Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota 2010 1.33 Tr Common Problems

sword_fishx

Hi all

First post although a member for long time.

Thinking getting a 2010 1.33 TR with Stop/Start or a Mazda 2 1.3

Can't really decide which to get.

Just wondering if someone could give me details on common faults/problems for the 1.33 TR.

I have been to the Honestjohn website but there does not appear to be much there. So hoping for some information from people to already own the 1.33 TR on a 2010 plate.

I have read about the stiff gearbox problems, solved by using different washer etc, but I believe this only applies to the old shape Yaris.

I would appreicated any advice/info thank you

The HJ review of the current Yaris (from 2011) doesn't have enough feedback for common problems on the current Yaris. If you're looking for a 2010 1.33 TR, this will be the old shape (produced 2006 to 2011), and there are some potential problem areas highlighted in the HJ review of that model.

Hi Frostyballs

Thank for the reply. I did have a look on HJ. I was hoping to get feedback from owners of the car. Any problems they had experienced.

The engine in you car is that the same as the one in the Yaris? You had any issues.

Thanks

No. I had a 2009 Auris 1.33TR from new - absolutely no issues in the three years I had it. Changed it in October 2012 for a new 1.33, and again, no issues.

The Auris is heavier than the Yaris, yet the 1.33 is fine. Lively enough around town. Bit more economical than previous Corolla 1.4.

We go up to Skye each May - two of us with a full load of luggage (back seats folded, etc). Cruises easily at 70-90. Needs changing down to 5th from 6th for inclines. Have had up to 48mpg out of the 2009 one on this trip.

I have found the following issues reading on the internet, for the 1.33 TR with STOP/START.

Can someone confirm these

Gear issues, selecting 1st/2nd in the cold

Water Pump leaking

Grabbing brakes, or noisey brakes

Jerky Acceleration, maybe due to fly by wire electronic accelerator pedel

The starter motor is not as we have known it to be, it is something different. Although not been trouble some

Thanks

Maybe not much help but I have a 1.3 Yaris, so engine aside it's basically the same. I can confirm that on my car 1st/2nd are a bit stiff until it's warmed up and the brakes are a bit noisy, but I've owned it a year and nothing has gone majorly wrong yet. I certainly wouldn't change the car based on these minor faults.

I experienced none of these in either of my Auris - which uses the same engine/gearbox.

I've got an 09 reg 1.33 owned from new (40k+ miles) and I've been really happy with it. You'll need to work out whether an 09 reg is the same model as the 2010 you're looking at, it may not be.

In answer to your questions...

"Gear issues, selecting 1st/2nd in the cold"
Yes, sometimes it can seem a bit hard getting it into first sometimes at low speeds but not so it's a major problem, just I think I'm needing to push a bit too hard. All other gear changes are really smooth. In the 4 years I've had it I haven't worked out the pattern for when it'll be a problem because it's so infrequent, maybe changing down from 2nd to 1st, but I don't think it's temperature related.

"Water Pump leaking"
No, I've not experienced that.

"Grabbing brakes, or noisy brakes"
No, I've not experienced that.

"Jerky Acceleration, maybe due to fly by wire electronic accelerator pedal"
No, not at all.

... The only issues I've had are....

In the fist 6 months there was a couple of times (maybe 4) where it wouldn't turn over in the morning. Obviously for a new car this'd disconcert you a bit / lot. 4 years on and this is a thing of the past now, it just doesn't happen, I know if I went out now it'd start fine, I have complete confidence in it. Maybe this was specific to my car.

...and...

the windscreen washer jets seem like a weak design. When all's well they spread a good mist of water over the windscreen but in cold weather they seem prone to clogging up earlier than I'd expect. This can be avoided by using a heavier-duty solution but they definitely seem less effective in the cold than other cars I need to drive. It'd be interesting to see if other 2006/11 owners have the same issue.

Hope that helps a bit and If you've any questions let me know.

Take it easy,
Mick

Thank you for all your comments. Look forward to hearing some more. Not yet decided on Toyota Yaris or Mazda 2

We had one of the 1st generation Mazda 2's for four years from new (a 57 reg Mazda 2 Capella). With both generations, versions above the base model use 16 inch alloys, with 45 profile tyres - which does make the ride rather hard.

With the current 2, versions above the base TS have 45 profile tyres.

When we swopped to a new Hyundai i20, the ride in that is far better (60 profile tyres).

We had one of the 1st generation Mazda 2's for four years from new (a 57 reg Mazda 2 Capella). With both generations, versions above the base model use 16 inch alloys, with 45 profile tyres - which does make the ride rather hard.

With the current 2, versions above the base TS have 45 profile tyres.

When we swopped to a new Hyundai i20, the ride in that is far better (60 profile tyres).

As I understand it you are nearly correct with the wheels options. I believe that the TS has 15'' steel wheels, the TS2 has 15'' alloy wheels (normal tyres) and the rest of models have 16'' alloy wheels with low profile tyres.

The TS2 is the automatic 1.5 litre version of the 5 door - which has 15 inch alloys. If one wants a manual, everything above the base TS has 16 inch alloys with 45 profile tyres.

The TS2 is the automatic 1.5 litre version of the 5 door - which has 15 inch alloys. If one wants a manual, everything above the base TS has 16 inch alloys with 45 profile tyres.

I have just looked on the Mazda site and it states that the TS2 is a manual 1.3 engine (1349cc). This has 15'' alloys, all the models above that has 16'' alloys.

The TS model has 15'' steel wheels.

We test drove the Mazda 2 in April 2012 before deciding on a Hyundai i20 - the TS2 is definitely available only with a 1.5 102bhp engine with auto gearbox. The Tamura replaced the manual TS2.

Don't know what part of the Mazda site you looked at, but the specs and prices page for the Mazda 2 states which engine comes in which trim level - http://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda2/specs-and-prices/

I have just checked the Mazda site and agree with you, it has changed since I last looked at it.

I own a 60 plate Yaris TR 1.33 with Stop/Start (as well as a 58 plate Yaris 1.3 TR) and can say . .

Now and again from cold it can be a bit stiff between 1st and 2nd, I've usually noticed it requires a bit more of a push to get it into 1st. But that's about it really, very sound car, great quiet smooth engine. Stop/Start works brilliantly too.

Will admit once or twice it hasn't caught first time when it's been cranked but it is VERY rare for this to happen. I use this car as a driving school vehicle and the learners love it. One or two are jumpy with the Stop/Start kicking in but they soon get used to it plus it can be disabled.

I've driven a Mazda 2 Tamura and can say . . . they are great cars to drive but for me I had to have the Yaris.

Hi all, thank you for all replies. Interesting read.

I decided the Stop/Start was something that concerned me with regards to reliability.

I decided to go for a 2011, Mazda 2. 1.3 tamara.

Hope I have made the right choice.