Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tires And Alloys Q's

andrewm1

It looks like the Leon centre bore is 57.1mm where as the Avensis is 54.1mm so you will need to get some adapters otherwise the alloy wheel will be sat directly on the wheel bolts/studs rather than the hub and the bolts/studs, this can be very dangerous without them.

If you have steel wheels on your Avensis you will also need the correct wheel bolts/nuts for alloy wheels that have a floating collar otherwise the the wheel may come loose.

Check out these adapters/spigot rings here as an idea:-

http://www.autoinparts.com/Wheel_nuts,_bolts,_locks,_spacers_and_accessories-Spigot_rings_for_O.E_and_Aftermarket_Alloy_Wheels/c628_897/index.html

Pete.

Perfectly safe to run rims without any spigot rings,

I ran my GT4 turbo with 72.1 centre bore on 54.1 hubs, no problems

I now run my Eunos roadster with 67.1 CB on 54.1 hubs on track days, no problems

Perfectly safe to run rims without any spigot rings,

I ran my GT4 turbo with 72.1 centre bore on 54.1 hubs, no problems

I now run my Eunos roadster with 67.1 CB on 54.1 hubs on track days, no problems

Well Phil you are entitled to you opinion but I for one when giving advice on a car forum to a person who may have very little knowledge about cars it's best for be cautious with your advice.

It's my opinion and the opinion of many others in the trade or on other car forums that it could be dangerous to run without spigot rings BUT if you or anyone else wishes to do so then go ahead.

if you cause an accident on a public highway due to having problems or mechanical defects with your vehicle your insurance won't pay out and the police will prosecute.

So for the sake of £20 .... choice is yours andrewm1.

Pete.

I think that 'perfectly safe' is an optimistic statement. The hub, wheel, studs and nuts are designed to work as a system. The hub and wheel should mate together. The studs and nuts hold them together. As a system the whole thing is strong enough to take the loads exerted upon it. If you remove one component you compromise the system, introducing potential failure. Just because wheels have remained in place so far without spigot rings doesn't mean that they will remain in place in the future. If one stud fails the others may (and probably will) follow in rapid succession with catastrophic results.

If the parts weren't required the engineers wouldn't include them in the design.

Druid boy and pete you are so wrong, all a myth that you need hub rings, sorry pete but I have never ever disagreed on any of your posts before but this time I am.

some quotes below,,

I have run rally cars with spacers on them , and the wheels were only centred on the wheel studs ,I didn't have any problems at all
Cheers Ian

They aren't necessary but are an aid to idiot proof it (so to speak) for those people that just bang the wheel on a **** up the nuts without regard to seating. Without them you need to finger tight each opposing wheel nut, giving the wheel a shake inbetween to make sure its seated centrally, then nip the wheel nuts up to the correct torque afterwards.

Do I need a spigot ring for mine?

If your wheel does not sit perfectly in line with your hub and balances perfectly with no wobbling, then you may need to check that you have a spigot ring there. Many people who experience vibration from their wheels at over 60mph will most likely need a spigot ring, as this ensures that the wheel fits perfectly central on the hub. If this is you, then yes, you should try checking your tracking and maybe then consider spigot rings.

ive never used a spigot ring, and not had problems, the wheel bolts (if using the right ones) will centre the wheel perfectly.

Shouldn’t be the spigots, they are only there to aid the initial wheel location on the hub.

Providing the bolts are done up correctly then the wheel will sit flush and aligned to the hub.

ditto. the wheel bolts are tapered, the recess in the alloy wheels are tapered. a bit of plastic wont make a jot of difference, unless someone is suggesting a bit of plastic will overcome the centring ability of tapered wheel bolts done up to 80lbs ?

'm simply saying that i have absolutely no problem with not running spigot rings and if done correctly it is safe in my opinion . i hardly think the op is going to go my side after a whole first page of over dramatic statements saying he'll be dead by the time he gets off his drive !

as far as people are concerned spigot rings should be fitted to ease the installation of a wheel

they do not take any load directly, that is done through the hub face by the applied bolt torque

Thanks guys i took t spiritpepete's advice and cancelled my eBay transaction as i had won that bid.

At the end of the day if i am involved in an acident and they find out that the wheels where not the right fitting for my car then I will be responsible. Thanks for your advice everyone

Phil,

I don't come on here to argue or scaremonger so lets just agree to disagree and no hard feelings.

Andrew,

I think you made the right decision, get the correct wheels for your Avensis. Please remember even when changing from steel wheels to the correct alloys can invalidate your insurance if you don't tell them and I'm not being a killjoy here, they just look for any excuse not to pay out.

Pete.

Yea and dont

Phil,

I don't come on here to argue or scaremonger so lets just agree to disagree and no hard feelings.

Andrew,

I think you made the right decision, get the correct wheels for your Avensis. Please remember even when changing from steel wheels to the correct alloys can invalidate your insurance if you don't tell them and I'm not being a killjoy here, they just look for any excuse not to pay out.

Pete.

Yea they will find something to not pay out ,But what was my main concern is that if there was an accident and there was a fatality then i would be in big $hit as according to the manufactures and mot standards my car will be at fault for the incorrect wheels (At the end of the day someone has to take the wrap)

Spigot rings really are made of plastic. I would never have thought that but its true, they are. Well, you live and learn eh?