Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing Power When Accelerating

andy white

I have a 2008 RAV 4, 2.2 Diesel with 50k on the clock and today when accelerating noticed that it became very lumpy with loss of power and drive. Below about 2000 rpm it seems fine. Could this be related to the engine control management system? I will get it in to Toyota on Monday but meanwhile any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Could be the cold weather and you need a new fuel filter. I had the same problem when it was cold two weeks ago, new filter and all is OK.

As it was cold and I didn't want diesel all over my drive i got the dealer to change it, cost under £80.00

The fuel filter instructions are pinned if you want to save some money.

Rang Toyota today and they confirmed highly likely it is the fuel filter and to my amazement they said it is down to fuel companies not providing the right additives in the mix to help prevent this cold weather problem in diesel cars, so you end up with waxy diesel clogging up the filter. They also said if you take your last fuel receipt and the invoice covering the work back to the seller then they may compensate you. They said there were examples of Tesco doing this. Cost of work is about £100 total.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links