Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really Slow To Fill With Fuel

friedfrog

Hello peeps,

Last week whilst filling with fuel noticed that fuel was leaking on to the floor from behind bodywork. Had it to the menders where they replaced the fuel filler pipe that runs between the filler cap and petrol tank. Since it's been done it is really really slow to fill, cutting out about every 10 - 15 pence worth of petrol.

Just had it back to the fixers for them to correct it, they have had the pipe back off and re-fitted and looked at any anti-syphon baffles etc. etc,, they said they could see no apparent fault, they have spent a couple of hours looking at it.

The fuel filled fine before the 'repair', but takes forever now.

Any ideas?

BTW it feels like an airlock, but apparently not.

Cheers peeps,

Ant.

there are normally two connections to the filler neck from the tank - the main filling tube and a small vent tube. The air from the tank when you fill is expelled through this vent tube preventing blow back through the fill tube.

Is the vent tube connected properly, e.g. not kinked?

Did they make this new filler neck or was it supplied off the shelf to fit your car - does it have this vent tube?

Other possibility is that the fill tube could possibly be narrower than the original one.

I've changed my filler neck due to it rusting through and dumping fuel on the forecourt like yours, and can't say I've ever had the problem you have.

there are normally two connections to the filler neck from the tank - the main filling tube and a small vent tube. The air from the tank when you fill is expelled through this vent tube preventing blow back through the fill tube.

Is the vent tube connected properly, e.g. not kinked?

Did they make this new filler neck or was it supplied off the shelf to fit your car - does it have this vent tube?

Other possibility is that the fill tube could possibly be narrower than the original one.

I've changed my filler neck due to it rusting through and dumping fuel on the forecourt like yours, and can't say I've ever had the problem you have.

Cheers for your reply,

The part they used was an off the shelf part, they never mentioned anything about a vent tube at the garage, is this supplied connected to or with the off the shelf part or can I buy a vent tube separately and if so can it be fitted without removing fuel tank? The menders said something about having the tank off as there is venting on the tank itself, that might have become blocked, which sounded a bit wrong to me....?

BTW, they said the filler pipe was not kinked.

Cheers again,

Ant.

The vent pipe is usually attached to the filler neck and are part of it - at least on mine it was.

I've jusd had a quick look on eBay for one, and come across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230911598568 which i think is the same as on your car. This looks like it has 2 vent tubes. These are connected to the tank by a short length of rubber hose. If this hose is original, it may have become soft and collapsed internally when messed around with, blocking the passage of air.

The only venting I am aware of is through the filler neck and it's associated piping. This terminates just before the petrol cap which itself has a pressure relief valve. This is why you can notice a hissing noise when you remove the petrol cap sometimes.

Thanks for that answer and the eBay link.

I'm currently waiting for a celica repair manual to arrive in the post, hopefully that'll give me some kind of 'how to' guide. I will have a quick look today, time and weather permitting and see if I can re-connect or replace the rubber hoses, any hints would be much appreciated in the meantime.

Cheers,

Ant.