Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulling The Rear Seat

Sensha

I've managed to locate the four bolt under the storage box at the rear of the car, and they came out easily enough, but I cannot locate the bolts that are at the front of the seat. Does anyone have a clear idea as to where they might be located?

We have felt around under the edge of the seat cushion, but they don't seem to be there. I'm sure it's obvious, but we haven't a clue. Please, someone help me out here.

I need to pull the seat not for any sophisticated modification or customization, but rather to retrieve an expensive earring that my lovely wife managed to drop through the center seat belt hole...

The seat base does hinge up from the front allowing access to the tool kit underneath. There is a strap under the seat cushion in the centre that you pull I think then the base lifts up at the front.

According to my manual you need to remove the storage box.

Remove the headrests.

undo the 4 bolts at the rear and disconnect an electrical plug on the left side.

Lift up the seat base from the front and remove 2 more bolts from underneath the seat.

Remove the entire seat assembly.

Once the seat base is hinged up you may well find what you're looking for.

Craig.

Yep Exactly what i did when i removed them for leather upholstery

David

I pulled the seat using the above instructions, and found the earring just off to the side of the seat belt hole.

On the US vehicles, we don't have a tool kit under the seat, although its clear that the space is designed to hold something. Since we're not supposed to jack with our seats, there's no strap to pull it up with. You just grab the seat and yank on it, putting more force into it than you think that you need to.

I stored the standard five large trash bags and a couple of old towels in there before I closed it all up.

Hi Terry

What does the expression "we are not supposed to jack

with our seats". Mean? The pull tab in ours operates latches so the seat is locked in position unless you pull it

David

A decent translation might be "mess with" or "tamper with". Instead of a latch triggered by the pull-strap, we have two typical Toyota seat connectors that "stab" into plastic fittings inserted into the floorpan of the vehicle.

Glad you found what you were looking for. :)

So you just have a round hole under the seat in the Scion then? Here we get a foam circular insert that fits in the hole and carries a small scissor type jack, a wheel wrench, tyre compressor with tyre sealant built in and a small fold up wheel chock. All useful stuff for sorting out a flat tyre, Surprised you don't get anything like that?

Craig.

Our tire pump and sealant are located beneath the storage box at the rear of the car. There's a space on the left side (our driver's size) with a rectangular indent in the foam insert which was received empty. Possibly a first aid kit would be stashed there.

But, under the seat, nothing. No center strap to unlock a latch, no foam inserts - nothing.

• 3 years later...

Just removed the rear seats in preparation for a spot a touring in France next week.

I've disconnectede the electrical connector going to the rear seat.

Anyone know what the connector does?

Thanks. I hope it doesn't mean the alarm sounds continuously? Otherwise the seat will need to go back. I'll check in the morning.

Does your profile need changing from an Aygo to an IQ????

They could be airbag sensors.

The iQ has a rear curtain airbag that is in the roof lining just in front of the boot lid opening. I think it has sensors so it will only go off in the event of a rear collision with rear passengers on the seat. I guess you wouldn't want it going off if someone ran in the back of you and you had luggage in there instead or the seats were folded down as it could push the luggage forward into the driver.

The centre airbag display shows the plan of the car and has two red lights when you first start the car. I think these show when the airbags are inactive.

If you haven't yet driven the car I wonder if it will set off an airbag warning on the dash?

Craig.

The connector joins the rear seat and the vehicle. Removing the seat takes half the connector, leaving the other half in the vehicle.

My first inclinination was that it was a seat belt sensor (as suggested by David).

Can anyone else shed some light?

I'll try in the morning to see if there are any warnings.

I temoved minr in 2011 to cover the seats in leather. I think the connector, when removed puts a short across it keeping the alarm happy but its 5yrs ago memory not what it was

David

Started this morning. No problems, no alarms.

Yes i am sure when you seporate the connector it puts a short on the cable indicating to the alarm all is well

David