Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius + Mpg

johnwade06

Hi all. Just joined so apologies if this question is old hat.

Prius+ 'bumph' talks about a combined fuel efficiency of 65mpg.

I can't get higher than 57mpg and on average it's more like 52mpg.

I probably do about 80% of my miles on the motorway and most of the rest on country roads.

What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

From what I read on here and other forums, the hybrid system suffers from poor mpg in the winter because the engine has to be ran for longer to heat the cabin etc.

There are a few posts on here that mention approx 15% drops in efficiency when the winter strikes.

• Like 1

Hi Have you tried blocking part of the radiator this improves my fuel consumption by 4mpg (Gen 2 prius Tspirit)

Hi all. Just joined so apologies if this question is old hat.

Prius+ 'bumph' talks about a combined fuel efficiency of 65mpg.

I can't get higher than 57mpg and on average it's more like 52mpg.

I probably do about 80% of my miles on the motorway and most of the rest on country roads.

What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

The figures quoted by the manufacturers show how the vehicle performs in a standard test procedure defined by the authorities. The results allow a reasonably objective comparison with other vehicles but is not an accurate prediction of the consumption that you will get personally. Your personal consumption will depend upon a whole range of variables and these are highly unlikely to match closely to those chosen for the standardised test.

If you want to get a realistic view of the range of consumption performance achieved by Prius drivers have a look at a site such as Fuelly (click on the box at foot of this post). Take some time to explore the site, there is a lot of information there. You might find it enlightening to do the same comparisons for other vehicles, including the one that you drove previously.

Having driven both Prius and Prius+, I think the Prius+ is much more badly affected by weather condition than the Prius. Winter is going to hit the fuel efficiency regardless but wind factor is more of a problem with Prius+ than the Prius.

On a journey consisting of 50% motorway and 50% country road/town, without wind I can do 60-63mpg but with wind of 15-20mph against me or sideways, the MPG drop to around 52-55mpg. These are on board value rather than fuelly.

The guys are all correct John, your consumption is fine for the time of year. You should be 5mpg+ better by summer. You can get some amazing mpg s but conditions need to be favourable, warm,, long runs between 30 and 60mph, or low speed town use.

Thanks all. Very impressed by your quick responses. Will see how things pick up as the weather improves.

Also mpgs get better as the Prius is 'run in'. New hybrid in the winter is the worst for mpgs. Things will only get better. :thumbsup:

Yes my Prius was purchased in the summer and I could quite easy get over 70mpg on a warm day for a 40 mile run, my average for that summer was 66.7mpg. but dropped to about 59mpg in the winter. My Auris which was only bought a month ago is only showing 56 mpg at the moment but the weather is very cold. I know it will improve when it gets warmer. This applies to all cars not just hybrids.