Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Message Lights

wineman69

2008 rav vsc system check / check engine system / check 4x4 system all came on plus loss of power managed to get home as only 5min away 4x4 control switch does not work are all the messages connected to the 4x4 system .looks like a trip to the garage does this have to be done at main dealers any help please.

Disconnect the Battery for a couple of minutes then get the codes read. If you are using supermarket fuel you are probably responsible for it.

hi anchorman how do i get the codes read and how does supermarket fuil afect the 4 wheel drive ?? wineman69

Hi Wineman, My 2007 2.2 D4D has just done exactly the same today but without any loss of power. First of all the oil maintenance light came on but the 4 wheel drive was fine then after it had changed to 2 wheel drive the Check Engine System, Check VSC System and Check 4 x 4 System lights came on and now all 4 stay on. Looks like a trip to the dealer on Monday.

Anchorman do you know what the diagnosis is likely to be and how much its likely to cost?

Thanks

Had a similar occurrence a couple of days ago. CES/VSC/4WD and limp mode lack of power and 2000rpm limit.

Read the code which was "P2002 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)".

Called dealer to arrange further assessment and was told it was likely to be a blocked DPF and that it had reached its life expectancy at 84k miles. Cost of replacement circa £1500.

Do any of the more knowledgeable members on here know if that's a reasonable answer or is there something more sinister going on with the engine such as the dreaded carbon build up problem associated with some 2AD engines as per CharleyFarleys thread.I don't want to replace the DPF only for the same thing to happen again in a few months.

Hi RAVoilburner, thanks for the reply. I've not had the problem of limp home mode as the engine seems to pull just fine. The engine was replaced 2000 miles ago under warranty by Toyota as the head gasket had gone so it really shouldn't be a problem with the new engine I hope.

No but what does happen is that all the clag that was disturbed during the engine rebuild will make its way to the EGR and it might need a clean (there is only a DPF or DNPR as it is correctly called on a T180/SR180 at the age of these cars). You really need a cheap code reader off eBay and get us the code.

RAVoilburner, you can try disconnecting the Battery to get rid of the warning light and that will get you to a dealer. If you keep the revs low it may get you to a dealer without the light coming back on. There is a filter/emmission device in the exhaust which is partially blocked. It has sensors on the inlet and the outlet that measure the pressure difference and will initiate a regeneration or burning of the soot. If it gets too block - and that is usually a sign that the engine has been burning oil, the warning light comes on. Keeping the revs low may avoid it as a temporary measure.

Both. Using supermarket fuel isn't the cause of your problems but it does not contain any of the cleaning additives that the branded fuels do so will exacerbate the problem. It is never too late to change although your cars will not fix themselves at this stage.

Thanks Anchorman, i appreciate the speedy reply. I'll clean the EGR and get the codes.

Thanks for the advice Don.

I'll try your method in the hope it will get me the 12 miles to the dealer.

thanks for all coments read about a loose gas cap on american forum and relised they ment fuel cap checked it out and was not done up correctly ,tightened it to one clic started engine and low and behold engine was running on full power ??.had codes read at freinds local garage who also got rid of warning light codes are P0400 egr P0607 control module performance he did not no how old the code faults are but road tested and said the car seems fine and the 4x4 works fine could the fuel cap been my problem just keeping fingers crossed

Thanks Don, got the EGR cleaned and all the warning lights now gone. 4x4 system now working again just in time for the wonderful Spring snow. Joy!!

If memory serves me in late 2007 toyota knew of this problem and new software was available so when the EGR valve stuck you would not get all the warning lights you got, who did your servicing the new software should be loaded when the vehicle is in for servicing, looks like it was not done (again) and your EGR valve should be cleaned there is a service bulletin about this problem, I'm in darwen lancs if you are close and ever need to borrow a code reader???? Toyota did at one point offer a extended warranty on this EGR part etc but soon withdrew it when it cost them a fortune, If the Toyota dealers serviced your Rav4's correctly your EGR valve would not stick and you would not have a heart attack caused by numerous lights and warning apperaing on the dash, all it takes is a decent service "clean egr and load latest software"

p.s. Has anyone thought about EGR blanking, very easy to fit a plate between the EGR and engine no more black smoke better MPG better running in all gears

