Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jacking Up 3 Door Rav4.2

Hoovie

Where is the best place to jack up the rear of the 3 Door RAV4.2?

Is it ok to use the rear diff which looks a very solid and secure lump? And axle stands located where the Swing arms bolt onto the chassis?

Usually suitable places are pretty obvious but the short RAV doesn't have that (least not that I can see)

Where is the best place to jack up the rear of the 3 Door RAV4.2?

Is it ok to use the rear diff which looks a very solid and secure lump? And axle stands located where the Swing arms bolt onto the chassis?

Usually suitable places are pretty obvious but the short RAV doesn't have that (least not that I can see)

Your trolley jack lift point should fit perfectly into the big dimples in the rear suspension shocker mount arms, David.....any doubts phone me.....works great with mine and must easily be the strongest point by far.

Big Kev.

This raises an interesting point, well for me, Had to jack the Rav up for a bit of work, and my trolly jack did the job great using the engine jack point . . . . Except that mah wee jack could nay get it high enough to put the axle stands in place. Now either I need to know where to place the axle stands (probable), or I need a new jack (or both) . . . I was looking at something like the High Lift / Farm Jack rather than another trolly jack, but while the farm jack looks simple to use, I don't think there is anywhere on a RAV to use as a jacking point . . . especially with side steps

Anyone know if a Farm Jack will work??

This raises an interesting point, well for me, Had to Jack the Rav up for a bit of work, and my trolly jack did the job great using the engine jack point . . . . Except that mah wee jack could nay get it high enough to put the axle stands in place. Now either I need to know where to place the axle stands (probable), or I need a new jack (or both) . . . I was looking at something like the High Lift / Farm Jack rather than another trolly jack, but while the farm jack looks simple to use, I don't think there is anywhere on a RAV to use as a jacking point . . . especially with side steps

Somebody on here kicked my bum for trying to lift two wheels at a time, Amfinny.....is that what happens if you use the engine jacking point, wherever that is......? Could that be problem with height....? My trolley jack lifts the CORNERS plenty to get axle stands under.....will try find where I got it, and was cheaper, and let ye know.

As for the Farm jack......use that and end up like same name from Emmerdale.....DEAD......

Profound Kev

This raises an interesting point, well for me, Had to Jack the Rav up for a bit of work, and my trolly jack did the job great using the engine jack point . . . . Except that mah wee jack could nay get it high enough to put the axle stands in place. Now either I need to know where to place the axle stands (probable), or I need a new jack (or both) . . . I was looking at something like the High Lift / Farm Jack rather than another trolly jack, but while the farm jack looks simple to use, I don't think there is anywhere on a RAV to use as a jacking point . . . especially with side steps

Farm jacks are notoriously unstable Tony. You need something a lot safer like this:

Image1572.jpg

I may give you a call next week Kev, when I am back by the car, to check where you mean :thumbsup:

I did actually lift the rear centrally - so both wheels off the ground in a oner, but I DID put stands each side before taking the wheels off :)

Interesting point from Tony ... The point that looked best was so high up that my trolley jack, despite being a pretty high-lift version, just was not high enough to raise the car.

Having a bit of a Toyota run currently ... Avensis returned to owner on Thursday morning, picked up RAV4 on way back and quoting on a Yaris on Monday :D

No work today as out leafleting for a big promo event next weekend, but quoted on - and got :) - a job for a taxi driver while walking round the toun :thumbsup:

Farm jacks are notoriously unstable Tony. You need something a lot safer like this:

Image1572.jpg

Obviously photographed just outside Dublin......there are Tree Fellers working on that car......a mechanic and two apprentices.

Patent Applied for......

Image1572.jpg

Obviously photographed just outside Dublin......there are Tree Fellers working on that car......a mechanic and two apprentices.

Patent Applied for......

Image1572.jpg

Patent Applied for......

Tha just coudna stop theysen could tha Kev :chair:

Del

Sorry Del Boy......are they renewing the track Rodney ends.......?

Image1572.jpg

I can't see anything wrong with it?

I thought they were all like this.

Hoovie.

You could always look in the 4.2 pinned section..........

