10 pence piece from someones pocket found it's way inside the seat runners.

Find out what it is before slating the poor designers! :disgust:

Craig.

• Like 1

I think with the iQ we have to find niggling faults with it because it's so clever and robust as an executed design concept. However, opinion is just that - opinion, and whilst we might not agree with everyone, they are entitled to have one either way (not having a go at anyone) and it is how we learn from each other. We should all be friends here riding along in our iQ automobile :-) :euro:

:gora:

How can you say it's a poor design, For all you know it could be a stray 10 pence piece from someones pocket found it's way inside the seat runners.

Find out what it is before slating the poor designers! :disgust:

Craig.

I say it is a design fault because I am not the only one who has had the seat rattle problem, (just search this forum and you will see I am not the only one) and if you spend some time googling the IQ seat design you may find that it is quite unique, Toyota have used very lightweight metal tube (to reduce weight) and I suspect they have not got the design quite right, this coupled with the fact that my IQ has been back to the dealer for the seat rattle and they failed to fix it at the first attempt.

However I can always be wrong !

Its the first car I have owned in over 40 years of motoring across various places on planet earth that I have had these types of problems,

Don't get me wrong the IQ is a ground breaking design concept, and with all new design concepts come some "design problems" until they are all addressed.

Positive Regards, Bob.

If all these rattles were stray 10p pieces, we would have enough to pay off the national debt of a small country. Mine seems to be a bad fit of the seat backrest in the recliner mechanism, bad design, manufacture, quality control or any combination of the se are to blame.

There is a cure, if you drive it like you stole it, it doesnt rattle, its only when you idle or go slow..

• 6 months later...

Just been told by toyota that they don't cover rattles. But the rattle is the symptom here of something loose. And as its the front seat, I'm a little concerned that the warranty company have dismissed this as a rattle and not 'something loose on the structure of the seat'.

Has anyone had a successful fix for this?

Just been told by toyota that they don't cover rattles. But the rattle is the symptom here of something loose. And as its the front seat, I'm a little concerned that the warranty company have dismissed this as a rattle and not 'something loose on the structure of the seat'.

Has anyone had a successful fix for this?

My Toyota Dealer attempted to fix my passenger seat rattle about a year or so ago, and failed to completly fix it. It only happens on tickover with the passenger seat right back and no one sitting in it. I believe they will fix rattles if you pester them enough ! However I also think the IQ is a bit rattle prone !

I also recall Bob, that somewhere on here rattles have been discussed before, and if memory serves me right -yes, it usually does- someone kindly suggested going around the inside of the car with a few tools; screwdriver and spanner for two, tightening up those that come loose due to bouncy roads and pot holes and general usage. I keep meaning to do mine- note to self- BUCK UP! Remember to look at creaks in car with spanner and screwdriver, and yes, possibly one or two of those funny looking screwdrivers that don't work on screws.

:unsure::rolleyes::huh::g:

They've pretty much told me I have to live with the passanger seat tickover rattle.

It's also been in 3 times for a knocking on the suspension. They said they couldn't find it, so I took a technician out with me. He claims to have checked the suspension components, but it sounds very much like a knocking bush.

I've felt a bit let down by toyota after being very impressed. I was almost certain to buy a new toyota, but this has now left me wondering.