Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wish Me Luck

rambler

Right....the time has come.

My trusty Rav4 is going in for surgery tomorrow,hope to get the rasping noise sorted.

I have now got howling from the turbo ALL the time when i'm accelating,even though it pulls fine and no smoking.It actually sounds like someone blowing accross the top of an empty open bottle ? ? ? and loud.

Also hoping to get the HOT starting issue sorted.....cranks very slowly & labouriously and eventually re fires ,when re starting after its been on a long run and then turned off for about 10 mins.

So,see what the bill is this time.......if Toyota can solv it all.

Maybe my Rav4 is'nt so trusty after all :dontgetit: ......but none of the above have actually stopped it yet. :g:

Just want all these things sorted out.

Good luck, hope it all goes well tomorrow..

Always a stressful time when a loved one goes into hospital

May all be well carwise and walletwise Jamie

Del

Last one I heard like that turned out to be the turbo gasket. Cheap parts but quite a lot of labour.

Well......

Had the Rav4 assessed by local T dealership, their assesments......

Could be the veins on the turbo ? ? ?......fair enough, new turbo all in fitted £1200

Rasping noise on cold starting and sorting out the HOT STARTING.......possibly cam belt tensioner playing up ? ? ?, new Battery,starter motor & cam belt & tensioner all fitted £700.

Apparently.......they have had similar issues with the Avensis D4D re the turbo.

I have the Rav4 back now,...as ive always said ,it drives fine and i love it........but is it worth spending out all that on a vehicle thats worth perhaps £3k

I just don't know.......me needs to have a think about this,seriously.

If it breaks down in the meantime,guess i will have to have the work done.........

If the veins in the turbo do break off whilst i'm driving......what happens ? do i end up in a smokey heap at the road side ? ?

Too many could be's and possibly's for me. Especially being asked to spend near on £2k and it may not fix it?!

Dave

If it was me I would probably P/x for a newer Rav4..especailly as you now know what to look out for.
On the other hand you could argue once its sorted you have a good car..until the next issue appears that is?
It is an 11yr old vehicle.
But I equally understand how you can become attached to a car,I did it myself with my last one, and tbh was kind of sad to let it go.

Tough call Jamie. You need to do some serious sums.

What you need to know is what the current RAV is costing per month, including potential cost of current forecast repairs. Then you need to compare with a forecast monthly cost of a newer/alternative/more efficient vehicle.

Ultimately it's all down to what you can afford and there's no crystal ball with a different car either :ermm:

Tough call Jamie. You need to do some serious sums.

What you need to know is what the current RAV is costing per month, including potential cost of current forecast repairs. Then you need to compare with a forecast monthly cost of a newer/alternative/more efficient vehicle.

Ultimately it's all down to what you can afford and there's no crystal ball with a different car either :ermm:

Thats true..but you will get the peace of mind(and pocket) of a warranty.

As Dave DJ says, a lot of ifs and maybes to be spending close to 2/3rd the value of the car and that is without considering chances of a DMF in the future :(

i think i would be inclined to look at a P/ex for another newer vehicle if I were you UNLESS you are particulaly attached to it (nowt wrong with that!) and intend to keep for the foreseeable future (I sometimes regret selling my first RAV4.2 :( )

It does sound a bit "general" to me. There is getting up for 2k worth of generalism to me and they are bound to cover it in that. What if it is a £5 turbo gasket? Are they still going ahead with all that work?

Is there a way of temporarily bypassing/isolating the turbo to see if it is even that causing the noise?

If there is, wtf didn't the T man do that?!

Too many peeps suggesting abandoning ship for my liking, it hasn't broke down, it's "just a noise" at this stage.

Dave

• Like 1

Is there a way of temporarily bypassing/isolating the turbo to see if it is even that causing the noise?

If there is, wtf didn't the T man do that?!

Too many peeps suggesting abandoning ship for my liking, it hasn't broke down, it's "just a noise" at this stage.

Dave

Agree further I could not.......Jamie......apart from independents with engine oil fetishes, are there any other indies you can consult?

You seem to be working on £2000.00 worth of dartboard guesses...........awribest.

Big Kev

It does sound a bit "general" to me. There is getting up for 2k worth of generalism to me and they are bound to cover it in that. What if it is a £5 turbo gasket? Are they still going ahead with all that work?

No Don,nothing been done yet......those prices scared the h*ll out of me....really knocked me for six.

