Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Cold Start Problems

Hev24

Hi All,

I'm new on here and would really appreciate some help!

W

Oops - pressed the wrong button there! We have a Corolla Verso 2.2 Diesel 56 plate and have great trouble atrting the car on cold mornings. We've had the car in the garage and had a new Battery and glow pugs fitted. All seemed to be well for a week although it did seem slow and took a couple of cranks to start before bursting into life. However, we have now had to get a jump start tonight and seem to be back to square one. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Oops - pressed the wrong button there! We have a Corolla Verso 2.2 Diesel 56 plate and have great trouble atrting the car on cold mornings. We've had the car in the garage and had a new battery and glow pugs fitted. All seemed to be well for a week although it did seem slow and took a couple of cranks to start before bursting into life. However, we have now had to get a jump start tonight and seem to be back to square one. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

starter motor? fuel filter?

Thanks for feedback. Will book into garage again fully armed with this info!

• 2 months later...

Forgot to come back and post an update! New starter motor required and car now starts better than ever.

• 4 years later...

A really good diagnosis table here:

Diesel Engine Problems
http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-problems

Everything on this table is checked off now for me.

Half the faulty glowplugs replaced and no significant improvement in starting.

However more recently, I have been using V-Power  and it 100% helps to start, but now it is too warm to see if this will fix the underlining problem by cleaning the injectors because I have not given enough time to clean as BP's vice president of fuel technology Anne-Marie Corr say we need to do 6300 miles with BP version of Shells V-Power called BP Ultimate Diesel but another source at BP say it takes just 2 tanks!!!. Whatever we know V-Power (and other non-supermarket Diesel) will instantly lubricate and give a higher amount of energy that is very noticeable in an old D4-D and not placebo like with most of the premium petrol users. I speculate that you can not run a D4-D engine for years on pure Diesel without the lubricating and cleaning additives, that are not in standard Supermarket fuel. 

By next winter the V-Power (may switch to BP Ultimate in August) should have clean out the entire fuel system plus I have a fuel filter change due during the next service. I also used a shot of Hydra Diesel Power Blast Injector Cleaner just before topping up with V-Power as the tank contained a quarter full of plain Supermarket Diesel.

I will report back in December/January.

I pray this will work on the injectors and I do not need to do the SCV hack that increases pressure from 50bar to massive 100bar (may just buy one of those Qashqai instead).

For the record, my symptoms had been - struggle to start on cold days under 7 degrees and compounded by the wet (moisture in the air) and will fail to start at less than 0 degrees. Once started will start again instantly withing about 5 hours. Smelly white smoke is given out when struggling to start that would indicate a pressure (SCV), crank speed or glowplugs that all checked out and fixed at Toyota (see quote below). Toyota diagnosis will spot low pressure failing SCV and mine were fine.

Out of interest do any of you know if lubrication in the Diesel will help the SCV work better?

Some great quotes from: http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-problems and we all fall into the white smoke category...

Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for:

• Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
  • Faulty injector pump
  • Dirty air cleaner
  • Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
  • Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)

White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

• Engine/pump timing out
  • Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
  • Low engine compression
  • Water/petrol in the fuel

Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil

• Worn cylinders or piston rings
  • Faulty valves or valve stem seals
  • Engine over full with engine oil
  • Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

Sources:
1. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/bp-claims-new-super-fuel-adds-21-miles-per-tank/
2. MOTEST Toyota Farnham
3. https://www.hydra-fueladditives.com/diesel-power-blast-injector-cleaner.html
4. http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-problems

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Sadly after running V-Power and injector cleaner and giving it a good long distance run around France and the UK all year, the weather got under 14 degrees one morning and the car had take 3 goes to get going. It's now on fleebay (with issue explained) as I don't need a headache and bother of the SCV replacement hack. Gone back to petrol cars as we do lots of short trips.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links