Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Problem

gner8r

Hi all,

well i have been have a proble with my 2001 toyot corolla the ABS light is constantly on, so after some reading i have found that you are suppose to jumper pins Tc ad E1 and turn the key on and then the ABS light will flicker and give you your fault codes

so the fault codes that i have are (i got what they mean from http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/47053-abs-and-speed-sensor-diagnostics/)

34 — Problem in left rear wheel speed sensor circuit.

41 — Battery voltage too low or high (under 9.5 volts or over 16.2 volts). Check Battery and charging system.

49 - ?

i dont know what 49 is and why is 41 showing up as my Battery is new, am i on the right track here and do these fault codes mean what i have above

thanks in advance

code 49 apparently relates to your brake lights, or specifically the switch that activates them on your brake pedal - are they working correctly?

you say your Battery is new, so code 41 may be an old code stored if you were having problems with a flat/dodgy Battery recently.

Test your Battery voltage with engine off - should be around 12 volts. Try it with the engine running and it should be around 14 volts.

code 34 is pretty self explanatory - could be a dirty sensor; these are magnetic and if they haven't been cleaned in 12 years then they are potentially covered in little iron filings. This can interfere with their readings. Fixing this can be as simple as unbolting the sensor and wiping it clean.

They are normally held in with one bolt, but be very careful removing them as they are easily broken.

There are ways to test their function using a multimeter if you have a search about on google.

One other possibility is a bad electrical ground on the ABS system. Not entirely sure where the ABS module is on your Corolla, but it should be in the side of the engine bay with brake lines running to it. Check any electrical connections for soundness and corrosion.

Hope this is of some help.

code 49 apparently relates to your brake lights, or specifically the switch that activates them on your brake pedal - are they working correctly?

make sense about the brake light code 49, well my hand brake light doesnt turn off when its lowered i think its the switch problem ill double check it on the weekend ill also do the same to the abs sensor and let you know know how i went

abother question is how do i clear all these codes?

The handbrake light staying on when the handbrake is released could be the handbrake switch, but it could also be low brake fluid. Check the brake fluid reservoir to ensure it is between min and max.

How to reset the light - taken from another forum and no way of knowing if this is the correct procedure...

This is performed whilst you have the diagnostic connector terminals jumpered when reading the codes.

"NOW you can clear the codes. Just tap the brakes rapidly 8 or more times, about two taps per second. You don't have to jam on the brakes, just tap them enough to blink the brake lights. If you're successful, the ABS light should return to its normal fast blinking. Now remove the jumper wire, and finally turn off the key."

thanks garethpaul i ended up takiing out the ANS sensor and cleaned it up it had a some metal debris on it, put it back

reset set the codes using this tap brakes 8 times method and perfect,

all liht including the handbrake warnign light are now off

thanks porblem solved

wow, that's great. I hope it stays that way for you.

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

• 9 months later...

I have an AE112R 99 corolla which came up with the ABS light on. Thanks to this forum I came up with code 49 which is related to brakes. Both tail lights had blown put high mount was OK. Replace both bulbs, problem fixed for $2.99!

• 1 year later...

Hello, sorry to drag up an old thread but it seemed the appropriate place.

I have a 2001 e11 Corolla Calida

ABS light is on, sometimes goes off when first started but at speeds over about 25mph it's back on.

Battery is good, all brake lights good, no fault codes reported via ODB port.

I'm guessing it's cracked reluctor ring or dodgy sensor, but knowing which one would be a helpful start.

I've downloaded and read the PDF about diagnosing ABS light faults but I absolutely cannot find the test point with the contacts "Tc" "E1" etc. Where is this supposed to be located? I feel I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't seem to say where it's located in the instructions but everyone else seems to have found it OK.

Thanks in advance.

Do not know which ABS PDF you have, but havej ust posted a link to a 2003 pdf in this post that might be different to your pdf ?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167311-abs-code-13-open-relay-circuit/

Edit, that PDF clearly shows the Tc pin , and from looking at other diagrams seems E1 is Earth, so any chassis connection/earth point should do, but check for yourself first before connecting the two.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm even more confused now though!

The thing I was looking for "DLC1" appears not to be on my car. And the PDF you kindly uploaded also seems to be not for my car, the instruments look different, I looked through the various other categories too and there are multiple differences to my vehicle. It seems there are 2 pins in the ODB port that can be shorted together in that model though, so this may work with mine, bit risky though I feel.

Well it clearly didn't seem risky enough because I just went out and tried it, got a fault code of "31" returned which means "front right speed sensor". Thanks so much for that. So now I know which wheel to attack. Are cracked rings common on this car or is the sensor the more likely culprit?

Thanks very much for the help :)

Glad it worked ok for you.

Afraid I have no personal experience of ABS sensor problems, though you should soon be able to inspect the ring and following the info in the above thread you might be able to check the sensor out ..? it might just be a build up of muck.

Seems front abs sensors are £35 from ecp.

• 5 years later...

ABS light on. Heard I can jump pin 3 and 14 on the OBD port to reset it. Should this also work on a 2003 Corolla. I tried and it was a no go.

8 hours ago, Paul230 said:

ABS light on. Heard I can jump pin 3 and 14 on the OBD port to reset it. Should this also work on a 2003 Corolla. I tried and it was a no go.

Removing the EFI fuse or Disconnecting the Battery for a minute should clear the old codes.

If its a 'hard' fault then it will return straight away.

Better to read out the code before clearing any, using those pins and the dash lights or a OBD code reader.

See this post  https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/194898-abs-not-working-other-error-codes-04-corolla-e120/

• 7 months later...

I have a 2016 corolla hatch with a wiring problem , but plug in trailer all good till I touch the brakes ABS light appears

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links