Giving it all some thought,as we all say.....its just wierd noises at the moment,it still pulls well,does'nt smoke,even my hesitation issue has dissapeared completley.

I have now booked my local indie village garage to do a smoke test in early april,see what that shows up.I'm hoping it will be a split hose....somewhere,or a gasket as you say.

He also said,i could buy a decent Yuasa Battery myself,then maybe a Denso starter motor to give the starting a whole new lease of life.........

As for the rasping sound on start up............just see how it goes,as it only lasts for a minute or so,..at the moment.

TBH........i'm determind to keep my beloved Rav,but..those costs outstrip the cars worth :(

Things like a turbo, etc..... Is this something that could be picked up in a breakers donated from an accident-damaged RAV4 souls a turbo be needed?

Make sure you have recovery cover and then at least there is some peace of mind against being stuck :)

Things like a turbo, etc..... Is this something that could be picked up in a breakers donated from an accident-damaged RAV4 souls a turbo be needed?

Make sure you have recovery cover and then at least there is some peace of mind against being stuck :)

I have Club Toyota full cover David,can't for the life of me see any info on the ducumentation re age of vehicle and / or mileage may have done.

I know some recovery firms state less than 100'000 miles,so i assume the Rac / club toyota cover would allow the vehicle to be any age , any mileage.

I am toying with removing all my toys though,roof lights,cycle rack,CB radio,as hav'nt been off roading for ages,and there's quite a lot of wiring to remove from under the carpets etc etc....just in case i have to get rid quick.:(

If it was me I would probably P/x for a newer Rav4..especailly as you now know what to look out for.

On the other hand you could argue once its sorted you have a good car..until the next issue appears that is?

But I equally understand how you can become attached to a car,I did it myself with my last one, and tbh was kind of sad to let it go.

Many things can be changed and still leave many more to go wrong... MMmmmm

Thats cars though..

If it were me I would let it go and put the coin towards a newer car if its possible. Cars once age creeps up can be a bottomless pit

Good luck with it Jamie.

I've just been through the same dilemma with the Merc coupe. Various electrics started playing up. Things like electric seats need to work as 2 of us drove it. Also, plans to tour the continent this summer so wanted something reliable.

9 year old car and highish mileage so worth under 3k.

Changed in December when dealers have targets to meet.

Good luck.

BTW, because Merc dealers are so expensive there is a network of reliable indies with computer equipment etc. Do any Toyota specific indies exist?

Thats cars though..

If it were me I would let it go and put the coin towards a newer car if its possible. Cars once age creeps up can be a bottomless pit

Good luck with it Jamie.

Much sense going down there, Jamie.....maybe time to cut the strings and change.....I allow for attachment, but can cause wallet detachment.

I've just been through the same dilemma with the Merc coupe. Various electrics started playing up. Things like electric seats need to work as 2 of us drove it. Also, plans to tour the continent this summer so wanted something reliable.

9 year old car and highish mileage so worth under 3k.

Changed in December when dealers have targets to meet.

Good luck.

BTW, because Merc dealers are so expensive there is a network of reliable indies with computer equipment etc. Do any Toyota specific indies exist?

I have a Toyota/Lexus indie fairly close and, for a change of front discs and pads using genuine parts, they quoted higher than Mr T.........................

Dunno about other work but that put me off.

That being said, the indie might have put all the pads in the right way up though :eek:

Edited by Davrav
  • Like 1

Thats cars though..

Good luck with it Jamie.

Much sense going down there, Jamie.....maybe time to cut the strings and change.....I allow for attachment, but can cause wallet detachment.

Well put Kev haha..didnt need my translating link either . ;)

Well,after a lovely days walking today,on my way home i stopped off a village shop briefly..as i usually do,turned engine off.

Went back to vehicle,after about 5 mins and ......omg.

It took 4 attempts to start the engine,and each attempt was seriously slow cranking for at least 5 seconds,didnt matter if i put clutch in,foot on accelerator....it just would'nt fire.

And just as i was about to call the Rac,i gave it one last chance.......and it fired.......just.

So.....am sitting at home ,typing this and just wondering what i would replace it with ? ? ?

I'm not a fan of the 4.3 ( sorry all you 4.3 owners ) and my budget would be around £8 to £10k,and it would have to be blue and preferably diesel :lol:

There are, or have been, some stonkingly good low mileage 2005 rav 4.2 on eBay in recent mumphs, Jamie......5 grand to grand range.

.......ad just did wee search....still some good wans to be had.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links