Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Air-con Burn Loads Of Fuel?

pstones578

yea i believe using air-con will use up more fuel, however i dont know why ;) im sure i was told this anyways

Air-con doesn't use fuel directly...but the compressor is directly connected to the engine., and thus when running results in a drain in power...so you literally have to put pedal to the floor a little more to get the same performance...and hence...use a little more juice.

We arn't talking loads though perhaps 1mpg loss when running with air-con on.

Vipes

Yes that is true. You do notice that the performance does suffer when you have the air con on.

jerry!!

I hadn't noticed :eek:

Ahh well - I suppose thats a good thing as if I dont know I'm losing anything it wont bother me too much - its still a very economical car anyways! :D

Yes it does drain the power of the performance, feels like iam going to stall in second gear.... but i do believe that aircon does burn petrol down faster, that's why i tend to open my windows when it aint that hot.

i find mine gets bogged down a bit but never really noticed a massive rise in fuel consumption

I've noticed a drop in performance with the air con on. Nothing severe, but enough to notice when driving hard.

I haven't noticed much difference in fuel consumption though. It must use a little bit extra as the power has gotta come from somewhere I suppose, but perhaps not enough to make a noticable difference.

Yes it does drain the power of the performance, feels like iam going to stall in second gear.... but i do believe that aircon does burn petrol down faster, that's why i tend to open my windows when it aint that hot.

driving with your windows open burns extra fuel too.... probably more economical to keep windows closed..and have aircon on!

Vipes.

Thats why they have the button on the radio which when you push it in gives you 5bhp to compensate. 

Eh? .. What buttons that?

nooooooooo keep that "turbo" button under wraps...it's been discussed before...and look what happend!!

driving with your windows open burns extra fuel too.... probably more economical to keep windows closed..and have aircon on!

Vipes.

That's very true, anyway, i tend to have my air con anyway, otherwise i'll die in my black car :D fuel seems to be ok at the mo, not dropping fast :thumbsup:

Thats why they have the button on the radio which when you push it in gives you 5bhp to compensate. :P

5bhp is only an approximate, its actually 3% of the cars total power at the flywheel so on the TS this is only about 3bhp. it is mainly there to improve the torque curve more than the overall power output in overtaking situations, mainly in Japan where the roads are a lot busier and therefore they have to be in and out as quick as possible.

its not on 'constantly' becasue fuel economy does suffer a bit and the car is tending to overfuel but it gives you the slight kick to help you get going

this is only on the cars that were built in Japan and the French built ones as far as im concerned dont have it.

Although last time i checked you could buy the little sender box from Toyota and all it does is blug into a redundant plug at the back of the dash (you will see it if you take off the dash to fit a headunit) and then a fly lead goes to the ECU under the glove box

:thumbsup:

Thats why they have the button on the radio which when you push it in gives you 5bhp to compensate. :P

5bhp is only an approximate, its actually 3% of the cars total power at the flywheel so on the TS this is only about 3bhp. it is mainly there to improve the torque curve more than the overall power output in overtaking situations, mainly in Japan where the roads are a lot busier and therefore they have to be in and out as quick as possible.

its not on 'constantly' becasue fuel economy does suffer a bit and the car is tending to overfuel but it gives you the slight kick to help you get going

this is only on the cars that were built in Japan and the French built ones as far as im concerned dont have it.

Although last time i checked you could buy the little sender box from Toyota and all it does is blug into a redundant plug at the back of the dash (you will see it if you take off the dash to fit a headunit) and then a fly lead goes to the ECU under the glove box

:thumbsup:

Means i've got an extra few brake! :lol:

Cheers :thumbsup:

i never knew pushing in that button gives a few xtra ponies !!! i just thought it was some thing to do with the radio but couldn;t work out wat it was for and didn;t really care as i added an after market stereo instead.

have to admit - when i did push it in - did not feel any xtra surge - but maybe i wasn;t realli paying attention to that sort of thing :thumbsup:

testing after work for sure tho !!!

Okay, as said above, Air con does drain power from the engine (although in mine, i dont notice), but the fuel consumption does increase due to the engine having to work 'more'...

The button is a wind up, and if you believe Rob's post then your a fool! :ffs: :wacko: <_<

What button are you talking about?

:bookworm:

The volume knob, you can push it in too give you extra BHP ;)

Oh Fidgits we were having a laugh there and now u've spoiled it! :lol:

Cheers :thumbsup:

The button is a wind up, and if you believe Rob's post then your a fool! :ffs: :wacko: <_<

aww Ian!

yes i was winding you up!

it also works as a good sat nav MUTE button i think?

:lol:

:lol:

good read this thread.

I dont' suffer from lless performance from having air con on so ner ner. Well, actually i do, unless i floor it, then the car turns off the Condenser, clever eh???

Basically, if ya gonna be booting it, switch if off, but i'd rather have air con than not, never would i fancy going back to non aircon, even though we dont have that hot summers, its still nice.

I cant say that I really notice any loss of power. If there is some loss of power then it must be very small.