If memory serves me in late 2007 toyota knew of this problem and new software was available so when the EGR valve stuck you would not get all the warning lights you got, who did your servicing the new software should be loaded when the vehicle is in for servicing, looks like it was not done (again) and your EGR valve should be cleaned there is a service bulletin about this problem, I'm in darwen lancs if you are close and ever need to borrow a code reader???? Toyota did at one point offer a extended warranty on this EGR part etc but soon withdrew it when it cost them a fortune, If the Toyota dealers serviced your Rav4's correctly your EGR valve would not stick and you would not have a heart attack caused by numerous lights and warning apperaing on the dash, all it takes is a decent service "clean egr and load latest software"

p.s. Has anyone thought about EGR blanking, very easy to fit a plate between the EGR and engine no more black smoke better MPG better running in all gears

Firstly software updates are not part of routine servicing depending on what version of software is required updating the car can take in excess of an hour this is often more time than allowed for the entire sevice, secondly Toyota have not withdrawn any warranty extensions if you have an AD diesel with either:

P0400 egr blocked

P2002 Dpnr blocked

Or excessive oil or coolant loss then there is still a 7 year/111946mile warranty in place subject to resonable servicing being carried out

Firstly software updates are not part of routine servicing depending on what version of software is required updating the car can take in excess of an hour this is often more time than allowed for the entire sevice, secondly Toyota have not withdrawn any warranty extensions if you have an AD diesel with either:

P0400 egr blocked

P2002 Dpnr blocked

Or excessive oil or coolant loss then there is still a 7 year/111946mile warranty in place subject to resonable servicing being carried out

Thanks for this info Devon.

Would toyota approve of blanking off the EGR? Could it do any damage?

Toyota do not recommend blocking the EGR as it can cause other Warning lights to come on as the gas flow is monitored through the EGR, I have also seen an Avensis with the 2.2d fitted where the EGR was blocked and the blanking plate had melted through causing valve damage and an Auris T180 with running issues due to carbon build up in the head & DPNR all because the EGR was blocked. Toyota refused warranty assistance in both cases due to non approved modifications causing damage.

If you have a warning light or oil/coolant consumption and your car is less than 7 years old with less than 111946 miles let your dealer fix them correctly under warranty.

DA

I have seen several 2ADs running very successfully with the EGR blanked off. The blanks were made from proper shim steel and there were no warning lights. Fuel consumption was also improved. I'm not suggesting it is right but although mixing exhaust with inlet air obviously has some benefits in terms of emmissions, it is counter productive in terms of efficiency.

Thanks for the offer of a code reader Fox, I'll take you up on that next time I get a fault light. I live in Bolton so just over the hill from you. Everything running OK now the EGR been cleaned. I'll get the software checked next service. Cheers, Rich

Toyota do not recommend blocking the EGR as it can cause other Warning lights to come on as the gas flow is monitored through the EGR, I have also seen an Avensis with the 2.2d fitted where the EGR was blocked and the blanking plate had melted through causing valve damage and an Auris T180 with running issues due to carbon build up in the head & DPNR all because the EGR was blocked. Toyota refused warranty assistance in both cases due to non approved modifications causing damage.

If you have a warning light or oil/coolant consumption and your car is less than 7 years old with less than 111946 miles let your dealer fix them correctly under warranty.

Definately worth taking into account before doing any modifications.

I've had similar issues with mods on previous cars I've owned.

No problem I'm only a few miles away if you want any help just ask, I have read the info concerning the software update etc regarding the EGR valve sticking/wrong warning lights and it states the software should be loaded when the vehicle comes in for a service/repair/recall, I tried to claim for a EGR valve under the extended warranty and was told it had been stopped because of costs by "Toyota UK", I fitted a the blanking plate in 2009 and it has not given any false lights etc, Runs better no black smoke and sails through the MOT, I work at Bae systems and have helped numerous Toyota owners fit a EGR blanking plate, Some firms make a EGR blanking kit the 2.2 Toyota EGR is very easy to blank, But I stand by my comments it the Toyota delairs cleaned the EGR valve when they should do then a lot of Toyota owners would not get the shock of a load of warning lights coming on, Why should we put up with warning lights coming on when the fault is not related to the warning lights, another great Toyota product, I had just had a under body clean just after the winter, when my dash lit up like a Christmas tree 4x4 lights etc, we thought we had introduced water into the elcetrical system, but it was only a stuck EGR valve not very impressive from a top vehicle maker,,,,