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/77508-maintenance-42-jacking-points/

As my learned colleague says, take great care lifting both sides at once unless you have a very substantial jack. Itend to jack under the trailing arms. You can get the idea from this;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/86796-maintenanceimprovement-tips-42/page-2#entry1033319

That's the beasties, Hoovie......"trailing arms" have the big shock absorber nut recess that takes my trolley jack head and fits like a skitter to a stane........translates as liquid bowel waste to a smooth rock.

Big Kev

Thanks for the link Don, perfect :). I will print that out for future reference :thumbsup:

Ref lifting both sides at once, my jack is pretty heavy duty - 2 Tonne - but even so, it is definitely safety first for self and then vehicle, so 3T axle stands positioned both sides before wheels off and jack also left in place (slightly lowered) as an extra precaution.

I lift just one side at a time as its easier to pop an axle stand under.. I use a pinch weld adaptor which is a solid rubber ice hockey puck with a grove cut in it which sits on the jack plate and straddles the pinch welds or in the case or a car fitted with side steps under the metal bracket.. Works a treat and is a very stable platform to work from with an axle stand of course !

My pair if trolley jacks both are alloy and the same make despite having differing labels .Both are low entry and and both are a joy to use !.The bigger two tonne one is on offer at Costco at the moment for £107 inc VAT..

Jacks002_zps176ca2cc.jpg

Charlie, I have exactly the same jacks as you :) (plus the 1.5T version of the blue one)

I find the smaller blue one is a bit limited in its lifting power and vehicles I thought *would* have been ok, it would not lift the corner of (based on one corner being around 1/4 the GVW of the car) so the 2T one comes out on the bigger stuff.

I like your modified hockey puck - very good idea :thumbsup:

Hockey Puck a stonking idea, Charlie.....neighbour few doors away borrowed my jack and used it on the flange, not either side of the pinch welds which your pucking idea is perfect for......crunch was heard at 30 paces.......

Cannot believe pucking got past censor.....

Big Kev

The puck shown was cut for the Rav.. When jacking up the gap closes to fit neatly against the jacking point on the side step of my car.. I have a different one for the Jag and the groove on that one is very shallow as the pinch weld I put it under is rather shallow itself..

Link to the Puck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Hockey-Puck-Black-/190773540211?pt=UK_Ice_Hockey&hash=item2c6afd3573

Cutting is very easy !! Takes just a few strokes with a hacksaw but some enterprising merchant is selling them ready cut as a Pinch Weld Adaptor for ten quid ! Sheet welder maybe ??

Ned to find somebody with a Costco card then!

I bought one of these;

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3-garage-3-ton-trolley-jack

They make them themselves (which is why they're cheap) but I've never lifted a car so easily in my life. Lifted my 2+ tonne Landrover the other day- took about 5 seconds.

On sale at mo so super cheap!

Dave

(520mm lift height too)

20.5 inches in real money.......good find. One for Hoovie's next Cayenne....?

20.5 inches in real money.......good find. One for Hoovie's next Cayenne....?

Looks good but ..... HEAVY!

The Costco one Charlie posted the pic of is 21.5Kg rather 37.4Kg - and 21Kg is heavy enough already to be carrying around and lifting in and out a van ;) - but fine for workshop use though :yes:

Max height wise, there is only an inch in it (520mm v 498mm) but that 3T capacity is good :thumbsup:

I only roll it out the garage onto the drive where the car is! So no lifting required, but yes it is v heavy!

Dave

I spotted this company last night Dave and am very impressed with their products. If I can dig my way into the garage today I will have a measure up at my current jack and see how it compares with SGS's alloy jacks and the one that Charlie and Hoovie are using.

The puck shown was cut for the Rav.. When jacking up the gap closes to fit neatly against the jacking point on the side step of my car.. I have a different one for the Jag and the groove on that one is very shallow as the pinch weld I put it under is rather shallow itself..

Link to the Puck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Hockey-Puck-Black-/190773540211?pt=UK_Ice_Hockey&hash=item2c6afd3573

Cutting is very easy !! Takes just a few strokes with a hacksaw but some enterprising merchant is selling them ready cut as a Pinch Weld Adaptor for ten quid ! Sheet welder maybe ??

Think I will drop into the local curling club and see if they have any old pucks :). Bargain prices for TOC members ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links